2022 Peds Board Exam Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds1990

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I created this to discuss everything related to the 2022 ABP General Certification Exam in October 2022. Whether you are a first time test taker or repeat taker, share any questions or tips you may have for registration, study strategies and support.

Members don't see this ad.

The 2022 exam dates are October 11, 12, or 13 and the registration period is from Jan. 14, 2022, until 3 p.m. ET on March 31, 2022 (no exceptions)*

What are you planning on using for your board prep this year? I heard a lot of good things about the PBR book/audio lectures while driving to work and the online Medstudy question bank.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second PBR and medstudy questions. Used PBR book and audio chapters (useful for downtime or driving). I went over the book about 6 times in full. Also did about 10 years of prep questions.
Having failed 7 times and passed on my final attempt, I passed the year I studied the most but I felt the most unconfident ever leaving the test center. So the waiting almost 2 months for results killed me. Good luck to those taking it this year.

I second PBR and medstudy questions. Used PBR book and audio chapters (useful for downtime or driving). I went over the book about 6 times in full. Also did about 10 years of prep questions.
Having failed 7 times and passed on my final attempt, I passed the year I studied the most but I felt the most unconfident ever leaving the test center. So the waiting almost 2 months for results killed me. Good luck to those taking it this year.
that’s awesome, congrats on passing it. How do you access older PREP questions ? TIA

same question - I am having difficulty accessing PREP questions that are older than 2019

same question - I am having difficulty accessing PREP questions that are older than 2019

I had access from all the years I didn’t pass. But I hope the above link may help you guys.

MedStudy Qbank is much more representative of the actual ABP exam than PREP is. Also, don't forget that there is a free practice test on your ABP profile.

The ABP posted the 2021 exam pass rate results. First time test takers had an 81% pass rate which is on average about 10% lower than historical average (usually after reviewing previous years the average pass rate is around 90%). This is one of the lowest pass rates ever in recent history. I have included the link below to the website where it shows the national pass rate and lower on the page it has each residency program's specific pass rate for 2021. There were only a couple of programs with 3 year pass rates at 100%, which means pretty much every program in the country had at least 1 resident fail the exam this past year as a first time test taker.

The ABP posted the 2021 exam pass rate results. First time test takers had an 81% pass rate which is on average about 10% lower than historical average (usually after reviewing previous years the average pass rate is around 90%). This is one of the lowest pass rates ever in recent history. I have included the link below to the website where it shows the national pass rate and lower on the page it has each residency program's specific pass rate for 2021. There were only a couple of programs with 3 year pass rates at 100%, which means pretty much every program in the country had at least 1 resident fail the exam this past year as a first time test taker.

Wow, I didn’t realize the board pass rates got so high. A decade and a half ago, the average pass rate was 78%.
1647708574186.png

Appears it went up dramatically in 2012. I wonder what they changed? Not that I’m complaining. After all that time and work, the board pass rate should be high, but still wondering…

In 2012, the ABP changed their scoring system. Prior to that the bottom 20-25% of test takers each session auto-failed no matter what they scored. They decided that this was unfair and converted to the system we use now where roughly 75% correct is a pass. Because of this, pass rates shot up. This is better but we are still not as high our other primary care counterparts. The IM boards for example are easier than our boards and IMO they should at least be equivalent.

Hi, just wanted to ask about the answers to the 3 sample questions on the ABP prometric exam tutorial online. ABP Online Tutorial | The American Board of Pediatrics
I chose:
1. Patient is 3 years old
2. Seizures is the most common sequelae of bacterial meningitis (is it?)
3. Consult pediatric cardiology (guessed)

Incoming intern. Thanks!

how's studying going for everyone? have y'all started?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know about Truelearn? Medstudy is too expensive, and I plan to do another question bank.

Yep, started in June…using medstudy and PBR (the full, very expensive package🫠). I used Truelearn through residency. I think the questions are good to use in residency but they are too dense in my opinion for the boards. Like lots of random details that are more specialty/fellow level specific and not really needed for the boards so I dropped it.

I have the PBR book and medstudy. I have an education stipend which I can use for additional materials. Would you recommend PBR audio (download vs stream?) or PBR online video course? Or anything else?

I have used Trulearn, and my overall score is above the national average, but does anybody know how accurate this is? If there is somebody who used Trulearn and passed the actual board, please reply to this message.

I have used Trulearn, and my overall score is above the national average, but does anybody know how accurate this is? If there is somebody who used Trulearn and passed the actual board, please reply to this message.
TrueLearn is trash. Tons of wrong answers

TrueLearn is trash. Tons of wrong answers
That is why there are a lot of questions in Trulearn that only 10-30% of people get the correct answer to. I will ignore the Truelearn score and rely on the MedStudy score. Thank you so much for your reply.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow! We got this

How did you all guys feel with the test, just wondering? I thought some questions were hard, others were easy but your never know if the good ones are going to be enough. Curious about other thoughts.