places to stay in sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US med. student scheduled to complete a 4 week elective in Sydney at the Royal North Shore Hospital - I am currently looking for accomodation - anyone have any advice? I'd like to be in an area within walking distance to public transportation and I have never been to Sydney so I do not know the layout. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm actually going to do a rotation at rnsh in april. when will you be there?
i'm staying at billy blue palace, a hostel that is a 10 minute walk to the
hospital. it includes breakfast and dinner daily. and it's pretty cheap with
lots of international students. here's the website. i was wondering if you
got your visa already. did you do the electronic visa? i'm not sure if it's
applicable to me. i assume i'm "assessment 1". they recommend going to
their embassy to be sure but the nearest one is dc. thanks! oz will be fun!

http://www.billyblue.com.au/palace/about.html

path4 said:
I am a US med. student scheduled to complete a 4 week elective in Sydney at the Royal North Shore Hospital - I am currently looking for accomodation - anyone have any advice? I'd like to be in an area within walking distance to public transportation and I have never been to Sydney so I do not know the layout. Thanks!

I will be there the last week of march and all of April - I will be in the path department. How did you hear about this hostel? Just curious. I did get my visa when I purchased airfare.
I was thinking of renting an apartment for the month in either central sydney or north sydney closer to the hospital - maybe I'll stay at this hostel instead -its much cheaper.

blackwell said:
i'm actually going to do a rotation at rnsh in april. when will you be there?
i'm staying at billy blue palace, a hostel that is a 10 minute walk to the
hospital. it includes breakfast and dinner daily. and it's pretty cheap with
lots of international students. here's the website. i was wondering if you
got your visa already. did you do the electronic visa? i'm not sure if it's
applicable to me. i assume i'm "assessment 1". they recommend going to
their embassy to be sure but the nearest one is dc. thanks! oz will be fun!

http://www.billyblue.com.au/palace/about.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it open again? According to the site, it sounds like they might be closed for "redevelopment". Recommended going to their embassy? They think that is useful advice?

hey path4 and blackwell,
i will be doing a rotation at the Royal North Shore Hosp too- mid april to mid may. geriatrics, but i'm actually going into path. so you guys have already got your plane tix and accomodations, huh. guess i should get on the ball with that. if you don't mind my asking, which airline did you go with and how much did the airfare cost you? thanks.

Hey - I haven't got my accomodations yet but I think I will be staying at greenwich village (formerly billy blue I think) for a week or two and then I was going to stay in the central city for 2 weeks for something different. I"ve been trying to find an apartment sublet but have so far been unlucky. I got my airfare through STA travel because I wanted to have the option of changing the dates for cheap if I needed too - I paid 1300 which is way more than if you just buy online.
Where are you looking to do Path?
The greenwich village is about 15 min. walk to RNSH - or so they tell me.

[
QUOTE=redsox5]hey path4 and blackwell,
i will be doing a rotation at the Royal North Shore Hosp too- mid april to mid may. geriatrics, but i'm actually going into path. so you guys have already got your plane tix and accomodations, huh. guess i should get on the ball with that. if you don't mind my asking, which airline did you go with and how much did the airfare cost you? thanks.[/QUOTE]

i don't know if i'm being naive or idealistic, but i'm still hoping to find an apt or sublet or something of the kind. how have you been looking for one? i'll PM you with more probing questions.
i'm hoping to do path in nyc. what about you?

This is bizarre - I too am hoping to path in NYC - PM me and we can talk about the programs we are looking at. I have been looking for a sublet with no luck so far but there are plenty of furnished apartment rentals available all over the city - they are a bit pricey and charge by the week. Some require a month stay or more.
And I don't how accessible RNSH hospital is from public transportation or how long from sydney center it takes to get there.

path4 said:
This is bizarre - I too am hoping to path in NYC - PM me and we can talk about the programs we are looking at. I have been looking for a sublet with no luck so far but there are plenty of furnished apartment rentals available all over the city - they are a bit pricey and charge by the week. Some require a month stay or more.
And I don't how accessible RNSH hospital is from public transportation or how long from sydney center it takes to get there.

If you're at RNSH itself, its only a few minutes walk from St Leonards station - very convienent. St Leonards and surrounding suburbs are pretty nice. See http://www.131500.com.au for public transport info to/from the city, also http://www.whereis.com.au to get an idea of how St Leonards fits in with surrounding suburbs.

Of course if you are at one of Northern's other hospitals, they are in completely different parts of Sydney, so check!

Regards,
Tamara