Picked UCSD over Berkeley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatscott12

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to say that I am posting this not to necessarily seek reassurance although that may seem contradictory but just to see if I significantly hindered my chances of an admission into Med school or potentially increased them.

So basically I was admitted to both campuses. At first I had chosen Cal because we all know the prestige that comes with it, I had the chance to be there for a semester but something just didn’t feel like it was my fit. I felt as if a the school lacked a lot of things one might expect from such a prestigious school. Despite this I did well in my class getting an ‘A’ but I couldn’t see myself being happy in the long run.

I decided to look into UC San Diego and a key factor for me was the fact that there is a Med school on campus with tons of opportunities for research and shadowing/volunteering. I also saw their pre Med advising was more developed while I kept hearing that Cal had no advising. I can say I’m overall happy with my choice which in the end is all that matters.
I guess the only thing I’d like to know is if medical schools will look down on me vs someone who went to Cal, and if the prestige is really worth losing all of the perks a school such as UCSD has+ potentially succeeding more due to feeling more comfortable. I’m sure academics are equally as hard as they’re both top notch institutions but Cal carries weight in its brand, as UCSD does but I’m sure you all understand what I mean.
My major at call was Molecular and Cell Biology, at UCSD it is Human Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Go where you’re happy.

Reactions: 5 users
As a Cal grad, let me tell you that the "prestige" means nothing once you enter the real world. (I heard it does matter if you want to get into academia though). Nobody cares that you went to a top X school once you become a working adult, medicine or otherwise. Go where it makes you happy.

Trust me, I remember more about how I was paying 800-1000 bucks to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other people, the smell of piss in the streets, and high cost of living than I remember about how prestigious Cal is.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a Cal grad, let me tell you that the "prestige" means nothing once you enter the real world. (I heard it does matter if you want to get into academia though). Nobody cares that you went to a top X school once you become a working adult, medicine or otherwise. Go where it makes you happy.

Trust me, I remember more about how I was paying 800-1000 bucks to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other people, the smell of piss in the streets, and high cost of living than I remember about how prestigious Cal is.

Isn't U Cal Berkeley notable for its large science class sizes, professors who prefer research to teaching and really tough science grading curves?

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't U Cal Berkeley notable for its large science class sizes, professors who prefer research to teaching and really tough science grading curves?

I was a math major, so my classes were usually quite small (20-30 people in upper divisions), so I don't have any first-hand experience with science classes.

But from what I heard from fellow premeds, they're definitely hard, but the "uninterested professor" thing isn't true at all. The curving though, yes it is 100% true for at least the weed-out courses.

Class sizes are large, but there's a ton of resources available so it never got in the way of anything imo.

The BIGGEST thing Cal needs to fix is student housing. It's seriously depressing how much BS low-income students have to deal with there.

Reactions: 1 users

Go bears and here is an update: due to the housing crisis we actually demolished People's park and will build a new dorm.

• Wow
UCSD is definitely prestigious, too. You’ve got nothing to worry about.

Go bears and here is an update: due to the housing crisis we actually demolished People's park and will build a new dorm.
wait for real? #gobears

• Wow
I was admitted to every UC and I ended up boiling it down to UCSD and UCLA. I chose UCSD in the end despite UCLA's prestige. I since graduated and haven't looked back. It really depends on what the right school for you is, I personally chose UCSD because of the area and research programs available.

I hate to sound this way, even though it works to your advantage, but I don't think most people in medicine (at least outside of California) would think much of the difference between UCSD, UCLA, and Cal on someone's CV. I would say most people are aware that Cal is a good school, but it is not a head turner the way other top schools can be.

I hate to sound this way, even though it works to your advantage, but I don't think most people in medicine (at least outside of California) would think much of the difference between UCSD, UCLA, and Cal on someone's CV. I would say most people are aware that Cal is a good school, but it is not a head turner the way other top schools can be.
I actually disagree to a certain extent. I’ve worked across the us and abroad, and these are the 3 UCs that people get really excited about. Many people know HYP, but don’t know many of the other ivies.

The UCs in general are extremely well respected and have big names that people know carry quite a bit of weight with them

Edit- these 3 UCs are often listed as schools that send a bunch of students to various Med schools (check various class profiles and you’ll see this).

I actually disagree to a certain extent. I’ve worked across the us and abroad, and these are the 3 UCs that people get really excited about. Many people know HYP, but don’t know many of the other ivies.

The UCs in general are extremely well respected and have big names that people know carry quite a bit of weight with them

Edit- these 3 UCs are often listed as schools that send a bunch of students to various Med schools (check various class profiles and you’ll see this).
If you asked people to name top schools, anyone worth anything in academia will list Brown, Columbia, Cornell, and Penn. way before they think of UCSD lol. Cmon now.

UCBerkeley is notoriously difficult and competitive for premeds. Lots of grade deflation and everyone is a genius. Go where you will stand out, be happy, and not have to kill yourself to get good grades. A 3.8 at UCSD is way nicer than a 3.5 at Berkeley. I think you made a good choice.

Ultimately, this is life; go where you will be happy. If you start chasing “prestige” now, you may never stop, and never be happy where you are.

UCBerkeley is notoriously difficult and competitive for premeds. Lots of grade deflation and everyone is a genius. Go where you will stand out, be happy, and not have to kill yourself to get good grades. A 3.8 at UCSD is way nicer than a 3.5 at Berkeley. I think you made a good choice.

Ultimately, this is life; go where you will be happy. If you start chasing “prestige” now, you may never stop, and never be happy where you are.
Minor correction - all UCs got grade deflation! It's hard to earn 3.8 at all UCs (props to those who do)

• Wow

^^ Don't underestimate the value of being a big fish in a small pond