LSU Gladiator

A peppermint nightmare.
10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi Guys,

I was wondering how everyone felt about bringing a camera during an interview trip to take pictures of facilities and architecture? Obviously it wouldn't matter if we took pictures outside the med schools but would we seem too touristy if we took pictures at the medical school itself?

Note: It seems more financially feasible to me to take pictures than to make a trip for a second look weekend.

Cheers!

STXGregor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can't say whether it'll be looked down upon or not, but I can say that I didn't see any cameras during the actual interview activities during mine. After the day was over zi saw some, however.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There may not be any rules against it, but you'd definitely stick out. I never saw anyone with a camera at any of my interviews. If you don't mind sticking out, go for it.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
There may not be any rules against it, but you'd definitely stick out. I never saw anyone with a camera at any of my interviews. If you don't mind sticking out, go for it.
:thumbup: Agree. If you want to bring a camera and take pictures before or after the interview day / tour /etc., go for it. But if you're snapping pictures during the orientation or tour, you're going to look odd, or worse, that you don't really understand what the interview day is about (it's not an open house).

You want to leave a lasting impression of your competence, and that you're a good fit, not an oddball - I'd stow the camera until you're done for the day and on your own.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
:thumbup: Agree. If you want to bring a camera and take pictures before or after the interview day / tour /etc., go for it. But if you're snapping pictures during the orientation or tour, you're going to look odd, or worse, that you don't really understand what the interview day is about (it's not an open house).

You want to leave a lasting impression of your competence, and that you're a good fit, not an oddball - I'd stow the camera until you're done for the day and on your own.
Truer words have never been spoken.

qmcat

Heat
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2008
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Take pictures before or after your interview day on your own... I wouldn't do it during your actual interview day (lectures, interviews, tours, etc) it might give off a bad impression.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
If I were in your situation, I'd do the following:
-Take pictures after the interview, or early morning before leaving if that's how my schedule works out.
-Use my cell phone camera to be a bit less conspicuous. I have a 5 megapixel camera on my phone so everything works out pretty well like that.

That is if you really want to take pictures for an album or something and don't want to stand out, do the above, but sparingly