Placing Composite over GIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperC

SuperC DMD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any protocols for placing composite over a Fuji GI. The pt has had a GIC placed as a "temporary" for about two weeks on the DL cusp of 19, sorry no radiographs.

Out side of a standard DOL prep are there any min/max thickness that I should be aware of, or special considerations?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
-C

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any protocols for placing composite over a Fuji GI. The pt has had a GIC placed as a "temporary" for about two weeks on the DL cusp of 19, sorry no radiographs.

Out side of a standard DOL prep are there any min/max thickness that I should be aware of, or special considerations?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
-C
Placing resin over a GI is something some people call the "sandwich technique," which you may already have known. It's perfectly fine to do. Make sure you don't leave any GI on the margins to interfere with resin bonding, but otherwise it's just like putting a GI base under an alloy. Just leave a couple millimeters of room for the resin, and you should be fine.

Just to make sure, you're not trying to replace the whole DL cusp with direct resin, are you? :p

What are you taught to use as a cavity liner? We use VitreBond, which is a light cure GI. We use this stuff all the time, you just put down a thin layer on the pulpal floor, cure it, remove any excess near the cavosurface, and then restore normally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Placing resin over a GI is something some people call the "sandwich technique," which you may already have known. It's perfectly fine to do. Make sure you don't leave any GI on the margins to interfere with resin bonding, but otherwise it's just like putting a GI base under an alloy. Just leave a couple millimeters of room for the resin, and you should be fine.

Just to make sure, you're not trying to replace the whole DL cusp with direct resin, are you? :p

To be honest, I looked at the xrays and I cannot really see what is going on. I have not seen the patient yet, so I will have to report back to tell you what really was going on. The previous attending deemed to to be restorable so I am assuming it is not a cuspal replacement!

-C

What are you taught to use as a cavity liner? We use VitreBond, which is a light cure GI. We use this stuff all the time, you just put down a thin layer on the pulpal floor, cure it, remove any excess near the cavosurface, and then restore normally.

Yeah we have used several different liners, however I guess what I was getting at is, can it be used as a build up material. That's what the radiograph seems to show, however it is difficult to see anything. I guess I was just wondering in there was a limit in terms of amount of material. GIC as a liner shure, but a substantial amount?

-C

if you try using vitrebond as a build up, you are going to be there all day! im sure you already knew that.

i would try using a RMGI (fuji II LC) versus a conventional GI (fujiIX) as a buildup material. since it is light cure, it has good early set strength and the resin matrix protects the glass ionomer reaction from moisture. if you use the polyacrylic acid dentin conditioner, the bond strength of the material to dentin is quite high. to cover with composite resin, just acid etch, bond and place the composite. as long as you keep the enamel margins clean, you should be good to go.

its not for cuspal coverage though. while i do have a couple patients currently deployed to Iraq that i used extensive RMGI to restore, it was all class 4 anterior work as part of high caries risk protocol. i will be veneering the RMGI with composite resin when they get back (that would be the sandwich technique). instead of trying to shoe a cusp with resin, might i suggest a nice gold or ceramic onlay?