PICU Board Exam Prep Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgc217

"Let it Be"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Unsure if to post here as well*

Hello, everyone. PICU fellow here. 2nd year. What resources have you guys used for boards? Qbanks? Is there a concise review book? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone. PICU fellow here. 2nd year. What resources have you guys used for boards? Qbanks? Is there a concise review book? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I used PREP and this book with questions:

Also, most attendings will just have banks of questions from years past.

The SCCM has a PICU board prep program. It's pricy but probably worth it in the end. You're fortunate to be in a subspeciality that has such a course since most fields lack organizations to create them. Ditto on doing a ton of PREP questions. There probably is going to be some redundancy in gen peds review materials (for the acutely ill child obv) so hopefully you still have those. Probably not a bad idea to gather some helpful didactic materials from fellowship or at least starting to keep a library of them. You also have the added bonus of graduating on a no exam year...take advantage of it!

Looks like The Pediatric Critical Care: Text and Study Guide by Lucking, Maffei, Tamboro and Zaritsky got a 2nd edition in 2021. The first edition was getting a bit dated, but had a lot of rock solid principals reviewed and was a good foundational text.

The SCCM online course was helpful but depending on your available study time may not be the best tool. I find it really hard to sit through recorded lectures, particularly that were done as in-person conferences. Just not the best way for me to learn.

The good news is, compared to Gen Peds boards, the overall scope of questions are much more in line with what you will see as a practicing attending

Reactions: 1 user