Pitzer/ Western BS-DO 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madamebovary

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got in :) anyone want to talk about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

im just not sure whether to go to undergrad "ucla or berkeley" or just go for the seven year program.

im just not sure whether to go to undergrad "ucla or berkeley" or just go for the seven year program.

Does Pitzer require their students to go to Western post-grad? If so, and you want to be a DO, then go for it -- Western is pretty good.

I don't think UCLA or Berkley will get you into a med school unless they, too, have a combined program with their affiliated MD schools ...

I'd go to Pitzer if they don't require the commitment. That way, you can always have Western as a backup if you don't get in elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope i dont think its binding to go to western, but western isnt bad either

If you have the opportunity to go to Undergrad at UCLA or Berkeley, why don't you try the combined Thomas Hader UC Riverside/UCLA Medical program? You'd do your undergrad at Riverside, and then matriculate into the med school at UCLA. Now, I don't know if it's as "automatic" as that - you'd still have to do well as an undergrad. But it's a feeder program, and as a high school student, you'd do well to check it out!

i know about the ucla program with ucr, but its not much of a guarantee. They give 24 spots for ucr kids to ucla. but the program consists of i think 240 premed students

Touche. There's always the chance Inviz. Go get em'.

Nah, I prefer the potential e-police over a real trooper anyday ...

I agree. Berkeley or UCLA doesn't get you into med school. Is the guarantee into any DO med school?

is it true that the Western COMP admission standard went up? like the required MCAT score has gone up

yah i think the requirement for the program kids went up too- which is why i asked if the average for GPA and MCAT went up for COMP

Also, i do have one question: "is residency more important than where you went for med school?" or vise versa?

yah i think the requirement for the program kids went up too- which is why i asked if the average for GPA and MCAT went up for COMP

Also, i do have one question: "is residency more important than where you went for med school?" or vise versa?

residency.

so the point of going to a better med school is?- is because they prepare you better for residency?

so the point of going to a better med school is?- is because they prepare you better for residency?

Where you go to residency is in my opinion, more important than where you went to medical school. I am a 3rd year medical student at UCLA and I am planning on hopefully getting a residency at UCLA. As far as the UCR-UCLA program, about 24 UCR students are in each UCLA medical school class. They start off with almost 300 students that get weeded down to about 24. There are very strict with GPA/testing requirements and it is actually a pretty tough program that is very competitive, considering that you do your undergrad and med school curriculum in 7 years not 8 years.

As far as your question regarding COMP/Western U raising their requirements, contact them directly. The MCAT is not that bad....you should do fine.

thank you guys for helping me answer many questions; im pretty sure that i will enter this program and give up my spot at ucla and berkeley undergrad. For my year, i guess the min mcat requirement didnt change, but a change for next year's applicants- a good sign the COMP is improving a lot.

and yes, this is a guarantee directly into Western/COMp as long as i score a 24 on mcat and 3.3 Science gpa