Plagiarism IA with mcat score- what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would never discuss the IA purposely or bring more attention to it unless directly asked
Pretty sure he/she was joking lol. But you never know I guess

Members don't see this ad.

What are some of these “absolute dealbreakers?”

I would imagine felonies? Having more than one of any IA is bad since that person wouldn’t have learned their lesson. I’m probably forgetting some.
LizzyM pretty much covered the field. They boil down to crimes of moral turpitude. That and crimes against persons rather than property. Lethal academic IAs include significant cheating, like breaking into your prof's office to steal answer keys (true story) or having someone else take an exam for you (also true story) or getting dismissed from another med school, or other professional school (multiple true stories).

We see these things and I have heard the following from my colleagues:

"No f'ing way"
"Over my dead body is he coming here"

And from the Divine Miss M "I'd rather have an empty seat in lecture than admit this kid".

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Lee, we spoke about this before but I got in with a conduct IA that also resulted in expulsion from the school and felony charges. Not conviction, for anyone who's wondering. I was accepted to a DO school with average stats 9 years after the IA, which I received at age 19.

I tried my best in my application to demonstrate maturity, responsibility and conscientiousness. My goal was to proactively counter the assumptions one might make about me based on the nature of my IA. Being stably employed, working my way through school to graduate debt free, taking leadership roles when possible and doing ECs that pushed me out of my "comfort zone" and got me to engage with new ideas. I developed strong people skills from working front of house in an upscale service job full time and part time for 8 years. It's possible that my appearance helped too. I'm an Asian woman and appear younger I really am. For better or worse, people tend to assume I'm harmless.

To summarize, I put a lot of work into myself and tried to be strategic about my narrative, while staying authentic to where I'm coming from. But I believe the biggest factor to getting accepted with an IA is something you only half control: letting the IA become the distant past and "keeping your nose clean" the entire time.

Reactions: 2 users
not all plagiarism IAs are the same but unfortunately my plagiarism IA is as bad as it gets (barring just copy and pasting). Basically read over a friend's lab report and mine turned out very similar although the differences are obvious the methodology and overall structure was the same. So yeah, I'm about as bad as they come.
I recognize I am replying to something that is months old, but for some reason this is thread has come alive so I want to ask:

I don’t really understand how this is plagiarism…? How different can two lab reports be? You have the same sections, subsections, doing the same experiments, reporting the same types of results…? Or am I misunderstanding the extent of what was copied?

LizzyM pretty much covered the field. They boil down to crimes of moral turpitude. That and crimes against persons rather than property. Lethal academic IAs include significant cheating, like breaking into your prof's office to steal answer keys (true story) or having someone else take an exam for you (also true story) or getting dismissed from another med school, or other professional school (multiple true stories).

We see these things and I have heard the following from my colleagues:

"No f'ing way"
"Over my dead body is he coming here"

And from the Divine Miss M "I'd rather have an empty seat in lecture than admit this kid".
I also thought of not reporting an IA and being found out

Also to anyone with an IA similar to mine please don't hesitate to reach out! I'm more hopeful by the day that I can move past this thing and you can too it just might take some time! My messages are open

im surprised this thread took off out of nowhere

Like I said, it might be the whole story that would doom an applicant, rather than the just the charge which doesn't always tell the whole story.

Certain IA explanations that included manslaughter or murder, big time drug dealing, fraud, theft from patients' rooms, sexual assault of children, elder abuse, terrorism, conviction for involvement in the events of 1/6/2021 might be the sort of thing that would be a deal breaker for an adcom. Always, the question is, "would we want someone in our community who did that?" and the explanation might be the only thing that the adcom feels the need to read before saying, "Next!"
I would bet my life and everything I own that not one person that was there on 1/6 will ever take the mcat or apply lol

Reactions: 1 users