Pitt v Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akb5633

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grateful to have been accepted to two of my top choices, both of which are great fits. I don't think I can go wrong with either. Nonetheless, a decision needs to be made. No financial aid packages yet, so waiting to make a final decision until then. Unfortunately, I cannot attend Pitt's second look, so in fairness...plus to save cash...I will not be going to Emory's either.

PITT
Pros
+Proximity to home (~2 hrs away), family, friends from undergrad
+Connections: Pitt undergrad, worked in OR at UPMC with Neurosurg/Ortho/ENT during gap year
+Clinical sites: UPMC highly ranked in many specialties
+Research: the required longitudinal research project would be great if I decide to pursue a competitive specialty that's looking for publications. And I really like the opportunity to apply to the Clinical Scientist Training Program (CSTP) - a year dedicated to research with living stipend. Also, with my connections here research might be easier to find
+Mini-electives: they offer a lot of cool optional courses
Cons
- Area: I've been in Pgh for over 4 years now, and would love to live in a new and bigger city for medical school
- Weather: i'm at the point where I'm actually getting mad that it's still cold here lol (it's snowing as I type this :()
- No safety net hospital

EMORY
Pros
+Area: I've visited Atlanta several times, and I really love it. It's lively, fun, and not outrageously expensive for a big city. Plus, I like the area where many of the students live.
+Pre-clinical: shortened preclinical curriculum, so start rotations in Feb of M2. I think this could be really helpful if I'm undecided/uncertain about which specialty I want to go into.
+Weather: it was unbelievable how happy the warm weather made me feel when I interviewed at Emory in Feb.
+Friends: have close friends from undergrad at Emory med and Georgia Tech for grad school
+Research: 5 months discovery period for research - I like the idea of being able to focus exclusively on my research for a dedicated period of time
+Grady: love the idea of a safety net hospital, diverse group of patients, will get a lot of hands-on-experience
Cons
- Further from home
- Fewer connections than at Pitt
- Emory has a strong hospital system, but not sure if it's quite UPMC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Tough choice!

I don't have any good advice, but I was wondering what a "safety net hospital" is?

Also, how do you feel about the humidity in ATL?

Tough choice!

I don't have any good advice, but I was wondering what a "safety net hospital" is?

Also, how do you feel about the humidity in ATL?

Safety net hospitals accept all patients, regardless of the person's insurance status or ability to pay. Thus, they serve many vulnerable people.

Humidity doesn't bother me too much. I would notice it more while running, but other than that, I think I'd be okay.

Feel like you should treat yo self with Emory and that nice ATL weather. If you like the safety net hospital experience and research (see: tons of clinical research + Rollins School of Public Health + CDC). It’s not thaaaaaaat far from home, a quick plane flight isn’t bad.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you'd sightly prefer emory but honestly in this case going with whichever is cheaper is probably the best option (unless there's an insignificant difference like less than 10k in total costs or something like that). Also since you're in Pitt already why but go to Emory second look. I don't see why it would be unfair. If you don't want to pay for it that makes sense but skipping the second look for fairness seems a little silly