Picking Rotation Schedules (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBenaquista

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any upperclassmen have any advice for choosing a rotation schedule? Is it important to have the Medicine and Medicine Selectives in 4th year before Boards and the Match during 4th year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You want to do your electives away if your school allows in residency programs that you will consider applying to ideally these should be in different states. During these months (I did 5 away rotations) look at other programs ask for a tour of their program and a chance to talk with residents.

As far as what electives to did ID, IM sub-I, Ob-Gynx2, probably a month of anesthesia.

My school allowed me to complete a subspec i.e. to count toward the required 2 months IM rotation and Surg rotation thus I had more exposure to all fields in my third year. I did Gen Surg/ Peds Ortho then IM/ Cardiology. Also a good thing to do is to spend time in your hospital in a chosen field you have interest for example. I loved radiology and was able to stop by for a couple hours each week watch procedures and help read films--not only did it help me on other rotations but I got a good education in pathology.

I hope this was helpful let me know if you need more structured advice.

Diane

Diane,

thanks for the info, but how about a little more. as of now i'm really interested in cardio, and can't see myself changing my mind simply b/c the other fields i would be interested in simply aren't compatible with the type of family lifestyle i wish to lead as things progress. with that said, i would definitely do (apply to) the PCOM internship (fast track IM), and residency (IM) to get into cardio since we do have great success in placing residents in competitive fellowships. so do you think it really matters as much about doing away rotations at other hospitals? i plan to do away rotations, but do you think the scheduling logistics matter as much?

thanks a lot...we appreciate all the info!

Scott - MSII
PCOM