Picking a Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdelucia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last spring I came to the realization that I didn't like my major, which at the time was psychology, and choose it only because I was good at it. I was spending hours studying material that I didn't like or care about. I changed it to chemistry this semester, something I love to study but am not nearly as good at. This semester I did awful. I got a C in biochemistry and Bs in Physics with Calc I, Calc II and orgo lab. I managed an A- in an ethics class. I don't know if i should switch back to psychology to save my gpa or stay where I am and try even harder next semester. I just want to do what's best for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in whatever you want. You just need to take the pre-reqs. Figure out why you got C's and B's in the science courses and don't be afraid to ask for help early if you're struggling to understand things.

Reactions: 1 user
Major in whatever you want. You just need to take the pre-reqs. Figure out why you got C's and B's in the science courses and don't be afraid to ask for help early if you're struggling to understand things.
Thank you for your input! My B's are purely because I failed my finals (prior to finals those grades were As) because I was worried about my biochem grade. When I went to my professor for help he wasn't any and filled my mind with doubt that I was not capable of medical school. This consumed me and caused my poor performance during exam week. I'm working at moving forward with a better plan I'm just worried I'm not capable of maintaining a high GPA in chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input! My B's are purely because I failed my finals (prior to finals those grades were As) because I was worried about my biochem grade. When I went to my professor for help he wasn't any and filled my mind with doubt that I was not capable of medical school. This consumed me and caused my poor performance during exam week. I'm working at moving forward with a better plan I'm just worried I'm not capable of maintaining a high GPA in chemistry.
It's gonna be tough for anybody on this forum to help you overcome the stress and anxiety that often comes with taking a big test (especially when you have to take them one after another during finals week). Do your best to reflect on whatever shortcomings you may have and come up with a better system, and the mental resilience to not let petty things like a professor's silly opinion knock you down. Getting into med school isn't about natural brilliance. It's about knowing how to work your ass off to get the desired results.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard a speaker on campus say history majors have the best chance to get into medical school. Is there any link that shows this?