Plan B MS at CSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W2BVet

Mizzou c/o 2013 !!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Caninerepro (or anybody) if you read this I have a few questions for ya.

So my next plan is to move to CO to do the Plan B MS, gain residency and apply to vet school at CSU. I am having no luck with my IS school so I want to start a new life plus my family lives there and would love to be with them. So my questions are: 1) I have not sent anything to the school yet...stupid I know...I know their deadline is April 1st but if there are a few things that don't reach their office until after that date will they still accept me? 2) If I miss the fall deadline do they accept students for the spring or can you only enter in the fall? 3) I know going through the MS program is no guarantee for aceptance but are there many students that go this route get accepted to CSU? If there is anything you want to add feel free..:)

I thought there was similar threads to this but I thought I'd ask again.

Thanks for any info and answering my questions!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the Plan B MS. I absolutely love it. I'm pretty sure that you can only get in starting Fall semester because we all take classes together and have comp finals at the end of May based on the classes we have to take.

I would contact Erin Bisenius ([email protected]) for more information on what they might accept after the deadline, but you've still got some time if you get it all together now. It's not a very difficult application process if you can get you LOR's together quickly. I didn't find out about it until the week before it was due, and I got it all together in time. BTW, it's due April 1 for regular admissions, but it was due Feb 15 (I think??) to receive financial aid.

I've heard that this program used to have a relatively high acceptance rate into the vet school, but that is definitely not the case anymore. I can only think of like 3 people in our program who were accepted this year. It's actually kind of sad because there were so few people who got accepted, the few who did were really quiet about mentioning it. I don't think they wanted others to feel bad, or for some people to be less than excited for them. :rolleyes: So, my point is, don't count on being accepted just because you did the program. It's definitely a great program though. I love the classes I've taken this year, and I actually think that a lot of them have really prepared me for the classes I have next year in vet school. Good luck with you app!

Hi I will second the comments just made. I know who made them, heck I t/a'd her class a few hours ago and almost dragged her off to the bar on campus between classes, until she decided to go rescue her boyfriend from his lab instead. Nice blue scrubs you were wearing today! :cool:

Anyhow, I will vouch for all the comments made, especially about trying to get into CSU. It is tough, real tough. If you have the option to establish residency in another state that has a vet school I would recommend it, seriously. CSU is really difficult to get into, as it should be as the #2 vet school in the country. The plan B will not make or break you here in Fort Collins.

That said, the Masters program here is great. While it may or may not make or break you in terms of getting in here at CSU, it will be a major boon for you where ever you do get in. It will also probably help get you in somewhere to have done this program. Both of us were accepted, out of state, but accepted this year, and I am quite sure that having done this program, and done well in it, were a factor in our success. In my case I was told so directly, off the record of course. A MS from CSU does carry some influence in the veterinary world. The classes if anything are more in depth than you will get in vet school, so once you get there you will have an easier first year if you have done the MS-B program here. Plus, graduate level courses are considered a direct reflection as to how you might do in vet school, and that is what admissions committees really want to see -- how will this applicant be able to do in our program, with our class level and course load.

The original construct of the program was built around that idea, to give wanna-be med and vet students a taste of what it is really like, and an opportunity to prove to admissions committees how they can do in a very rigorous, competitive graduate level program. Now things have evolved a bit from that original intent, and the program is used almost as much by people transitioning into PhD level work, or desiring to have a step up when applying for jobs in the biomedical field/industry, but it still also serves well for the previously mentioned purpose. I feel it has more than prepared me for vet school next year; academically, emotionally and personally. I would not trade this last year for anything. Doing the plan B was the best decision I have made in a long time, and I am ever so grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it.

As for the admissions deadline, I think there may be a little wiggle room to get every last piece in by April 1. There is still plenty of time to fill out your application, and I am sure that they will give you a few extra days for the LORs and transcripts to get there if need be. In my case I had to have one of my letters e-mailed in because the professor was on sabbatical in Thailand. That said, you do need to get it in gear, and at least let Erin know what you are doing and that things are comming, soon.
Also, if you want to have CO residency for vet school, I'd say you should fly out here and get your driver's license changed before August so you can show that you have indeed been here for a year before Aug 13, 2010.

On a personal note, I have to say that the head of the program, Mark Frasier, is probably the best (anatomy) professor I have ever met. Not so much because he knows every last branch off of the Ophthalic branch of Cranial Nerve V in any given species, but rather because he is the best TEACHER and mentor to those of us in the professional fields I have ever heard of. Do not be disillusioned because he does not possess a PhD, he did the research, and the publications, he simply decided in the end he did not want to be a researcher, and therefore never submitted his thesis. He has been voted favorite professor at CSU more times than any of us care to count, and a better mentor and advisor I can not imagine. There is a reason he writes over 200 LORs a year for us, we all love him and want him to be a part of our future success. It is the least we can do for him. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your comments!! I actually talked with Erin today!!
Thanks again!! Good luck to you both..

When you guys wrote your personal statement for the Plan B program how long was it? Is a couple of pages of why I want to go through the program, why I chose CSU, what my plans are with the MS degree, etc...
Is there a specific format or structure for the statement?
Thanks!!

I was just looking at mine. It was a page long. I actually didn't even think it was that great. It's not really the same as a vet app personal statement. I'll attach it so you can see what I put if you want.

Attachments

• CSU-Statement of Purpose.doc
    28 KB · Views: 133
Mine was about a page. But remember, half the admissions committee already knew me from classes I had taken from them, in some cases multiple classes. I just used a slightly modified version of what my DVM statement was going to be, tailored to the MS-B program.

Kai
View attachment Personal Statement for Jeffrey.doc

Mine was about a page as well. I was one of the few this year who did get into CSU as a MS B student so if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your papers! I'm glad to hear that the typical length is about a page..I have been running around like crazy trying to get all my transcripts and letters sent so I'm glad that the personal statement is something I put together in a few hours.

I just applied to the MSB program as well! My statement was a page, and I sent my transcripts and LOR last week and submitted the online app today so you still have time :)