Pitt vs. NYU ... any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juelz721

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
To add to the plethora of Pitt vs. x schools, I wanted to know your outlook on Pitt vs. NYU.

I definitely want to come back to NY for residency...so which one will make that easier and more fun along the way?

Members don't see this ad.

NYC >>>>> Pittsburgh , no competition here. I hear NYU students have a lot of fun during medical school. They work had and play hard. They get great residency as well. P/F there is awesome too. You don't need to have a car in NYC which is very attractive to me. You can save around 10k a year with the cost of car/gas/insurance/maintenance. You'd need a car in Pittsburgh.

But Pitt is a research powerhouse and higher ranked. They have great research at going on there. I'm sure you can find exciting research at NYU as well. They are particularly strong in medical imaging, dermatology and neuroscience. There is a lot of collaboration b/w NYU and Columbia researchers.

Congrats with your great choices, I might see you at NYU in the fall !

Thank you for your great response. I am still on the nyu waitlist, so this is a bit premature. I guess I may be faced with a rather fun decision...or maybe not...

Good luck at nyu :)

Any thoughts on matching from nyu vs pitt...aka similar applicants want a derm residency in columbia...who gets it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools are great, and you can have great careers coming out of both. Congratulations on your acceptance! They are two of my top schools as well!

Personally I would pick NYU, but that's probably because I think the clinical training you'd get there would be slightly better than what you'd get at Pitt and I love NYC. But if you're big into research, go to Pitt.

I had actually declined my acceptance at NYU in favor of going to Pitt, so obviously I vote Pitt. They are powerhouse both in research and clinically (it's the only med school in the city of Pittsburgh, and the UPMC umbrella is gigantic, so no shortage of clinical experience). And the way they personalize everything (in my acceptance letter, they mentioned specific things in my application that led them to accept me) gives you such a great feel for how responsive and caring the faculty is towards their students. At second look, they vibe I got was definitely that Pitt loves their med students 110% and they do their best to train and prepare their students for their clinical rotations (they videotape and debrief you're mock patient interviews and practice session on the WISER dummies, etc).

I'm ultimately matriculating at Penn, in large part to be near my fiance, but Pitt definitely holds a special place in my heart :)

Pitt is better unless you care a lot about living in Manhattan.

If you go to Pitt, you will not have to dodge cranes falling out of the sky, so that is good. Longer life expectancy.

If you go to Pitt, you will not have to dodge cranes falling out of the sky, so that is good. Longer life expectancy.

ohhh u didn't just go there, well mayor mike says that the two events in a short time are not a pattern...

now I got into NYU so I really have to choose...ooooo boyyyy :)

I'd actually really like to learn more about NYU's curriculum. I posted this on the NYU class of 2012 but it was moved to the allo thread. Can anyone here pitch in ?

I know its pass/fail traditional curriculum. Do they rank people ? (only for AOA, right?) How is my typical week going to be at NYU? classes 8-12? classes 9-4 ? Is the courses in blocks ? How about exams? every week ? once a month ?

Anyone has the most recent match list ?

Having lived in both cities- I laughed out loud when the poster wrote that you would SAVE $10,000 a year in NYC! That is completely wrong. First, Pitt is in a great neighborhood with plenty of residential areas within walking distance and not bad public transportation by bus. My rent in Pittsburgh, now that I am back, is 1/3 of what I payed in NYC for much more space and a way more livable situation. Everything-from groceries to restaurants to rent is much more affordable in Pittsburgh.

They're both great schools, and I wouldn't have commented except to say- by far- Pittsburgh is a MUCH more affordable city.

Good luck!

Having lived in both cities- I laughed out loud when the poster wrote that you would SAVE $10,000 a year in NYC! That is completely wrong. First, Pitt is in a great neighborhood with plenty of residential areas within walking distance and not bad public transportation by bus. My rent in Pittsburgh, now that I am back, is 1/3 of what I payed in NYC for much more space and a way more livable situation. Everything-from groceries to restaurants to rent is much more affordable in Pittsburgh.

They're both great schools, and I wouldn't have commented except to say- by far- Pittsburgh is a MUCH more affordable city.

Good luck!

If you have a car vs. not having a car, you're going to pay 10k more. How is that funny ? I've been to Pittsburgh and my cousin and her husband are a resident and attending in UPMC. You'd be very limited if you didn't have a car in Pittsburgh. I didn't argue the cost of living, I argued having a car would probably be an equalizer for the cost of living.

Also, I don't know if the OP would live in the dorm style Rubin hall, but its subsidized and super cheap. Its only $650 a month I believe. That is very cheap for most big cities. I haven't got the housing package , but thats what I was told in my interview. Again, I'm not arguing the quality of life here, just the cost. Ofcourse having your own studio (which is possible in Pittsburgh) would be more desirable.

dude...

new york city...or pittsburgh?

sure, money is an issue, but its not like your going to not be making money as a doctor, and don't most doctors do quite well for themselves not just the ones that went to cheaper medical schools?

you know in your heart what is more important to you...and the school aspects, while important, are generally going to be the same everywhere. everyone is studying for the same boards, everyone is goign to learn the same things...whether you have more lecture time or not, whether your curriculum is p/f or not. you are going to have to slog through the same crap everyone else across the country is going to slave through. there are going to be douchebags and gunners at both medical schools, whether you like it or not.

now...with school being the same everywhere, you have to look at the other factors. living in new york city and everything that goes along with that, or livign in Pittsburgh and everything that goes with that....and you yourself know the answer to that, not some internet forum.

Last edited: