Pinellas/Tampa Bay FL questions...

Started by Skoli
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Skoli

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently completing my pre-reqs, and I wanted to know what its like working in the Pinellas/Tampa area of Florida. I love this place, and really don't everrrrr want to leave...lol. So I just wanted to hear people's opinions of the market here.

Did you move here from another state?

Worked your way up (tech to pharm) in the same company or hospital?

Do you find that getting a job here was extremely competitive?

(Sorry if these questions are boring, I'm just an anxious newbie looking for info)
 
I'm currently completing my pre-reqs, and I wanted to know what its like working in the Pinellas/Tampa area of Florida. I love this place, and really don't everrrrr want to leave...lol. So I just wanted to hear people's opinions of the market here.

Did you move here from another state?

Worked your way up (tech to pharm) in the same company or hospital?

Do you find that getting a job here was extremely competitive?

(Sorry if these questions are boring, I'm just an anxious newbie looking for info)

I live in the Tampa Bay area and work in hospital near Disney World. Two other pharmacists that I work with are also from Tampa, one from Jacksonville, and one from West Palm. There are no jobs in the cities, you have to go to rural locations.

Walgreens laid off a large number of pharmacists in Tampa Bay when they rolled out Power. Out of curiosity, I emailed CVS and asked if they had any positions available (even part time float) in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco and Hernando county. Their response was that there were zero positions available. The Walgreens rejects picked up all the other retail jobs including the super market jobs, Target, Walmart, etc. There are still some out there who are unemployed and looking.

There are a few hospital positions available if you 1) have a residency or 2) know someone who already works there who can set you up.

I recommend looking out of state, or in a small podunk town.

Dana