Pikeville College Class Of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZimDoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am excited about Pikeville. has anyone heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I am excited about Pikeville. has anyone heard anything yet?

I was gonna start a post about this myself. I havent heard anything either, and my application has been complete in early August. Anyone else applied?

I was also complete at the beggining of August but have not heard anything. I think I will call today and find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
do they send you any confirmation when your secondary is complete? I think I'm going to call them too.

I've heard that Pikeville starts interviewing in November sometime. It is my top choice!! (Close second DCOM) I know several grads from there with nothing but GREAT things to say about the school. I hoping to get an interview with the school. It's so great that the tuition is all inclusive. It really allows the students an equal opportunity at a great education without worrying about having to come up with the money to pay for something needed in class. The cost of living is also very reasonable making it a great place for a student with a family to live. :love:

Opps.. forgot to add that I contacted Mrs. Hamilton via email and she was super great in sending me an email response to what was missing from my application. I'm still waiting on the DO I shadowed to write my LOR. Talk about worrying over something you have no control of. I remind him weekly so hopefully he will tire of me bothering him and just write it :)

do they send you any confirmation when your secondary is complete? I think I'm going to call them too.

I applied there last year and if I remember correctly, they send you a little yellow post card stating that you are complete. It also stated that if you are out of state to be aware that they prefer people from the region.

Good luck! :)

Yeah. I got a yellow postcard from PCSOM confirming my complete status back in early August.

I'm from SC is that considered part of the App region?

I applied there last year and if I remember correctly, they send you a little yellow post card stating that you are complete. It also stated that if you are out of state to be aware that they prefer people from the region.

Good luck! :)

Yes, I think I now vaguely remember a small yellow card in the mail.

I also got the little yellow card. I still have to withdraw my app though. Maybe I'll wait to see if I get an invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so great to know that there is pikeville fanatics there because i couldn't find too much infor. I talked to Ms Hamilton and she told me that they have not started reviewing the files yet, but in the next week or so. One of the best things about Pikeville is the tuition and how laid back it is. I understand that they give you a lot of attention and they go above and beyond the call of duty to succeed. This is my TOP choice and am looking forward to getting there. I received the yellow card too, but all schools say that. At the end of the day what really matters is your commitment and how much you really want to be a physician. A lot of doctors have told me that to be successful it takes 90 % desire and 10% of other things!!

Barts- Tell us a little more about your experience last year. What are you doing now and where are you? Thanks

I'm a 4th year at PCSOM and am doing my rotations here in town. I don't think they start the interviews for a couple months more so don't get too worrried now. Let me know if you have any questions that i might be able to help you with.

I'm a 4th year at PCSOM and am doing my rotations here in town. I don't think they start the interviews for a couple months more so don't get too worrried now. Let me know if you have any questions that i might be able to help you with.

That's very interesting that they start late. How have you liked your time at Pikeville and how is the program. I've read the website, but have not met a current student to give me first hand information. How was your first year?

Hello applicants,
I would advise you choose another school, even if you are an applicant from the region. What the above fourth year student has withheld from his comments about PCSOM is the sheer disaster the school is in. The basic science staff is as good as any, last word I heard the pathology has been radically improved. yet, the ability for the school's administration and clinical staff/faculty to teach clinical medicine and support its students in need are truly apprehensible.

The administration and clinical faclutly are far from adaquet and seek to weed out students rather than assist in their time of difficulties. Being a very small school with only 3-4 people running the whole school if there are any personal differences you can cancel your graduation or at least batton down the hatches for a long and emotional ride. (More so than typically expected from a medical school)

Also the support for the local community is very dissapointing. The school will support 2-4 free clinics per year, but they are usually set in areas that will provide financial and/or political volley for the school or the school's administration. The USS PIKEVILLE sails only for itself and its military crew and cohorts.

For the young lady who is so pro-Pikeville, I hope you take a second look at PCSOM. Without the staff aware of your presence go to the school during classes and ask the students about their experience. The idea you are given everything in one package without want to succeed in school is not true, nor is it FREE. The tuition last year was near $27K and this year (due to the increased price of the FREE material/computers/memberships offered) the tuition is near $33K, a huge jump!

Good luck in your decision.

Hello applicants,
I would advise you choose another school, even if you are an applicant from the region. What the above fourth year student has withheld from his comments about PCSOM is the sheer disaster the school is in. The basic science staff is as good as any, last word I heard the pathology has been radically improved. yet, the ability for the school's administration and clinical staff/faculty to teach clinical medicine and support its students in need are truly apprehensible.

The administration and clinical faclutly are far from adaquet and seek to weed out students rather than assist in their time of difficulties. Being a very small school with only 3-4 people running the whole school if there are any personal differences you can cancel your graduation or at least batton down the hatches for a long and emotional ride. (More so than typically expected from a medical school)

Also the support for the local community is very dissapointing. The school will support 2-4 free clinics per year, but they are usually set in areas that will provide financial and/or political volley for the school or the school's administration. The USS PIKEVILLE sails only for itself and its military crew and cohorts.

For the young lady who is so pro-Pikeville, I hope you take a second look at PCSOM. Without the staff aware of your presence go to the school during classes and ask the students about their experience. The idea you are given everything in one package without want to succeed in school is not true, nor is it FREE. The tuition last year was near $27K and this year (due to the increased price of the FREE material/computers/memberships offered) the tuition is near $33K, a huge jump!

But tell us what you really think :)

Hello applicants,

Some of what got-it says is true. The school is very small and if you get on the bad side of administration it will make life tough for you especially during first and second year. PCSOM is not a perfect place and i regret that got-it had such a bad experience. I think if you come to PCSOM you better be ready to work and it's probably best to do it quietly unless you want the emotional ride that got-it speaks about. That being said the tuition is relatively cheap and does provide for a lot. It may not be free but the rather modest tuition does include books, laptop, Kaplan review as well as step I and II boards and stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, lab coat, and OPP table. Honestly, the block exam format and cumulative testing does make first and second year stressful and difficult but i did it and many others have too.

Some of what got-it says is true. The school is very small and if you get on the bad side of administration it will make life tough for you especially during first and second year. PCSOM is not a perfect place and i regret that got-it had such a bad experience. I think if you come to PCSOM you better be ready to work and it's probably best to do it quietly unless you want the emotional ride that got-it speaks about. That being said the tuition is relatively cheap and does provide for a lot. It may not be free but the rather modest tuition does include books, laptop, Kaplan review as well as step I and II boards and stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, lab coat, and OPP table. Honestly, the block exam format and cumulative testing does make first and second year stressful and difficult but i did it and many others have too.

The previous author was a current student of PCSOM. I have recently graduated from PCSOM, class 2007. The above respondant attempts to set Pikeville equal if better then other schools.They attempt to place the responsiblity of all negative experiences upon the student. This is a "line" that is continuously repeated by the faculty and military staff at Pikeville.

Most allopathic schools attempt to aid students in need, PCSOM does not.

PCSOM asks the students to work hard. This effort is funneled into useless classes that have very little use. These classes are another example of the school's narcasistically caring for its appearance, versus lending support to its student's success. (The joke amongst PCSOM students is "..if there is white (free) space on the calander it will be filled by the afternoon...")

The consortium is in hope the new administration will remove the Navy contingent from any office, review the medical ethics two year curriculum, and install an able clinical practices program/staff.

Best of luck to those who remain in PCSOM.

What type of aid are you refering to? Assistance setting up clinical rotations, aid in doing better in classes, etc? Please explain. Pikeville is my first choice so I want to learn as much as possible about the school. Also I wanted to thank you for the great idea of actually attending a class at Pikeville to get the students opinions on the college. Why is the military aspect so bad too? My husband is in the military (Air Force)..so I'm quite used to stern rules and regulations...living on base, there are a plethora of rules to abide by. Best wishes in your medical career!!

Most allopathic schools attempt to aid students in need, PCSOM does not.

PCSOM asks the students to work hard. This effort is funneled into useless classes that have very little use. These classes are another example of the school's narcasistically caring for its appearance, versus lending support to its student's success. (The joke amongst PCSOM students is "..if there is white (free) space on the calander it will be filled by the afternoon...")

The consortium is in hope the new administration will remove the Navy contingent from any office, review the medical ethics two year curriculum, and install an able clinical practices program/staff.

Best of luck to those who remain in PCSOM.

I have not spoken to my cohort who mad this statment, so I give our general observations.
Addressing the military aspect: Dr Betz(non-military), the predecessor to Dr. Murphy(believes and lives his lost military life through his post in Pikeville), and the past Dr. Stro did enforce the professional dress code. I must say our group believes this comes from Dr. Murphy, but it really stems from the past Dr Stro. This really does not address your your question.

In the military if an individual is experienceing problems there are many programs, which are uaully turned dowm by some, and your buddies. You take care of your buisness. This is mostly true for life and some professional schools. At PCSOM they have completely refused to assit a stuent in hard times. There was a student in a allopathic school in CA and another at an osteopathic college, each experieneced hardship and needed financial and psychological assistance. Each given 6 months counseling and money was found in each case by the school to assit them. Pikeville's form of assistance is that you need to just find a way to make it work. Yes, there is a 2 visist, yes just 2 visits are aforded to any form of couseling. The folks they have chosen are not the top of their game either.

When folks become addicted it depends if they are people that the military strain like or invoke support in the staff.

During my tenur at pcsom people were called out in the middle of the hall way for dress or a comment over heard, and not fully understood in context. You can be called out for any lil' reason and mashed on.

There is more, much more. I am sure that you as a military wife you will be treated with honor and respect. You have this protection.

Of course there is more, but good luck in your choice.

What type of aid are you refering to? Assistance setting up clinical rotations, aid in doing better in classes, etc? Please explain. Pikeville is my first choice so I want to learn as much as possible about the school. Also I wanted to thank you for the great idea of actually attending a class at Pikeville to get the students opinions on the college. Why is the military aspect so bad too? My husband is in the military (Air Force)..so I'm quite used to stern rules and regulations...living on base, there are a plethora of rules to abide by. Best wishes in your medical career!!

I'm a current third year student at PCSOM and was very involved with student life while I was at Pikeville, so I had many opportunities to work with administration. I think everyone has their own perspective and their own experiences and, without trying to detract from anyone elses' comments here, I just wanted to give mine...
No school is perfect, they all have their own problems. Unfortunately, Pikeville has suffered some major changes in the past couple of years and, in such a small school setting, these changes are felt on a large scale. We lost Dr. Betz as a clinical dean, Dr. Stiles left as the chair of OPP, Dr. Stro was absent most of my first two years due to his obligations to the AOA as president and then we as a school and a community suffered a major loss last summer when we lost him to cancer. In any school, this level of change in administration could be expected to cause some waves.
Looking at everything, though, I can still say that if I were to be applying now, knowing everything about the school, I would still make the same decision. I chose PCSOM over other programs because I liked the small-town family feel of the place. I could see at my interview that the students were genuinely happy. Any accredited school you go to will provide you with a good education. The work you put into it determines what you will get out of it. Yes, we have a professional dress code. Yes, we have an attendance policy. Yes... some professors, and this is a very small minority, can be a little... "military"... But...
The basic science faculty are amazing... and I WOULD put my basic science education up against any other school. The block system is at times more stressful, but it also allows you some periods of time where you can actually breathe and relax rather than always having a test to study for every week.
Pikeville is a small town... PCSOM is a small community... but it's that. It is a community. It's unfortunate that the changes that have occurred at the school over the past year have changed perceptions of it so much but I think that with time and the appointment of a new dean, things will go back to how they were when I was a first year.
Anyway... sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give you guys a different perspective. If you all have any Q's about the school, you can feel free to PM me.

- Jacquie

Greetings fellow and future PSCOM graduates,

I am a 2nd year Emergency Medicine resident who graduated from Pikeville in 2006. It has been posted recently the clinical rotations are in need of an overhaul. Frankly, this has been an issue since the school opened. The problem lies in where to place the third and fourth year students so they may excel. The school does not want you to be in a bad situation so the administrators need to ensure the hospitals/clinics support you. My hub site was in Ashland and I feel my clinical background going into residency was equal or better than my colleagues.
I do agree with Jacquie completely. Our basic science professors rock! I had no trouble with the boards (all three COMLEX's including USMLE for Step one) and plenty of quality interview opportunities. As it has been alluded to time and time again, the physician journey is contingent and directly proportional to the amount of time and dedication you devote to medicine. Success is defined on your effort and most importantly, how you can relate to your patients. Pikeville does its part in providing a worthy environment for academic and professional achievement. The rest is up to you.

I'm not trying to be negative but my friend interviewed at PSCOM last year and couldn't get over all the smokers in the admin building. He claimed they smoked in their offices and one person even shook his hand with a cigarette dangling from his lips! He said says one of the smokers was a doc, but I find this hard to believe.

Is that normal down there?

I'm attracted to the small town environment but I don't want want to hear banjos playing in the distance.

I can't say that I know exactly who your friend is referring to but one of the deans does smoke a pipe in his office. I know a couple other faculty do smoke, but I don't think in their offices.
I don't think that eastern Kentucky corners the market on smoking (although I'll admit it is more prevalent). Unfortunately, I think you'd be able to find faculty at any medical school (or hospital for that matter) that do smoke.
Sorry your friend was turned off by their experience but I would hope that wouldn't be the only criteria the school was judged on.

Yes, there are lots of hillbillies in eastern Kentucky. Funny though, during Hillbilly Days most of them come from Ohio and Michigan.:laugh:

I can't say that I know exactly who your friend is referring to but one of the deans does smoke a pipe in his office. I know a couple other faculty do smoke, but I don't think in their offices.
I don't think that eastern Kentucky corners the market on smoking (although I'll admit it is more prevalent). Unfortunately, I think you'd be able to find faculty at any medical school (or hospital for that matter) that do smoke.
Sorry your friend was turned off by their experience but I would hope that wouldn't be the only criteria the school was judged on.

It certainly wins me over, maybe I can smoke a churchill stogey during gross anatomy. :D

Does anyone have any new updates from Pikeville? Acceptances? Interviews? When the committee is meeting? I'm complete there and just waiting but due to my shameful MCAT score, I'm not expecting any good news....just hoping. :) Best wishes to everyone hoping to become class of 2012!!

I agree with LuckBALady that it would be awesome if any current PCSOM students know of the interview plans as of the new year. I hear there have not been many interviews yet....any more info that anyone has would be great!

Hello PCSOM Applicants and Interviewees!!

My name is Emily, and I am a first year student from Mississippi.
I am writing in regards to one individual's response to PCSOM.

First, I would like to say I am greatly disappointed in the response "Got It", who claims he is now an osteopathic physician, gave towards his school PCSOM and fellow PCSOM colleagues. It is embarrassing to know that an individual with such high academic achievements can not communicate using correct vocabulary and grammar. However with that being said, I would like to share my experiences and feelings towards PCSOM.

Like I stated previously, I am from MS. I attended a small university school (approximately 4,500 students: graduate and undergraduate). I finished college in 3 years and did a year and a half fellowship in breast oncology in Baton Rouge, LA. I applied to PCSOM and various other osteopathic medical schools last fall (2006), because of my strong feelings towards Osteopathic principles.

After the interview process at various schools, I chose to attend PCSOM above the others. I do not in any way regret that decision. I absolutely love PCSOM. I have friends who are first years at allopathic schools such as Baylor, LSU, UMC, Tulane; as well as first years at osteopathic schools such as KCUMB, LMU, and NOVA. I would put my education (as a first year who has only completed one semester) up to any of my friends.

Like others have previously stated, EVERY school has their problems. As with anything you do in life, it is IMPOSSIBLE to try and satisfy EVERY SINGLE person. With that said, everyone experiences the good, the bad, and the ugly everywhere. NO medical school is PERFECT, and there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

PCSOM is a wonderful school. Our faculty is top of the line. The first year Gross Anatomy professor is absolutely amazing. In the past, he has taught for the Kaplan Review course by traveling to other allopathic and osteopathic schools reviewing THEIR students for the boards. In my opinion, this is impressive!! Our OPP/OMT professor writes the questions (concerning OPP/OMT) for the Comlex! Again, impressive!!

And speaking of the Comlex I, I do believe that either the highest score or highest two scores came from students at PCSOM this year. Also, pretty impressive!!

The education we are receiving at PCSOM is top of the line. We are given everything we need to succeed in the professional world, including amazing professors to teach us. It is one’s own responsibility to put that knowledge to memory and use. We are in medical school in a professional world, and spoon-feeding is not an option.

Yes, we have had some changes this year due to the loss of Dr. Stro, and the leaving of various other faculty members. However, we do have a new Dean and the school is getting back on tract.

First and second year testing is accomplished through block exams including cumulative material from previous blocks. Yes, this can be very stressful at times because all your exams will be crammed into two days worth of testing. However, this is NO problem for students who have kept up throughout the block with the material presented in class lectures. Also, the cumulative material is material selected from professors that is important for us, as future physicians, to know. It is also material that the board exams test on quite frequently.

Yes, we do also have a professional dress code. I personally love the dress code. I think you should want to dress appropriate every day. I mean we are going to be physicians, right? This means not only should you act the part, but you should dress the part too. Also, we have numerous “Dress Down” days in which you can wear whatever you desire.

Concerning the attendance policy, yes, attendance is required. This goes back to why would you really want to miss class anyway? After all, this is the information that you will be tested on come block exams. And also, this is potentially information that makes you a better physician for your future patients. Yes, we all have days we would rather be doing something else than sitting in class but that is only natural.

The tuition is $31,600. PCSOM is the ONLY school that provides its students with everything they could possibly need. We are given brand-new Dell laptops, stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, Pan-optic, all of our books, OMT/OPP table, numerous national club memberships, Comlex I and II testing, Kaplan Review Course, etc. The costs of these items are thousands of dollars. Not to mention, the stress it would add to an incoming student to have to worry about getting the right books, the right equipment, etc. After all, I would have not known the slightest idea about what kind/brand of instruments are good, etc. It also sets an equal playing ground for all students. It allows no one student to have better equipment than any other student.

I hope this information helps. If any of you have any additional questions concerning PCSOM, housing, etc. I would love to help. You can message me.

Remember, medical school is not easy. If it were, there would be an overabundance of physicians in this world, and we all know there isn’t! Wherever, you chose to receive your education, remember the physician you become is your decision. It is up to you to succeed in life!

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!!
Emily, PCSOM OMS-I

Thank you so much for your insight, Emily. I, too feel very confident in the education that I will receive at PCSOM when I begin my classes next fall as a member of the class of 2012. I am happy to hear from a current student like you who can give some wonderful perspective.

When you have a few minutes, would you mind answering a few questions for me? You mentioned how great the anatomy professor is, but as I have never taken an anatomy course before (only a physiology course in undergrad). I am worried about the complex memorization that the course is going to require. Do you have an reccommendations on how to succeed in this course right from the start? Have you set up study groups for this purpose or do most students study on their own? Out of all the classes of this first semester for you, was anatomy the most difficult?

Another question I have is not academic, but I was wondering when you reccommend I start looking for housing in Pikeville. Did you find it difficult to find a place? Angel has sent a list of realtors, but I was not sure when students started to look or if you have any housing suggestions for me. Any other housing tips you have would be great!

I am looking forward to moving to Pikeville, KY next summer and perhaps meeting you as well at some point! If you have any other thoughts to share about life in Pikeville that would be excellent. Best of luck to you this year!

Molly
PCSOM Class of 2012

Hey Molly,

That is great you are coming to PCSOM!!! Congratulations!!!

Yes, Anatomy was and still is (we have one block left) the hardest class you will have your first semester at PCSOM. However, I feel as if this applies to all or at least most medical schools. Remember, everything you encounter in medical school is "do-able"; it is just the volume or amount of material that hurts most people. Not having anatomy in undergrad is not going to hurt you. There are many students in my class that didn't have anatomy previously. I recommend studying it at least 5 out of 7 nights a week. As long as you keep up, you will be fine. As far as my studying goes, I study by myself for anatomy until I understand and know it. Then, I will go over it in a group or with a friend.

As with housing, start looking immediately! The housing list Angel gave you is a great place to start. I live in Anthony Apartments by Hensley Development. They are safe, very close to school, and just all around very nice. There are like 20 apartments, and I believe 17 of us are med students, 1st and 2nd years. So, we all know each other and it's great! I think there will possibly be a few vacant come the end of this year due to 2nd years going on rotation. If you could get your name on the waiting list, you will not be disappointed!

Feel free to ask me anything. I will try and help you as much as possible!!

Emily

My name is Joseph, and I am also a first year at PCSOM.

I would like to clarify some things in regards to the previous comments made on this thread, that weren't so complementary of PCSOM. I think my fellow classmate Emily said it pretty well in that "there are going to be problems at every medical school and that no medical school is perfect."

At Pikeville, there are a few problems but I mean come on where aren't there? I too think our faculty first year is amazing especially Anatomy (Dr. Soniera is amazing and so is Julia our lab instructor) and OPP (Dr. Littman). And the information that is given to you in these classes are things that will better you for boards and for your overall career in medicine.

I too applied to other schools, both Osteopathic and Allopathic; but I chose PCSOM because I really liked their philosophy (and the Osteopathic philosophy) and the way the school made me feel. I would also put my education up against any other med. student in the nation who just finished their first semester of the 1st year of school.

Yes, the dress code can kind of be a pain in the butt, when you have been up late studying the night before and you have to get up and look professional for class. But the reality of it is we are in medical school (professional school) and we should look the part; that is the bottom line. And the dress down days are nice, during these days money is raised for certain fundraisers that clubs or charities have; so all in all the dressing up isn't bad and you get used to it.

There are many other things that I can say that are good about Pikeville, but I think I have hit on the highlights that have been made on this thread. If there are any other questions, for those interviewees or those who have already been accepted (congradulations!), I would be more than willing to answer them the best that I can!

Best of Luck,
Joseph

Joseph, thanks for your insight on your first semester at PCSOM as well. You and Emily are getting me very excited to start next fall!

Emily, thanks for the housing tips. I am planning on making a weekend trip out to Pikeville sometime in January to look at places. I am from Pittsburgh so it's a pretty easy 5.5 hour trip down to Pikeville, so I will hopefully be able to set something up soon. My boyfriend has applied to PCSOM so I am crossing my fingers that sometime soon he will get an interview offer and then I'll just travel down with him! Right now he's into WVSOM but he (and I, of course) hope that Pikeville will want him! Anyways, I am certainly going to check out the Anthony apartments and see what the waitlist situation is at this point. Do you mind me asking what your rent is there? I would be looking for a one bedroom.

Perhaps you and Joseph as well could let me know about your car situation down in Pikeville. I would assume all the med students have their own cars, correct? I figured even if you can walk to class that you'd still need a way to the grocery store among other things. Can either of you tell me about what you do for transportation? I am trying to save money as much as possible and don't really want to buy a car until I really have to, but I think I probably will have to down there. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. I have lived in DC for 4 years now and did not have to worry about buying a car with the metro being right there, so I guess in the next few months it may be time to look at a car purchase....

Well, hopefully both of you get some time to rest over the break! Congratulations for making it through your first semester! I'll be in touch soon. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Hello PCSOM Applicants and Interviewees!!

My name is Emily, and I am a first year student from Mississippi.
I am writing in regards to one individual's response to PCSOM.

First, I would like to say I am greatly disappointed in the response "Got It", who claims he is now an osteopathic physician, gave towards his school PCSOM and fellow PCSOM colleagues. It is embarrassing to know that an individual with such high academic achievements can not communicate using correct vocabulary and grammar. However with that being said, I would like to share my experiences and feelings towards PCSOM.

Like I stated previously, I am from MS. I attended a small university school (approximately 4,500 students: graduate and undergraduate). I finished college in 3 years and did a year and a half fellowship in breast oncology in Baton Rouge, LA. I applied to PCSOM and various other osteopathic medical schools last fall (2006), because of my strong feelings towards Osteopathic principles.

After the interview process at various schools, I chose to attend PCSOM above the others. I do not in any way regret that decision. I absolutely love PCSOM. I have friends who are first years at allopathic schools such as Baylor, LSU, UMC, Tulane; as well as first years at osteopathic schools such as KCUMB, LMU, and NOVA. I would put my education (as a first year who has only completed one semester) up to any of my friends.

Like others have previously stated, EVERY school has their problems. As with anything you do in life, it is IMPOSSIBLE to try and satisfy EVERY SINGLE person. With that said, everyone experiences the good, the bad, and the ugly everywhere. NO medical school is PERFECT, and there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

PCSOM is a wonderful school. Our faculty is top of the line. The first year Gross Anatomy professor is absolutely amazing. In the past, he has taught for the Kaplan Review course by traveling to other allopathic and osteopathic schools reviewing THEIR students for the boards. In my opinion, this is impressive!! Our OPP/OMT professor writes the questions (concerning OPP/OMT) for the Comlex! Again, impressive!!

And speaking of the Comlex I, I do believe that either the highest score or highest two scores came from students at PCSOM this year. Also, pretty impressive!!

The education we are receiving at PCSOM is top of the line. We are given everything we need to succeed in the professional world, including amazing professors to teach us. It is one's own responsibility to put that knowledge to memory and use. We are in medical school in a professional world, and spoon-feeding is not an option.

Yes, we have had some changes this year due to the loss of Dr. Stro, and the leaving of various other faculty members. However, we do have a new Dean and the school is getting back on tract.

First and second year testing is accomplished through block exams including cumulative material from previous blocks. Yes, this can be very stressful at times because all your exams will be crammed into two days worth of testing. However, this is NO problem for students who have kept up throughout the block with the material presented in class lectures. Also, the cumulative material is material selected from professors that is important for us, as future physicians, to know. It is also material that the board exams test on quite frequently.

Yes, we do also have a professional dress code. I personally love the dress code. I think you should want to dress appropriate every day. I mean we are going to be physicians, right? This means not only should you act the part, but you should dress the part too. Also, we have numerous "Dress Down" days in which you can wear whatever you desire.

Concerning the attendance policy, yes, attendance is required. This goes back to why would you really want to miss class anyway? After all, this is the information that you will be tested on come block exams. And also, this is potentially information that makes you a better physician for your future patients. Yes, we all have days we would rather be doing something else than sitting in class but that is only natural.

The tuition is $31,600. PCSOM is the ONLY school that provides its students with everything they could possibly need. We are given brand-new Dell laptops, stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, Pan-optic, all of our books, OMT/OPP table, numerous national club memberships, Comlex I and II testing, Kaplan Review Course, etc. The costs of these items are thousands of dollars. Not to mention, the stress it would add to an incoming student to have to worry about getting the right books, the right equipment, etc. After all, I would have not known the slightest idea about what kind/brand of instruments are good, etc. It also sets an equal playing ground for all students. It allows no one student to have better equipment than any other student.

I hope this information helps. If any of you have any additional questions concerning PCSOM, housing, etc. I would love to help. You can message me.

Remember, medical school is not easy. If it were, there would be an overabundance of physicians in this world, and we all know there isn't! Wherever, you chose to receive your education, remember the physician you become is your decision. It is up to you to succeed in life!

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!!
Emily, PCSOM OMS-I

No offense, but you sound like a paid representative for the school. My friends at MIT and Princeton have been more critical.

However, I am impressed with your loyalty.

No offense, but you sound like a paid representative for the school. My friends at MIT and Princeton have been more critical.

However, I am impressed with your loyalty.

my goodness, a first year. Well, we are a few students from 2007-2009 and totally disagree with all of your statments. Oh yea, the top COMLEX level I students last yr would have performed well whereever they went to school. Please don't confuse the student with the quality of education of the facility, particually PCSOM. The only good courses are Anatomy and pharmacology.

The school have much greater problems then you present. The school is in distress.

Please, all applicants be aware and choose another school if you can.

I noticed one of my 2006 classmates put up a post, another ashland alum as well, 'holla!
Anyway, overall my days in Pike-Vegas were some of the best of my life. Sure there were days I hated the town, the school, the administration, pretty much everything and everybody. Luckily, those days were few. However, there were those in my class who were pretty much miserable all the time and who outright hated various and sundry members of the administration and/or faculty. Well......while the majority of the faculty/administration at PCSOM are really great and even seem to like the students, NONE of them are there to be your friends. Some of them, who shall remain nameless, REALLY don't want to be your friends, and that is okay. It is not their job.
I am a PGY2 in D.C. and have always found myself to be at least the equal of my peers wherever I may be and have never been anything but proud to tell other residents I went to PCSOM. Granted, Stro was in charge through all 4 years of my tenure, and I am certain his loss effected every aspect of the school, but the new dean is in place and uber-competent.
In short: med school is a privilege, keep your head down, mind your manners and wear a tie (it won't kill you).

Make no bones about this post. It is directly targeted at the individual who continues to shamelessly trash Pikeville College's Osteopathic school. Got-it appears to be quite a miserable human being and nothing more than a lowly troll. He/she smears a medical school which has produced well-skilled students, faculty, and doctors. I am a fully licensed physician who graduated from Pikeville College. And I take offense to his posts deeply.

A challenge to you Mr. or Ms. Got it: send me a private post and identify yourself and I will too. We need to have a chat about your beef with this school and why you feel the need to berate it constantly. If you do not respond, it will affirm what every person who reads SDN suspects about you and your 34 posts. That you are in essence nothing more than a hurtful troll and a yellow coward.

Thanks to SmackudownDO for his reply to Got-it. It is about time someone says something about his/her's negative comments about the school. As a future student of PCSOM in the fall, I hope that this post can be more informational/insightful! I am looking forward to learning more about future class of 2012 students along with current students and alum as well. Thank you for any input!

Congratulations to steelers1527 and other new medical students admitted to PCSOM! After reading some of the above comments, I also agree something needed to be done about the one person crusade against Pikeville. Hopefully this thread can regain a positive direction and give support for a great school. I certainly have benefited from receiving a degree from there. The future OMS II's such as Emily have posted great tips about what they are going through right now. Utilize your upperclassmen's wisdom concerning test files, teacher habits and later, clinical rotation sites. Also definitely be prepared for your first set of block exams. It can be a shock. Like all medical schools, a huge pile of information is sprayed to you at the speed of a firehose. Do not be alarmed by this. When this happens a simple two word phrase can pull you through these trying times: "Keep up!" Be sure and give your mind a break now and then. Get sleep. Eat nutritiously. Exercise. But above all, keep up.....

I'd like to give a special return "holla" to Devvy who rotated in Ashland. Be sure to follow all of his excellent advice (he is a zen-master test taker by the way). Both of us are PGY2 residents who have not forgotten our Pikeville roots. As he said, no school is picture perfect, however Pikeville does a good job in preparing its students. Do what the teachers tell you, buy First Aid and their recommended supplements, learn how to do a proper H&P in its entirety early (the basis of your clinical care), and show up every day at clinical rotations with the intent to learn from your patients. If you put in the effort and focus on why you chose to be a physician (love of patients) you will be rewarded! This will carry you through basic science years, clinical years, and ultimately to residency (and beyond).

I've been in touch with the administration over the years. The school is in excellent shape. Your heart can usually discern when someone is giving constructive rather than destructive advice. Former disgruntled students who failed out because of one reason or another or unsuccessful graduates will occasionally appear on SDN in order to bad mouth the school. Rarely do they take any responsibility for themselves. Rather they seek to blame others for their shortcomings. As in all professions, you'll come across these non-adult types. Avoid them. They are thankfully few in number and likely forgot why they chose medicine in the first place. To put it simply we all are here to relieve patients' pain and assist them in their quest for wellness. Don't be afraid to love your job or the people who come to you for help.

Good luck to all the new students of PCSOM. Don't ever second guess your choice of medical school! It is a wise one.

Thanks for swaying this thread back into a positive direction. As for preparing for fall how much can you expect (hours per day) for the very first block out of the gates? Just curious....

yeah, thanks everyone.

Thanks for swaying this thread back into a positive direction. As for preparing for fall how much can you expect (hours per day) for the very first block out of the gates? Just curious....

The amount you will have to study will depend on how you learn, etc...

I can tell you that my first year we had classes from 8a until 3ish (depending on if you have lab, it might be later) every day. I took 2 hours off after class was over for dinner/personal time etc, and then I studied the rest of the night until 11pm. Go to bed, repeat :) I only studied weekdays and gave myself weekends off (except for right before blocks).

That schedule worked well for me... but you really have to find what works for you. Just remember, though, that you do need to work hard, you should learn the material well but you also need a balance. do NOT barricade yourself in the library for months on end or you will burn out... quick...

That's my advice :) Let me know if you guys need anything else.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can start early to prevent pre-block burnout....Any advice on housing?

I would like to find a room in a house to rent, cheap house to rent or a small apartment and splitting with other med students wouldn't be out of the question either, any thoughts on living arrangements would be great....

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can start early to prevent pre-block burnout....Any advice on housing?

I would like to find a room in a house to rent, cheap house to rent or a small apartment and splitting with other med students wouldn't be out of the question either, any thoughts on living arrangements would be great....

Angel Hamilton usually has a running list of housing in the area. There's a few places that are open/taking students every year. Just so you know, though, if you call now, a lot of landlords will tell you they have no openings because the 2nd years probably haven't given their notice yet that they will be leaving. The best time to call would be April-ish.