Pitt vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Elmer_Hartman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 schools. I keep switching back and forth between them, so any help would be appreciated! My main concern is that my long-time (5 years) S/O goes to school in Philly, so Jefferson would be great for that reason. I currently live with her, and have for the past 3 years. I also went to college in Philly, have been working there for 2 years now, and have a lot of close friends living here. Philly is also closer to family in Baltimore and DC. But... I love research and see myself going into academic medicine. And there is a clear ranking/prestige difference between Pitt (#14) vs. Jefferson (#57). My worry is that going to Jefferson would put me at a disadvantage for matching into top research programs, especially with step 1 going pass/fail. Cost is not a factor.

Pitt
Pros
- Great research opportunities
- Loved the city when I visited
- Significantly higher ranked for both research (#14) and primary care (#17); advantageous for academic medicine
- Loved the vibe / students seemed really happy during the interview day
- Relatively cheap city to live in, great housing options

Cons
- Not Philly, and not very easy to travel to Philly (5 hour drive, 1.5 hour flight)
- Farther away from my S/O, family, and friends
- Smaller city, less fun that Philly (in my opinion)
- Would have to "start over" - find new research mentor, housing, etc.

Jefferson
Pros
- Same city as my S/O and friends, closer to family
- Wouldn't have to find new housing
- Bigger city, more fun
- Reputation for good clinical education
- Existing research mentor - could continue with research I am currently doing, wouldn't have to "start over"

Cons
- Significantly lower ranked in both research (#57) and primary care (#52), might put me at disadvantage for academic medicine
- Less research opportunities available
- Huge class size (270): more competition for research opportunities

Something else to consider: as of now, I am interested in neurology, which is not a very competitive specialty. Both Jefferson and Pitt have excellent match lists for Neurology.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

what specialty are you considering?
I would still chose pitt with your goal of academic medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
You won’t have any issue matching neuro from Jeff. While not Pitt, Jeff actually has a pretty good neuro set up and even has a whole hospital committed to neuroscience. Stay with your SO, family, and friends! You’ll regret it if you don’t

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)