Picking a medical school based on gut feeling in the era of COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr4b

Reaction score
Hello all,

First off, I realize I am beyond lucky to be in this situation. I hold an acceptance at more than one school and realize I need to start thinking about which is the best for me. I know there are all the usual things I can consider like tuition, P/F etc. But I really expected gut feeling to be the largest determining factor for me, as it really was for my undergrad institution and I do not regret it one bit.

Cue COVID. I have gotten into schools in states I have never been to. Interview conversations and virtual "tours" did absolutely nothing for me, and I have had very little success reaching out to current students and getting honest takes on their experiences.

I feel so uncertain on how to make these choices and I would love some advice from other applicants or current students on how I may get an honest sense of if I will be happy at these places.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Best to inquire in the school-specific forums to find out the pros/cons of each school.

In general, go for the cheaper tuition, but you also have to take into account cost of living, crime rates, curriculum type, research quantity, quality of rotations, to name a few things.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the advice! For one school in particular I’ve had absolutely no success asking in the school specific forum and even messaging current students directly so I’m feeling at a loss. But perhaps that is a sign in itself...

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try looking at FB pages and groups for the schools, too. If you post the school names here, we may be able to connect you with current students.

Reactions: 1 user
Not much to add but I think it's crazy how we are paying hundreds of thousands of $s to go to school somewhere for 4 years while not even visiting the campus in person.

Hello all,

First off, I realize I am beyond lucky to be in this situation. I hold an acceptance at more than one school and realize I need to start thinking about which is the best for me. I know there are all the usual things I can consider like tuition, P/F etc. But I really expected gut feeling to be the largest determining factor for me, as it really was for my undergrad institution and I do not regret it one bit.

Cue COVID. I have gotten into schools in states I have never been to. Interview conversations and virtual "tours" did absolutely nothing for me, and I have had very little success reaching out to current students and getting honest takes on their experiences.

I feel so uncertain on how to make these choices and I would love some advice from other applicants or current students on how I may get an honest sense of if I will be happy at these places.

Thanks!
Major factors to consider:

1. Cost
2. Clinical education opportunities (i.e. where you will do the third and fourth years)
3. Abundance (or paucity) of residency programs
4. Cost
5. Cost

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Same. I reached out to current students, even ones that went to both institutions (through med school and undergrad), posted on FB pages, etc. I do have a gut feeling but I don't know if my assessments are accurate, or just generalizations, especially since a huge factor for me is location and vibe. I feel like all I have to go off are things that might not even be representative, that I might show up on day 1 and it might be different from what I expected

Reactions: 1 users
Same. I reached out to current students, even ones that went to both institutions (through med school and undergrad), posted on FB pages, etc. I do have a gut feeling but I don't know if my assessments are accurate, or just generalizations, especially since a huge factor for me is location and vibe. I feel like all I have to go off are things that might not even be representative, that I might show up on day 1 and it might be different from what I expected

Give yourself the time you need, but trust yourself!

Think of it this way: besides spending time as a student at both schools, is there really a way be 100% sure which works best for you?

You’ve done your research, trust that gut ;)

Best of luck!

Any chance you can narrow the list down to two or three schools and at least do a drive by (and see if maybe the school will let you walk the grounds)? I'd hate to commit 4+ years of my life to one area without ever setting foot on campus let alone the surrounding area.

Glad to hear I’m not alone in this tbh! It’s such a weird time to be making these huge decisions 🙃

Any chance you can narrow the list down to two or three schools and at least do a drive by (and see if maybe the school will let you walk the grounds)? I'd hate to commit 4+ years of my life to one area without ever setting foot on campus let alone the surrounding area.
I’m considering it- but we’re talking like big flights not drive bys. So in the pandemic that’s pretty daunting as well, especially when I doubt things will feel as they normally would in those places

Major factors to consider:

1. Cost
2. Clinical education opportunities (i.e. where you will do the third and fourth years)
3. Abundance (or paucity) of residency programs
4. Cost
5. Cost
Thanks for weighing in! Still waiting on financial info so maybe that will help with my indecision as well.

I’m considering it- but we’re talking like big flights not drive bys. So in the pandemic that’s pretty daunting as well, especially when I doubt things will feel as they normally would in those places
You and the other acceptees from this cycle are in a tough spot to be sure. I don't think SARS-CoV-2 is going to be going away any time soon for what it is worth to you. We'll probably have seasonal Covid just like the seasonal flu for at least a few years vaccination regimes notwithstanding.

Are any schools doing in-person "second looks" (or for this year, "first looks") in April ? Maybe some small group, scaled back visits ? Anyone heard of anything like that ?

Are any schools doing in-person "second looks" (or for this year, "first looks") in April ? Maybe some small group, scaled back visits ? Anyone heard of anything like that ?
I haven’t heard of any yet! One school I got in to definitively said they’re virtual. But if it was possible for them to do that it would be so helpful.