Pick a Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pediatric oncology, however lately i've been thinking neonatology would be pretty awesome as well....regardless it will be some sort of pediatrics bc kids/babies are cooler than adults

Members don't see this ad.

pediatric oncology, however lately i've been thinking neonatology would be pretty awesome as well....regardless it will be some sort of pediatrics bc kids/babies are cooler than adults
You are a stronger soul than I. I don't think I could EVER do ped-onc, but I am very interested in neonatalogy. Reading stories online about kids with cancer is like a knife through my heart. My kids would get pissed at me because I wouldn't let go of them after I got home.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a stronger soul than I. I don't think I could EVER do ped-onc, but I am very interested in neonatalogy. Reading stories online about kids with cancer is like a knife through my heart. My kids would get pissed at me because I wouldn't let go of them after I got home.

yea people look at me like i'm out of my mind when i tell them that's what i'm thinking about, and my fam doesn't think i could do it but we'll see....i really hope i can handle it but since i went pre-med i haven't changed my mind yet (but what the hell do i know hah)

yea people look at me like i'm out of my mind when i tell them that's what i'm thinking about, and my fam doesn't think i could do it but we'll see....i really hope i can handle it but since i went pre-med i haven't changed my mind yet (but what the hell do i know hah)
Well, I think what I've heard 'round here is that, generally, ped-onc has more success stories than adult oncology. Kids are surprisingly resilient little creatures (one of the things I like about neonatal), but when you have a patient that's terminal, it's obviously much, much sadder.

Dude it's all about radiation oncology. Intellectually stimulating, great hours, great salary, and in my opinion the most technologically advanced field! :)

There's too many choices and too soon to tell. Right now I'm too busy trying to decide if I wanna go D.O. or janitor.

I'm applying to medical school (eep, or going now with my first acceptance!) for child psych, pediatric neuro, or pediatrics. I think it's most likely I'll end up in child psych (I previously was thinking PhD clinical for child psych, so it's been the plan) but other related areas interest me alot, and I might like the day to day better, although all my exposure to psych/ER psych/child psych have been really positive.

Also of interest: Infectious disease, radiology (I <3 physics and pretty pictures), and dermatology, but I rather doubt I'll enter any of these fields. For me it's not a question of what I like, but what I like best, since I've enjoyed every exposure I've had so far.

There's too many choices and too soon to tell. Right now I'm too busy trying to decide if I wanna go D.O. or janitor.

2nd funniest thread on SDN (after Things I Learned From My Patients)

I've mostly worked in infectious disease, so I could see myself continuing the path. Really like the research, the efficacy of most therapies, and also the great international opportunities you get with it!

But I also have this infatuation with manual work and aggressive treatment, so I think surgery might be an option. The trick for me would be to find a field in surgery with good research prospects, because I really want to go into academia. Perhaps oncological surgery, or transplant surgery?

Definitely not interested in psych or neurology... But who knows, I do realize that I know next to nothing about most of these fields!!!

I propose we save this thread and come back to it in 4 years and post our actual chosen specialties!! It would be very enlightening for future generations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another one that's been around forever, but is relevant to this thread.

And, how long is the residency to be this type of doctor?

doctor_who_wideweb__470x355.jpg

[This Doctor > Dr. House.]
:love: :thumbup:

Neurology

Dude it's all about radiation oncology. Intellectually stimulating, great hours, great salary, and in my opinion the most technologically advanced field! :)
This! :thumbup:

I love all things cancer related and radiation oncology is what interests me the most. They get to play with awesome toys. I hear they're the best versed on cancer literature and I plan on staying in academics. Good stuff!

1. reconstructive surgery

2. anesthesiology

3. hematology/oncology

family medicine, pediatrics or joint residencies with them (IM/Peds, FM/IM, FM/EM)

Way too early for you guys to pick something. 99% of you will change your minds as you have no idea what said specialty entails in work, etc until you actually live it 3rd and 4th years.

I don't think this is entirely true, although I am taking this viewpoint going into medical school.

However, I do know a few things about myself that I think add to what I may be interested in:

I like working in a fast-paced, high-stress environment: EM/Surgery
I'm really good at "physical sciences" and computers, maybe even better than my "biological sciences": Diagnostic/Interventional Radiology / Radiation Oncology.

Something I'm kinda interested in right now is the NHSP... but they don't usually allow combined IM/EM residencies =(

My top choice (aerospace) requires you to already have completed a residency so that is why I'm listing it as I am.

1) Aerospace medicine/Family Medicine - want to help the LGBT community with the FM side since I'm trans and have faced a metric ton of discrimination on the medical side because of it. Some of my friends have died because doctors, even primary care, refused to see them.

2) Aerospace medicine/Neurology - have a very long standing interest in neurology. I have this gut feeling that I would be a horrible neurologist though.

3) Aerospace medicine/Emergency with an interest in Wilderness and Extreme Environments - I've obviously read too many survival books or books on the 96 Everest disaster.

Proctology...Just so I can have a reason to get a liscense plate that says "DatAzz1"

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards orthopedics. Just from my brief interactions with orthopedic surgeons and residence, and from what I have read and observed, I think it would be a good match. I'm really into sports, I like fixing things, I know how to use power tools, and musculoskeletal problems are really interesting.

If I'm not competitive enough for orthopedics, I've thought EM or GS would also be interesting. But for now, I will be gunning for Ortho.

Ophtho is the ONE specialty I am absolutely sure I won't go into. Eye surgery freaks me out.

You know me so well! Ob/Gyn FTW! Most likely general Ob/Gyn; REI and MFM appeal to me, but I think I'd miss doing more deliveries if I went that route.

I think it's hilarious that we seem to be the only two nuts on pre-allo that want to got his route.

Second option, pediatrics/neonatology.

Also, that flowchart is hilarious! But where is Ob/Gyn on it? It should probably be on the crazy side.

I actually was totally Ob/gyn for maybe a year until recently. I love watching deliveries and would love to do them. BUT, I do want to have more stability in my life than OB/gyn affords so I had to switch. I"m hoping I'd be able to scrub in (if i go the anesthesia route) on some C-sections!

I too seem to change my mind every week, lol. I will probably end up in IM but I'm also considering OB, heme/onc, and even emergency medicine. I was really hoping I would fall in love with diagnostic radiology for the obvious reasons (great hours, kick azz pay, etc.) but I'm afraid it is just too freaking boring for me, lol...

Generally hoping to work with the younger population atm. Neonatal, Peds, or Ob/Gyn (lol indirectly younger).

So with you on the Optho thing. Yuckk

Cardiology/pediatric cardiology, Ped. Oncology, Anesthesia, possibly some kind of surgery ..

FM probably... I have a specific thing in mind that I want to do, though.

Ophthalmology, hands down.

Hmmm, I did not know this about you!

You know me so well! Ob/Gyn FTW! Most likely general Ob/Gyn; REI and MFM appeal to me, but I think I'd miss doing more deliveries if I went that route.

I think it's hilarious that we seem to be the only two nuts on pre-allo that want to got his route.

Second option, pediatrics/neonatology.

Also, that flowchart is hilarious! But where is Ob/Gyn on it? It should probably be on the crazy side.

Yay, ob/gyn buddy! We've so talked about this several times, but among the fellowships, REI stood out to me the most. Again, I haven't put much thought into it and I feel like I'd be too burnt out by then. Do you know how many years the fellowships are?

I worried that I'm so focused on ob/gyn. It just seems to have everything that I'm looking for. I'm also not married and don't have a family yet, so lifestyle doesn't quite come into the picture. Then again, you don't hear people gunning for ob/gyn everyday like they do for derm!

The crazy side is too small. I suggest another tab under Attention Span for "Somewhere in the middle." Then "Likes to look at penises" -> Urology and "Likes to look at vaginas" ->Ob/Gyn. :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ophtho is the ONE specialty I am absolutely sure I won't go into. Eye surgery freaks me out.

Yup, in agreement once again!

Cardiothoracic surgery :love:

Either that or Interventional Rads.

Incredibly uneducated and premature guesses:

Diggin' Procedures / Med : Otolaryngology

Feeling the tech: Rads

All about micro: Infectious diseases

I'm really excited to shadow some physicians next year and start narrowing my choices.

Probably not surgery or primary care. Pathology and the IM subspecialties sound great to me.

Either Emergency Medicine or Plastics. Probably EM though. I've wanted to work in the Emergency Room since I was little.

Pediatric cardiology or pedi critical care (or both). That's the flavor for this week anyways...

cancer by kids. u might get really miserable from the nature of this profession. just saying.

cancer by kids. u might get really miserable from the nature of this profession. just saying.

Pedi heme/onc can have good outcomes. Very high ALL survival rates, for example.

Pedi heme/onc can have good outcomes. Very high ALL survival rates, for example.

kids with cancer is like the saddest thing this plannet has to offer, except for dead innocent babies/kids from some form of violence and starvation and stupid parents.

Ob/gyn, hoping to work with the teenage/college student age group. More so the Gyno as appose to the OB side of things. Not to excited about the prospect of deliveries ruling my life, however I may LOVE IT once I rotate through it and experience the daily grind of an ob/gyn... or may hate it all together and go into something else. For the moment, the combination of med/surgery maybe perfect enough to keep me from ever being bored or things turning too mundane. Otherwise, IM or peds.

1.) anything where I can also be trained with robotic surgery. I like gastroenterology, since I love some of the technology used with endoscopic surgeries nowadays, and I believe they can also be trained on the robots.

2.) possibly trauma medicine. I know hours suck, and there's little patient continuity, so who knows with that.

3.) psychiatry- I like analyzing people and telling them why they're messed up (jk). Actually, my fiancee is training for the PhD in psychology, so we could open a practice together if I went psyc ;-)