Pitt vs Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raist05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that these kind of threads can be a little vague, but I've searched through the forum archives and there's really only one other thread that compares these schools and it's from 2003. This is a difficult decision for me. I'm from Pittsburgh but most of the people that I would want to be close to are from Philly. I enjoy the clinical aspect of medicine much more than research, but Pitt has such a fantastic reputation that it might not even matter that they're a "research school," plus it's a lot cheaper. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I know that these kind of threads can be a little vague, but I've searched through the forum archives and there's really only one other thread that compares these schools and it's from 2003. This is a difficult decision for me. I'm from Pittsburgh but most of the people that I would want to be close to are from Philly. I enjoy the clinical aspect of medicine much more than research, but Pitt has such a fantastic reputation that it might not even matter that they're a "research school," plus it's a lot cheaper. Thoughts?

i think it will be hard to make a case that the answer isn't "pitt," and that this choice isn't "hands-down."

The best clinicians I have met graduated from Jefferson.
Reputation is not a good enough reason to go to Pitt, but price could be.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would be happier in Philly, then go to Jefferson.

Haha - I go to Jefferson, but I went to undergrad at Pitt. My sister graduated from Jefferson, then went to Pitt for residency/fellowship. How's that for perspective?! :D

It really depends on which school you felt more comfortable at. Both are good schools, although (if you're a PA resident) I think Pitt is cheaper. Which one did you like better? (You don't have to say it out loud, if you don't want to risk offending anyone.) The amount of early clinical training might also be a factor, but I don't know enough about Pitt's curriculum to comment.

Who are the people in Philadelphia that you are close to? There's no reason why you won't see them often. One of the people in the class above me would come to classes on M-F, and then, on Friday afternoon, drive to Pittsburgh to be with her boyfriend (now husband, I think). It was tough, but she budgeted her time well and made it work. I don't know how Pitt's class schedule works, but maybe you could do that too if you end up in Pittsburgh.

It sounds like you want to go to Jefferson. I think Philly is a great place to be, so you can't go wrong with that aspect, and I believe that Jefferson has great clinical training. Ultimately, it's up to you and where you think you'll be happiest. Don't want to live life with regret. :)

Who are the people in Philadelphia that you are close to? There's no reason why you won't see them often. I don't know how Pitt's class schedule works, but maybe you could do that too if you end up in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh's 5 hours from Philly, each way. It works out about the same if you fly (door to door). Not to mention the expense. People have done it, but its definitely not worth it if Philly's where you want to be.