Pitt vs Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tutor526

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted to both schools, also WL at Duke and would consider if accepted. I think I want to go into Peds with a subspecialty like derm, EM, etc but am well aware that the vast majority of people change their minds. I had some issues early on in UG but came back strong, and got a near-perfect score on the MCAT. I plan on working very hard during medical school and would love to do residency at one of the Children's Hospitals in Philly or Boston if possible

Parents will NOT be assisting me financially for med school, but I should have about 45-50k saved up from my gap year of tutoring by the time I start school in the fall

Cincinnati:
About 90k cheaper over the 4 years
Mid-tier program
Great for Peds, 3rd best children's hospital

Pitt:
Top-tier program
90k more expensive
My SO and I both have friends in the area - she would prefer to move here
In-state
Also good children's hospital (#7)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say Pitt. It's an awesome school and it will help you out with the big name children hospitals. 90,000 is a lot but see how financial aid works for you

Reactions: 1 user
pitt! seems like it would benefit you and your SO more...all except cost (but sometimes the loans are worth it)

I got into both of these programs. I am expecting that with need based aid (which I hear is very generous at Pitt) the COA at Pitt will be roughly around the cost of UC unless your parents/you are loaded. However, I am still waiting to see if this will hold true.

In terms of research and clinical training, you can't beat UPMC. I am currently at UC undergrad and I have worked at Cincy Children's for a few years. While it is an amazing institution, I think that the sheer massiveness of Pitt and UPMC trumps the opportunities at UC/CCHMC. To be honest, the research opportunities at UC are meh. Nowhere close to that of UPMC (from my limited experience and Pitt being ranked #5 in NIH funding).

Good luck with your choice! I hope we may be future classmates!

How are the clinical research opportunities at Cincy Children's? If possible I would love to do a peds residency in Boston or Philly, and obviously that will be very competitive

I got some need-based aid at Cincy, and would be establishing IS residency before the first year if I go there, but at Pitt I'm not expecting any aid (non-custodial parent from CSS profile). However, it does seem that Pitt is the best option overall and worth the cost

Members don't see this ad :)
How are the clinical research opportunities at Cincy Children's? If possible I would love to do a peds residency in Boston or Philly, and obviously that will be very competitive

I got some need-based aid at Cincy, and would be establishing IS residency before the first year if I go there, but at Pitt I'm not expecting any aid (non-custodial parent from CSS profile). However, it does seem that Pitt is the best option overall and worth the cost

I'm not certain about the clinical research as I was never involved in that side. I know that there were some projects in my department so I'm sure you could find something. If you are set on peds, then maybe that makes the decision harder because children's is pretty amazing. Really, children's has the large majority of research opportunities (that have funding and are impactful), not UC. But it's right across the street so that's all accessible.

In the end, you probably can't go wrong with either given your goals. I'm probably partially biased against cincy because I'm ready to get out of here after 5 years lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not certain about the clinical research as I was never involved in that side. I know that there were some projects in my department so I'm sure you could find something. If you are set on peds, then maybe that makes the decision harder because children's is pretty amazing. Really, children's has the large majority of research opportunities (that have funding and are impactful), not UC. But it's right across the street so that's all accessible.

In the end, you probably can't go wrong with either given your goals. I'm probably partially biased against cincy because I'm ready to get out of here after 5 years lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really appreciate your insight, this is super helpful. Cincy Children's is absolutely the complicating factor for me, but I do feel like I have to go with Pitt

Jesus how much did you charge for tutoring haha

I've been fortunate enough to work with a lot of great people! Most of my clients are in the 65-85/hr range right now. I started out at 20/hr and was only doing it part-time, but steadily increased the rate as I got busier and more experienced as a tutor. I made the switch to doing it full-time and now get around 30 paid hours per week. I'd say that I'm working about 50 hrs/week if you include driving, prep, and talking to potential clients, and it isn't bad at all. I really enjoy the opportunity to help people learn about science, I think the emphasis of critical thinking and experimental interpretation on the new MCAT is awesome and super fun, and of course the money is great as well!

Man that's awesome! What a great way to spend your gap year haha I think I would've way preferred tutoring over working as a scribe during mine.

I actually looked into scribing but couldn't find any scribe companies or really any mention of scribing in my area. Tutorung has definitely been an overwhelmingly positive experience that I would recommend to anyone, and I'm really glad I found about the opportunity