Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I wrote about this before in this post . Long story short, I plagiarized in the spring of my 2nd year (spring 2019)--> grade reduced from A- to B+, and I am trying to keep my dreams alive. I took the MCAT this past summer (September 2020) and scored a 517 (130/127/131/129). my final gpa is looking to be around 3.86.

What do I do now? I'm planning on doing Americorps for a gap year and then applying after (June 2022).

I'm also feeling pressured to apply this summer which would be 2 years after. I have so much anxiety due to this I really am a wreck. I'm a wreck because I feel like I've ruined my life. I'm a wreck because like most of the people on this forum, I have an overwhelming fear of failure which is becoming all too real.

Can someone offer me some advice? 2 gap years? 1? 3 and let my MCAT score expire and retake? What do I do? I know with things like this there is no right answer but I really have tried to work with the professor and he mentioned he could write me a lor.

I would appreciate any advice/criticism. Tell me I'm a failure, tell me I have a chance, just tell me something, please.

Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I wrote about this before in this post . Long story short, I plagiarized in the spring of my 2nd year (spring 2019)--> grade reduced from A- to B+, and I am trying to keep my dreams alive.
You're very lucky. At my school you would have failed the course at best and risk expulsion and having all of your grades cancelled.

Reactions: 2 users
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
It is going to hurt, but I don't consider it lethal like I would if you obtained advance copies of exams, copied someone's exam questions, etc. If there is enough time that has elapsed at the time of application and you have a clean record otherwise, I think you can over come it. It will be important to own up to it (without making excuses) and explain/show how you have learned from it.

I would apply while the MCAT is valid. I think a gap year or two will probably be okay.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Nobody is going to tell you that you are a failure. And as you were told 8 months ago we don’t know if you have a chance-but you might. Not that much has changed since May 2020. Except a very good MCAT score-congratulations. Before you make any decisions you have to get your mental health/emotions under control. You talked about losing your hair from the stress and eight months later you are still a wreck. I understand but you have to get yourself together. You are slowly destroying yourself and you don’t want that. Have you talked to a counselor? You should. You need some coping strategies and a plan to move on from this incident. I’m sure part of your angst is the uncertainty of your future. But there isn’t any good reason to keep battering yourself mentally. You made a giant mistake but it seems like you are trying to repair the damage as best as you can. So be proud of that and continue on your path.
I don’t think you should consider applying in June 2021. You aren’t ready yet. It’s only two years from the incident. You’ve continued college stuff but you haven’t put enough time between you and what happened. You are still in your comfort zone. A year or two of Americorps or something similar will allow you to grow and help you look realistically at your future.
Remember that only around 40-42% of all applicants each cycle are accepted. That’s why people on SDN always advise to consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance. You can’t change the past you can only control and prepare for the future.

Take care of yourself first. Good luck.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I wrote about this before in this post . Long story short, I plagiarized in the spring of my 2nd year (spring 2019)--> grade reduced from A- to B+, and I am trying to keep my dreams alive. I took the MCAT this past summer (September 2020) and scored a 517 (130/127/131/129). my final gpa is looking to be around 3.86.

What do I do now? I'm planning on doing Americorps for a gap year and then applying after (June 2022).

I'm also feeling pressured to apply this summer which would be 2 years after. I have so much anxiety due to this I really am a wreck. I'm a wreck because I feel like I've ruined my life. I'm a wreck because like most of the people on this forum, I have an overwhelming fear of failure which is becoming all too real.

Can someone offer me some advice? 2 gap years? 1? 3 and let my MCAT score expire and retake? What do I do? I know with things like this there is no right answer but I really have tried to work with the professor and he mentioned he could write me a lor.

I would appreciate any advice/criticism. Tell me I'm a failure, tell me I have a chance, just tell me something, please.
Not all plagiarism IAs are the same. What exactly did you do?

Reactions: 1 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
From March 2020:

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I want to make this as brief as possible, to not waste anyone's time for reading.

I cheated. Specifically, I plagiarized. Biology lab last year.So the spring quarter of my 2nd year (I'm now a third-year). Long story short, I referenced a friend's lab report and turns out the mind is more powerful than I thought because I unintentionally (meaning I didn't get their lab report to copy) structured it similarly, and took phrases here and there, which..... is plagiarism. 100% cut and dry. I guess by telling myself that I didn't want to plagiarize makes me feel like I'm not a ****ty person although the deed is done.

In any case, the results:
Admitted to it

I got a 0 on the paper (Grade went from A- to B+). IA with the school (deferred suspension) for 2 years. Basically no immediate 'you can't attend our school' just a big HUGE warning.

The only thing that's been keeping me going is the hope, that somehow someway I still have a chance. I just realized that, if I don't... I should probably know now rather than in like 4 years + a big fat case of depression....

• Hmm
Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nobody is going to tell you that you are a failure. And as you were told 8 months ago we don’t know if you have a chance-but you might. Not that much has changed since May 2020. Except a very good MCAT score-congratulations. Before you make any decisions you have to get your mental health/emotions under control. You talked about losing your hair from the stress and eight months later you are still a wreck. I understand but you have to get yourself together. You are slowly destroying yourself and you don’t want that. Have you talked to a counselor? You should. You need some coping strategies and a plan to move on from this incident. I’m sure part of your angst is the uncertainty of your future. But there isn’t any good reason to keep battering yourself mentally. You made a giant mistake but it seems like you are trying to repair the damage as best as you can. So be proud of that and continue on your path.
I don’t think you should consider applying in June 2021. You aren’t ready yet. It’s only two years from the incident. You’ve continued college stuff but you haven’t put enough time between you and what happened. You are still in your comfort zone. A year or two of Americorps or something similar will allow you to grow and help you look realistically at your future.
Remember that only around 40-42% of all applicants each cycle are accepted. That’s why people on SDN always advise to consider yourself rejected until you have an acceptance. You can’t change the past you can only control and prepare for the future.

Take care of yourself first. Good luck.
I think this is what I needed to hear. The phrase "slowly destroying yourself" actually gave me chills because it's so true. I oftentimes feel like a shell of who I was even 6 months ago. I think even maybe me wanting to apply this year is just the anxiety getting to me. You're right, it's too early I'll apply right before the score expires then. Thank you so much for your response you have no idea how much I appreciate it

• Care
Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not all plagiarism IAs are the same. What exactly did you do?
not all plagiarism IAs are the same but unfortunately my plagiarism IA is as bad as it gets (barring just copy and pasting). Basically read over a friend's lab report and mine turned out very similar although the differences are obvious the methodology and overall structure was the same. So yeah, I'm about as bad as they come.

Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You're very lucky. At my school you would have failed the course at best and risk expulsion and having all of your grades cancelled.
I'm beyond lucky. I'm at a t20 undergrad as well which is shocking to me. The kindness the professor showed me was unbelievable. The door seemed to have been shut in my face just enough where there might be a chance to actually go to med school which is why I'm so anxious about it. Thank you for your reply kind sir

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
not all plagiarism IAs are the same but unfortunately my plagiarism IA is as bad as it gets (barring just copy and pasting). Basically read over a friend's lab report and mine turned out very similar although the differences are obvious the methodology and overall structure was the same. So yeah, I'm about as bad as they come.
You need to put as much time as possible between this incident and your application.

But see to your mental health first. Medical school is a crucible.

LindaAccepted

CEO, Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Sponsor
Vendor
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.accepted.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

I think you're beating yourself up too much.

You made a mistake. People make mistakes. Even pre-meds make mistakes.

As long as you don't do it again, you can still go to medical school. I spoke recently to Dr. Herman Gordon, former Chair of the University of Arizona Medical School admission committee and currently an Accepted consultant, about applying with academic infractions on your record. In his words:

"So there’s reflection, there’s contrition, and there’s redemption.

"The reflection is you need to spend some time thinking about what it is you did wrong, why you did it, how you would act differently in the future. The contrition is after you’ve done that sort of self analysis, then you have to accept that you are the one who was responsible. And you have to make that very clear, right? And then the redemption is that you need to do something that sort of makes amends for what you did wrong."​

You've clearly reflected. You're clearly contrite. Maybe try to do something "redemptive"? Perhaps speak to freshman coming into college? Or offer to speak high school students about the risks of cheating?

And obviously don't do anything that could get you in trouble again.

Best,
Linda

Reactions: 6 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
If this were a really bad IA, you would have gotten an F for the course or been suspeneded from school. Did you intend to cheat? From what you've written, it appears that you did not intend to do so. You weren't saying to your pal, "let's split the work, you do my bio lab report and your own and I'll write our chem lab reports." You made what might be called "an honest mistake."
I do think that adcoms are likely to be merciful in these circumstances, thinking that you were just learning how to write a lab report, rather than intentionally trying to cheat.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

LaughingGas10

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you explain this well on your admission application, and have taken all the necessary steps to redemption , which you are certainly trying, this will likely not be lethal to your final application. I agree with the poster above, that you have already reflected, and you are doing all the right things.

Definitely would help, if you can demonstrate that this experience helped you to mend the ways of others by advising freshmen.

Jan 21, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Does plaigarism show up on your transcript? Is there a note?

There is always a chance a school may look past it; nothing is impossible. However, you got to realize how competitive this process is and if they have applicants with similar stats, they will be less inclined to give you a chance or look imo. Your stats are stellar and sh$t happens so I wish you the best!!

Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you're beating yourself up too much.

You made a mistake. People make mistakes. Even pre-meds make mistakes.

As long as you don't do it again, you can still go to medical school. I spoke recently to Dr. Herman Gordon, former Chair of the University of Arizona Medical School admission committee and currently an Accepted consultant, about applying with academic infractions on your record. In his words:

"So there’s reflection, there’s contrition, and there’s redemption.​
"The reflection is you need to spend some time thinking about what it is you did wrong, why you did it, how you would act differently in the future. The contrition is after you’ve done that sort of self analysis, then you have to accept that you are the one who was responsible. And you have to make that very clear, right? And then the redemption is that you need to do something that sort of makes amends for what you did wrong."​

You've clearly reflected. You're clearly contrite. Maybe try to do something "redemptive"? Perhaps speak to freshman coming into college? Or offer to speak high school students about the risks of cheating?

And obviously don't do anything that could get you in trouble again.

Best,
Linda
You're too kind. What I have done so far with the professor is write a "statement' basically where I've written a letter of advice to incoming students into his class telling them what I did and what they need to not do if they want to avoid ending up in my shoes. A letter to my past self if you will

Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If this were a really bad IA, you would have gotten an F for the course or been suspeneded from school. Did you intend to cheat? From what you've written, it appears that you did not intend to do so. You weren't saying to your pal, "let's split the work, you do my bio lab report and your own and I'll write our chem lab reports." You made what might be called "an honest mistake."
I do think that adcoms are likely to be merciful in these circumstances, thinking that you were just learning how to write a lab report, rather than intentionally trying to cheat.
Yeah there was no intent, but I always think I can't prove that. The professor has told me it's clear I wasn't malicious which is why I'm hoping to get a letter from them. I was given a 'deferred suspension' which is the institutional action. The grade was left up to the professor

Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you explain this well on your admission application, and have taken all the necessary steps to redemption , which you are certainly trying, this will likely not be lethal to your final application. I agree with the poster above, that you have already reflected, and you are doing all the right things.

Definitely would help, if you can demonstrate that this experience helped you to mend the ways of others by advising freshmen.
Thank you, I'm definitely coming back and re-reading this when I'm feeling overwhelmed about everything

Mar 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
think I might have replied to a similar thread on this, but had an academic IA freshman year which was more than 7 years ago at this point and am applying this cycle. Have received 15 IIs at top 20-25 schools despite this with a <3.6 gpa and 522 mcat.

as others have said you need to put as much time between this and your application as possible. You should also try to stick out in a way that’ll make adcoms say “wow, we really need to interview this person.”

in terms of the redemption aspect of things, if your school has an honor council see if you can join it and perhaps even give speeches to the college community on how you made a poor decision and it’s negative impact. I think showing an ability to be able to do something like this even though it’s not easy would show a great level of maturity and accountability. Could perhaps also consider working with the professor who caught you to see if you can get an outstanding lor from her although that’s a pretty risky scenario I suppose.

Dec 24, 2020
I started a thread on my own asking about a plagiarism IA, so I know how you are feeling when it comes to uncertainty about the future. If there’s anything I could try pitching in, it‘s that Dr. Ryan Gray from Medical School HQ has pretty good advice on how to approach red flags on the application.

Essentially, he states that being able to detail in the IA description how you’ve grown from the incident so that it will not be an issue moving forward is vital. It doesn’t seem like what you did was intentional, so you can definitely describe this as a learning experience.

I know what it’s like to have a lapse in judgment leading to a mistake. I’m just an undergrad but I feel that candor is what adcoms will look for.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.