Pitt vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barbara4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo I was just accepted off of Pitt's waitlist, and have already committed to BU and I can't decide which school to attend. I think I want a more academic career (a good school for research is a priority for me). I also don't think I want to specialize into a hyper-competitive specialty (I have a feeling I'm going to choose internal medicine)...

Here is my current pro con list:

BU Pros:
- I would like to live somewhere new & Boston seems like a cool city
- I love their commitment to underserved populations
- I liked the atmosphere and the students that I met at second look (everyone seemed happy & down to earth)

BU Cons:
- Living in Boston is expensive
- Isn't considered as "good" of a school as Pitt

Pitt Pros:
- I have family & friends in the area
- I've lived in Pittsburgh for a while and its a nice place to live (cheaper & smaller)
- I'm familiar with the research community here
- It has a "good" reputation

Pitt Cons:
- I didn't feel like I "clicked" with the students here as much
- The faculty seem pretty elitist
- They aren't as committed to underserved populations
- I would like to live somewhere different for a bit
- The boys in Pittsburgh aren't as cute

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a more academic career, Pitt is definitely a better choice. I think BU does not emphasize research as much but it's definitely doable if you have enough initiatives. I faced the same situation like you a few months ago. At first I was so determined to go to BU for the same reasons (commitment to underserved & like the atmosphere much better than Pitt), but after second look, I decided to choose Pitt in the last minute because they just have more resources for you to do anything. If you have anything in mind, any ideas for a specific project, they can make it possible for you. Also, the UPMC Shadyside is pretty equivalent to BMC where you can find underserved experience. But still, both are great schools with good reputation and I think any choice is good for your career

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt is a much more robust academic center than BU.

Pitt is the big player in its area, basically has a monopoly.

BU is a smaller player in its area, although it does have the public hospital.