Pitt vs Case-- help me decide while you procrastinate :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

drnala15

I want to first acknowledge how grateful I am to have the opportunity to choose between these schools. I am at a loss for which to choose and would appreciate any advice-- especially from current students. Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both of these. I liked both, but of the two would pick Pitt easily because of the location. Pittsburgh just seems much more interesting than Cleveland.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely Case!

Only because I am first-tier waitlisted at Pitt and they are my top choice :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
we know no school but the school in the north whose name is.............

Reactions: 1 users
AFAIK, Case has mandatory 8-12 PBL. I would really consider whether or not you would be happy with that, it was enough for me to withdraw from my interview.
It isnt 8-12, its 8-10, and it's only monday, wednesday and friday.

Pitt hands down. Way better resources all around. Case is also good though.

Aye possible future classmate. Was fortunate as well to interview at both but waitlisted at Case. I would say Pitt but hey, I am biased :-D

Although on a serious note, what factors are you considering?

Absolutely Pittsburgh, and I say that as someone who was accepted to Case Western and second tier waitlist at Pittsburgh.

I personally liked the location of Pittsburgh within the city as opposed to Case Western's location. Pittsburgh has more research going on. The curriculum at Pittsburgh is preferable.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your acceptances!! I interviewed at both of these schools and preferred Pitt by a landslide. Pittsburgh seemed like a much better location, the curriculum sounded better to me and had a lot of flexibility and cool opportunities as far as I remember, and I personally preferred the vibe I got from the students and faculty/staff. Plus, I hate the Steelers, but anything is better than the Browns.

Okay, I can't really speak to the specifics of the schools, but this "Cleveland sucks" business is nonsense. I lived in Cleveland for some time and still have family there, and the reputation it gets is undeserved. Especially in recent years, the economy has improved, and the city has a nice restaurant and arts scene. The Cavaliers and Indians are also great teams, lol, so if you're into sports, you can hit up some games once in a while. I'm sure Pittsburgh is nice, but the Cleveland hate is kinda dumb.

Reactions: 3 users
Cleveland does have a place where you can get a hotdog with spaghetti o's on it so if that's what you're passionate about it may be the right place for you

Reactions: 5 users
Okay, I can't really speak to the specifics of the schools, but this "Cleveland sucks" business is nonsense. I lived in Cleveland for some time and still have family there, and the reputation it gets is undeserved. Especially in recent years, the economy has improved, and the city has a nice restaurant and arts scene. The Cavaliers and Indians are also great teams, lol, so if you're into sports, you can hit up some games once in a while. I'm sure Pittsburgh is nice, but the Cleveland hate is kinda dumb.
I'll agree. My wife's family is all from Cleveland, so I do take every opportunity to make fun of it when I get the chance...but it's not actually that bad of a place to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aye possible future classmate. Was fortunate as well to interview at both but waitlisted at Case. I would say Pitt but hey, I am biased :-D

Although on a serious note, what factors are you considering?

Well heyyy!! Are you going to Pitt?? I personally did not have a great interview day at Pitt, but I think that may have been due to some serious sleep deprivation (flight got delayed and didn't get in until 3 in the morning before my interview). The people didn't seem very happy to me there, but I also know that could be due to the sleep deprivation. I'm currently interested in surgery, so I'm trying to decide which school gives me the best shot at a decent residency. I also am curious as to what Pitt's Step 1 score averages are because I can't find them anywhere. I definitely want to go to Pitt's second look because I feel like I didn't get a great first impression. What do you like about the school?

Well heyyy!! Are you going to Pitt?? I personally did not have a great interview day at Pitt, but I think that may have been due to some serious sleep deprivation (flight got delayed and didn't get in until 3 in the morning before my interview). The people didn't seem very happy to me there, but I also know that could be due to the sleep deprivation. I'm currently interested in surgery, so I'm trying to decide which school gives me the best shot at a decent residency. I also am curious as to what Pitt's Step 1 score averages are because I can't find them anywhere. I definitely want to go to Pitt's second look because I feel like I didn't get a great first impression. What do you like about the school?

Hey!!! So I had an opposite interview experience at Pitt. It was in my top three of interview experiences and the polar opposite to what I had at Case (I felt very tense granted it was my first interview and Pitt was my third). My interview group was just very chatty and friendly and the students appeared happy to me. I would def encourage you to come back for second look - I am planning on going for sure! We should link up then yay!

Pitt is def on of my top choices and I am debating between that and another place. It is gonna come down to finances for me. Pitt is def the lowest cost of living out of other places I am looking at. I also want to go into academic medicine and I know Pitt has a strong hold in that area and the same goes to for surgery which you are considering.

As for the step 1 scores I remember the tour guide saying that it was well above the national average and that people did well on it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the points, maybe someone on here does? I can ask my student host and get back to you on that.

I forgot to put what I like about it: the cost of living cannot be beat well I know Cleveland is lower, the research opportunities and hospital system is wider, I felt that the community involvement here was more and I loved the fact that they had mini electives (I didn't see this elsewhere), the city of Pittsburgh seemed to have more to do (I lived in Cleveland for 3 months just so you know). These are a few things I liked about Pitt (but like I said, I am biased)

Hey!!! So I had an opposite interview experience at Pitt. It was in my top three of interview experiences and the polar opposite to what I had at Case (I felt very tense granted it was my first interview and Pitt was my third). My interview group was just very chatty and friendly and the students appeared happy to me. I would def encourage you to come back for second look - I am planning on going for sure! We should link up then yay!

Pitt is def on of my top choices and I am debating between that and another place. It is gonna come down to finances for me. Pitt is def the lowest cost of living out of other places I am looking at. I also want to go into academic medicine and I know Pitt has a strong hold in that area and the same goes to for surgery which you are considering.

As for the step 1 scores I remember the tour guide saying that it was well above the national average and that people did well on it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the points, maybe someone on here does? I can ask my student host and get back to you on that.

I forgot to put what I like about it: the cost of living cannot be beat well I know Cleveland is lower, the research opportunities and hospital system is wider, I felt that the community involvement here was more and I loved the fact that they had mini electives (I didn't see this elsewhere), the city of Pittsburgh seemed to have more to do (I lived in Cleveland for 3 months just so you know). These are a few things I liked about Pitt (but like I said, I am biased)

I am definitely going to Second Look and we should definitely meet up! Thank you for giving me your thoughts, they're very useful :)

Regarding reputation, residency prospects, step scores, etc, I really think these two schools are exactly the same. I wouldn't worry about that and would focus more on location, curriculum, and specific opportunities you may be interested in.

Pittsburgh's clinical training sites are some of the best in the nation (UPMC Presby-Shadyside). In terms of surgery, I think you would be hard pressed to find the diversity of patient cases that may be in Cleveland or other cities because of how wide UPMC reaches in terms of patient population. UPMC is a hegemon between Harrisburg, Youngstown, Rochester/Buffalo area, and WV. Moreover, UPMC/Pitt is one of the fastest rising research centers in terms of NIH funding. Also, I've spent considerable time in both cities, they are both revitalized rust belt cities that get a completely unfair rap, but Pittsburgh has become a mini silicon valley and health sciences hub with so many things to do (and cheap cost of living). With all that in mind, I would choose Pitt quite handedly over Case (but I'm also biased).
Edit: misinfo about Case's clinical site

Last edited:
Pittsburgh's clinical training sites are some of the best in the nation (UPMC Presby-Shadyside). In terms of surgery, I think you would be hard pressed to find the diversity of patient cases that may be in Cleveland or other cities because of how wide UPMC reaches in terms of patient population. Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think Case loses many patients to Cleveland Clinic and perhaps Ohio State or UPMC. UPMC is a hegemon between Harrisburg, Youngstown, Rochester/Buffalo area, and WV. Moreover, UPMC/Pitt is one of the fastest rising research centers in terms of NIH funding. Also, I've spent considerable time in both cities, they are both revitalized rust belt cities that get a completely unfair rap, but Pittsburgh has become a mini silicon valley and health sciences hub with so many things to do (and cheap cost of living). With all that in mind, I would choose Pitt quite handedly over Case (but I'm also biased).

Cleveland Clinic is a Case rotation site.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at both Case and Pitt as well. I was far more impressed by Pitt and would choose it over Case any day. Perhaps I just got unlucky with my day at Case, but I was left very under impressed. I was not blown away by anything there. However, the thing that turned me off the most was my interactions with their students. They did not seem nearly as happy as the Pitt students, maybe it was a test week or something and they were stressed, idk. However, I felt as though the students at Pitt were much more laid back, happy, and in general, people I would want to hang out with.

Also, I personally think that Pittsburgh is a far superior location. I traveled to Cleveland twice this interview cycle and was able to explore quit a bit. I would choose Pittsburgh location wise any day.

Both schools have a fantastic reputation and I do not think you can make a bad choice as far as getting into a great residency program.

Come to Pitt so we can have GoT watch parties. That is all.

Reactions: 3 users
@drnala15 I am in the same boat with picking Case v. Pitt.
Here is my breakdown:

Pitt:
Pros:
++ UPMC = huge breadth of clinical opportunities
+++ Research = Ranked 5th in NIH funding means we as med students will have no issue finding a research lab that does interesting work/will let us work
+ P/F = duh
++ The city = I loved pittsburgh, I found it to be a bigger better Cincy (where I'm from) with amazing food and good neighborhoods like Shadyside.
++ $$$ = I anticipate that Pitt will give pretty good need based aid (see pitt thread and unit loans) so i expect to be paying ~35K per year
++ Match list = crazy good for anything you want to do

Cons:
- Cost of Living = a bit more expensive than CLE
- Weekly sched = I felt that Pitt required more time in class/wk but I could be wrong on this
? Step one scores?

Case:
Pros:
+++Cleveland Clinic = amazing spot to do rotations, equal or better to UPMC
+Research = not as much as Pitt but still a lot to do
+P/F = Again, duh
++Culture = Case students seemed the most chill, but maybe that was just the day I interviewed
+City = I still liked Cleveland alot, especially the university circle area and cleveland heights.
+Cost of living = dirt cheap in cleveland heights but still a nice area

Cons:
--$$$ = event w/o financial aid, the tuition is 6k more expensive, I (anecdotally) hear that their financial aid is not very good especially compared to Pitt so could turn out to potentially 25k more expensive
- CCLCM = I am waitlisted at cclcm, so if I didn't get in, I don't know if I could live in the shadow of that amazing program. This is just me tho....

If I had to choose right now, it would be Pitt due to the shear amount of opportunities in clinical and research areas. Also, I really do think it will be significantly cheaper but I will not know until we get aid letters back.

Hey guys. First year at Case. Happy to field any questions. FWIW, I chose Case over Dartmouth.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Case does have a very chill attitude and our exams are fair (even though everyone stresses when it comes to exam time) -- I'm always surprised at how lenient they grade. There seems to be plenty of opportunities here - whether that be research, volunteering, or extra classes/degrees. As a school that is not in the top 10, we are always striving to improve (which I think is a great thing). Faculty is extremely responsive to feedback. Because you will be done by 12noon pretty much every day, you have a ton of time to either relax, study or do something extra.

Good luck with the decision and congrats!

@drnala15 I am in the same boat with picking Case v. Pitt.
Here is my breakdown:

Pitt:
Pros:
++ UPMC = huge breadth of clinical opportunities
+++ Research = Ranked 5th in NIH funding means we as med students will have no issue finding a research lab that does interesting work/will let us work
+ P/F = duh
++ The city = I loved pittsburgh, I found it to be a bigger better Cincy (where I'm from) with amazing food and good neighborhoods like Shadyside.
++ $$$ = I anticipate that Pitt will give pretty good need based aid (see pitt thread and unit loans) so i expect to be paying ~35K per year
++ Match list = crazy good for anything you want to do

Cons:
- Cost of Living = a bit more expensive than CLE
- Weekly sched = I felt that Pitt required more time in class/wk but I could be wrong on this
? Step one scores?

Case:
Pros:
+++Cleveland Clinic = amazing spot to do rotations, equal or better to UPMC
+Research = not as much as Pitt but still a lot to do
+P/F = Again, duh
++Culture = Case students seemed the most chill, but maybe that was just the day I interviewed
+City = I still liked Cleveland alot, especially the university circle area and cleveland heights.
+Cost of living = dirt cheap in cleveland heights but still a nice area

Cons:
--$$$ = event w/o financial aid, the tuition is 6k more expensive, I (anecdotally) hear that their financial aid is not very good especially compared to Pitt so could turn out to potentially 25k more expensive
- CCLCM = I am waitlisted at cclcm, so if I didn't get in, I don't know if I could live in the shadow of that amazing program. This is just me tho....

If I had to choose right now, it would be Pitt due to the shear amount of opportunities in clinical and research areas. Also, I really do think it will be significantly cheaper but I will not know until we get aid letters back.

Thank you for your feedback!! I'm glad someone else is in the same boat as me!