Pick a Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With a family, I'd love to get a ROAD specialty.

I'm really interested in Anesthesiology.

However, when all is said and done, I've read most students change their minds at some point in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will obviously be able to make a more informed decision after my rotations in medical school, but after working in an ER for over a year, I would love to have that as a specialty. I like that it's a little bit of every specialty!

I like too many things to pick a specialty this early with no shadowing done yet.

I would really like to go into Infectious Disease as of right now. I am absolutely fascinated by the inner-workings of HIV and would like to do research in that area, as well as treat HIV patients.

A major reason for this is that I cant stand the stigma and shame that accompanies HIV infection and I would like to educate as many people as possible on the issue.

Possibilities Right Now:

EM
Infectious Disease
Allergy/Immunology
Pathology
Rad Onc if I crush Step I, lol

Radiology,Neurosurgery,EM.

Unfortunately for me, I am not smart enough to even put spaces after commas.

I'm have an interest in IM, specifically Allergy/Immunology, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Infectious Diseases, and Pulmonology.

This thread got me thinking, since I have various areas of interest in each of these sub-specialties of IM, how on earth do you choose what fellowships to apply to after residency?? I don't know if I could choose between all of them. I like the medical problems and life-styles each has to offer?

I'm have an interest in IM, specifically Allergy/Immunology, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Infectious Diseases, and Pulmonology.

This thread got me thinking, since I have various areas of interest in each of these sub-specialties of IM, how on earth do you choose what fellowships to apply to after residency?? I don't know if I could choose between all of them. I like the medical problems and life-styles each has to offer?

You'll get a decent amount of exposure to the Im specialties during the preclinical years, try to shadow and see as much as you can of any of the fields.

Yeah, but his point is that you really have no idea. I mean, you have interests, but at this point you really cannot even match that to specialties. It takes a lot more exposure to something to see what it's really like to be doing that. And you can't dismiss the realities of medicine. You may end up loving pathology, but do you love the fact that their job market is horrible and many residents have trouble finding jobs? Maybe you like kids, but if you have $300,000 in debt at the end of residency, do you really want to try and make it off $150,000 salary?

It's good to have interests and aspirations, just know they really are just shots in the dark at this point until you get more exposure. Then there is the reality that you don't always get what you want. You might want to go into radonc or derm or optho, but many simply won't be able to get in. There's plenty of time, just keep your mind open to the possibilities.

Yes, yes, I'm quite well aware, thank you. I do have an open mind, but am well aware of my inclinations. We'll see how it plays out. I don't have medical examiner tattooed on my left buttock.... or do I? Forensic pathologists aren't having the same difficulties as other pathologists, btw.

Pediatrics, emergency medicine, nephrology (i dunno i love the kidney haha its just so crazy how it works), neurology, ob/gyn, infectious diseases, immunology
as you can see i narrowed it down so much...

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I have three years to get into medical school, my list so far (based on shadowing and observations):

1) Neurology
2) Radiology
3) Cards, preferably invasive (hello 6 years post-grad training!)

reproductive endocrinology or trauma surgery... I know two completely different areas, but both so interesting!

Pathology, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Neurology, Infectious Disease. Maybe even critical care. Those sound good right about now, especially path. We'll see how my mind changes over the course of the next 4 years.

The more I learn, the more specialties interest me. Infectious disease, neurology, surgery/surgery sub-specialties, pathology, rural family practice...

Considering my aversion to direct sunlight (I burn very easily), it has been suggested that I should be a radiologist, but I think I'd rather not...

Every couple of months, I change my mind, lol. The flavor of the month is ophtho. :cool:

:laugh: This describes myself as well. In high school, I had my heart set on pathology then I changed because I learned that I would mostly work with dead people :scared:. I also considered dermatology, neurology, psychiatry, ID and anesthesiology (<--- just a few months ago).
Right now, I would LOVE the idea of being a neonatologist with a background in genetics :love:. I don't know how long that will last, though.:rolleyes:

Anesthesiology
or
Sleep Medicine

You're supposed to do something you love, and I love sleeping.

family or IM. maybe geriatrics.

surgery or bust.

I don't understand why someone would apply to medical school without knowing exactly what they want to get into... how did you people get interested in medicine in the first place, if there wasn't that one particular specialty that just made you think "I want to do this for the rest of my life"?

Things will change a lot 3rd year, because you'll find some things really interesting and some profoundly boring. It's good to have some ideas though, so you can try to set up some electives while they're available.

surgery or bust.

I don't understand why someone would apply to medical school without knowing exactly what they want to get into... how did you people get interested in medicine in the first place, if there wasn't that one particular specialty that just made you think "I want to do this for the rest of my life"?

I think there are some aspects of medicine that are universal, and people don't need to know a whole lot about a particular specialty to know that they want to be a doctor.

People that go into medicine thinking they know exactly what they want to do might be less successful because they are so focused on one topic, they don't put their heart into the full experience... if you are only interested in doing anesthesia, you might glaze over the trauma medicine stuff, or whatever, and end up doing poorly overall.

Besides, before actually going to med school, I doubt most people know enough about anything to decide what specialty they want... there may be a specialty they didn't even know about until med school.

There are definitely areas that I am interested in, but until I have the opportunity to learn about everything in more detail, I probably won't set my heart on any one in particular.

Oncology, Radiology, Cardiology

I'm worried that there aren't more people saying oncology. Why?

surgery or bust.

And all your previous surgical experience brought you to this conclusion?

surgery or bust.

Because it's a little concerning that someone would be so dead-set on something without having much if any experience in multiple specialties.

I'd say EM with an international med fellowship.

If that doesn't pan out, I could less readily see myself going into an EM critical care (depending on the boarding situation when I finish) or peds fellowship or IM then ID.

And all your previous surgical experience brought you to this conclusion?

Because it's a little concerning that someone would be so dead-set on something without having much if any experience in multiple specialties.

HAHAHAHA. Maybe some ppl are set on things for the money. But I agree. You can't be dead set on something you have limited exposure to.

And Cole, awesome signature by the way :thumbup:

surgery or bust.

I did aerospace research not long ago so I know that is one of the things I want to do, however, that requires me to complete another residency and then go for aerospace with the idea that I will be practicing in both areas.

How the f do you go into med school being dead set on radiology?

Like the dark?

Not want to work with ppl?

Like technology?

Easy living and good pay?

A brain tumor pressing on the logical part of your brain?

Any of these are equally possible.

according to Emergency! True Stories From the Nation's ERs (highly recommended), radiologist is defined as a person who dislikes people and making decisions. their national flower is the hedge.:thumbup:

Honestly I don't understand ppl getting that locked in on a field that they'll have no ability to really do anything in until pgy-2 and even then, only on a superficial level. I'm going into rads, but it certainly hasn't been one of those situations where I'm locked in and haven't considered other paths. It's more a situation where I'd be at a profound disadvantage applying to any other field with my field-specific research. I have three years of hardcore rads clinical experience, probably 500 hours in the reading room, and have no idea how I'd like the actual career because like I said, you won't really know until you're reading by yourself and dealing with day to
day things. For a premed to feel that way w/o even going through the clerkships is mind boggling.

I will obviously be able to make a more informed decision after my rotations in medical school, but after working in an ER for over a year, I would love to have that as a specialty. I like that it's a little bit of every specialty!

I worked as a tech in the ER and fell in love with it, everyday is different from the last. I am leaning towards emergency/trauma...but I am trying to keep an open mind and look forward to clerkships and rotations.

^^^ I thought I was the only one who noticed...I guess it's a joke(????)

Last edited:
Sports Medicine, Endocrinology, Cardiology, Toxicology or Gastroenterology.

pathology, doctor G medical examiner inspired me to do so lol.
Haha, I love her. Just by the way she talks (even if she's explaining gruesome discoveries), she always smiles and she's so expressive. She obviously has a serious passion for what she does.

Neurosurgery. If that's what I could pick right now, then that would be it, hands down.

General Surgery and Trauma, I'll probably change my mind in medical school, but I hope I don't.

Sports Med, General Surgery, and Urology....dont ask why, I have no answer. I wouldn't mind not having a specialty though, Gen practitioner is fine with me, also I think internal meds is interesting.

pretty optimistic, but right now its derm, facial plastic surgery, or orthopedic surgery.

basically any specialty that makes patients happy and confident after you're done with em. i love cosmetics too.

this is one comment that should be removed

^^^ I thought I was the only one who noticed...I guess it's a joke(????)

Muhali usually seems like a pretty normal person. I think this is just a bad joke. Seriously, though, not funny.

:confused::confused:

Pediatric gynecology IS a real field. Some children are born with serious defects of the urogenital tract that make it difficult for them to urinate normally, or else have other defects that (down the road) will cause a lot of pain and discomfort. You have to send them to either a pediatric urologist or a pediatric gynecologist.

Keep in mind, as well, that puberty starts in when many kids are still seeing their pediatrician. Endometriosis and PCOS in teenagers are not that uncommon and most OB/gyns have very little experience with peds (other than delivering children of teenage moms). Ovarian torsion (a surgical emergency) is also not that uncommon in teens.

When I was considering OB/gyn, I thought seriously about subspecializing in pediatric GYN. If you specialize in correction of birth defects, you can do some pretty neat surgeries, and the ability to correct the anatomy of a baby so that they live a happier, healthier life down the road is pretty awesome.

Finally, unless you have ever had the misfortune of having to work up a child that you suspect has been raped/abused, you don't appreciate how hard it is to do a pelvic/rape kit on a kid....again, something that a pediatric OB/gyn has specialized training in.

So, maybe that poster was making a poor joke, but it IS a real field, with the potential to really help a lot of kids who need it.

neuropsychiatry or behavioral neurology

I hope that commented wasn't directed at me. I didn't exactly throw a dart at a wall to make it an interest.