Plan B - Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayBird1625

Illinois c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just curious as to what people have done or plan to do when/if they are rejected from vet school. I know this has been a post in the past but I just wanted to see what people are doing currently. Take a year off, grad school, internships, work, or something completely different?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to MFA (Masters in Fine Arts) programs in Creative Writing. If I don't get into vet school this cycle I will hopefully get into one of those. And meanwhile work on gettting more experience to improve my application.

Reactions: 1 users
I went through all of this last year - I was only accepted to a Caribbean school, and I really didn't want to go, so I applied to a one-year graduate program at Harvard and got in. I'm really happy with my decision. However, I'm getting really nervous this time around; I've only heard back from one school and was waitlisted, so now I'm starting to think about back up plans AGAIN. This time I'd get a job in the field of my masters degree, and I'm not really sure if I would reapply to vet school next year...I'm getting tired of asking people for letters of recommendation for everything...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm congruently applying to the Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology PhD program this year at CSU (where I really want to go, I am IS). I applied to their dual program this year and have yet to hear back so I figured I may have to do the degrees separate.

I plan on working for a year, then applying to both vet school and a Masters program in reproductive physiology. I'm with Tori, I hate asking people over and over for LORs.

Just throwing it out there because all the previous posters talked about other grad programs. You don't have to do that. Truthfully, I wouldn't think you'd want to unless it's something you actually want to do and not just for building your application. Nothing wrong with taking a year to work and/or (re)take undergraduate classes if you want to up your GPA.

Just throwing it out there because all the previous posters talked about other grad programs. You don't have to do that. Truthfully, I wouldn't think you'd want to unless it's something you actually want to do and not just for building your application. Nothing wrong with taking a year to work and/or (re)take undergraduate classes if you want to up your GPA.
I actually do have to stay in school or I lose out on my educational benefits from the government. I think everyone who mentioned graduate programs also mentioned that it is something they actually want to do, not just for application purposes :) Lord knows an MFA won't do anything for my vet school application.

I'm highly interested in pursuing theriogenology post-DVM, so if I get into a repro physio program I'd still be happy.

I actually do have to stay in school or I lose out on my educational benefits from the government. I think everyone who mentioned graduate programs also mentioned that it is something they actually want to do, not just for application purposes :) Lord knows an MFA won't do anything for my vet school application.

Oh I know WZ. That wasn't directed against anyone posting here, just a general statement I thought was applicable because, "should I do a Masters if I don't get into vet school?" is a pretty common question people ask. And I don't think anyone should unless they wanted to study that topic anyway.

If I fail to graduate vet school I will change my identity, go into hiding, steal a yacht and live in the middle of the ocean somewhere where the evil loan people can't find me... :ninja:

Reactions: 11 users
If I fail to graduate vet school I will change my identity, go into hiding, steal a yacht and live in the middle of the ocean somewhere where the evil loan people can't find me... :ninja:

And train dragons.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I was kind of researching and saw that OSU offered a MPH with an emphasis on veterinary science and if you get into OSU vet school the next cycle you can just do a dual program. Does anyone have any experience with their masters program? It sounds super interesting but I'm on the fence about it because I would almost rather take the year off and build my experience but I'm afraid of not being able to defer my loans for some reason

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was kind of researching and saw that OSU offered a MPH with an emphasis on veterinary science and if you get into OSU vet school the next cycle you can just do a dual program. Does anyone have any experience with their masters program? It sounds super interesting but I'm on the fence about it because I would almost rather take the year off and build my experience but I'm afraid of not being able to defer my loans for some reason

I have such experience.

I like the program overall. It's a public health degree though so while there are courses in the veterinary specialization, there are equally as many courses that are non-vet related. You do get to tailor the degree to some extent with your electives which I have done extensively (because I'm taking my sweet ass time and not going dual-degree). If you have a genuine interest in public health and not just veterinary topics, it would probably suit you. If you don't have an interest in general public health topics and have a much stronger interest in the veterinary sciences, there are better MS programs through OSU's vet school that would be more worthwhile. MPH's are kind of trendy right now among vet students so there is competition for the program and people do get rejected (i.e. you'll have to prove your interest).

If you'd like to know anything else, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user

I feel like "fake my own death" should be part of that plan.

Honestly, I'll just move out to Oregon with my boyfriend and become a resident

I'm planning on taking the year off of school and just working various jobs for experience. I will continue you my job as a lab animal tech and probably continue researching sea turtle nesting next summer. But then I might try and get a part time job at a small animal clinic or go for a few veterinary internships, and possibly do some nesting research down in Brazil next winter.

I went through all of this last year - I was only accepted to a Caribbean school, and I really didn't want to go, so I applied to a one-year graduate program at Harvard and got in. I'm really happy with my decision. However, I'm getting really nervous this time around; I've only heard back from one school and was waitlisted, so now I'm starting to think about back up plans AGAIN. This time I'd get a job in the field of my masters degree, and I'm not really sure if I would reapply to vet school next year...I'm getting tired of asking people for letters of recommendation for everything...

Just curious, what one year program did you do?
And is the masters degree from previous schooling because I believe the one year programs are non-degree only unless I am wrong?

During the year between my first application cycle and acceptance, I got a job as a zookeeper. Initially I was beyond bummed that I didn't get to start with the c/o 2016, but in retrospect, I would never trade that year of zoo experience for graduating a year earlier. In fact, I'm still kinda sad that I had to quit to start school. Although that is generally restricted to when the weather is nice. When it's bitterly cold or brutally hot, I'm not quite as devastated that I get to spend most of the day in a temperature-controlled classroom instead of being out in the elements. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
During the year between my first application cycle and acceptance, I got a job as a zookeeper. Initially I was beyond bummed that I didn't get to start with the c/o 2016, but in retrospect, I would never trade that year of zoo experience for graduating a year earlier. In fact, I'm still kinda sad that I had to quit to start school. Although that is generally restricted to when the weather is nice. When it's bitterly cold or brutally hot, I'm not quite as devastated that I get to spend most of the day in a temperature-controlled classroom instead of being out in the elements. ;)
That is a really awesome experience to have!

That is a really awesome experience to have!

It really was. I still miss it a lot. I thought before I started the job that it would be amazing, and by the end of my first day it had surpassed even those expectations.

In addition to gaining experience working with the animals in my department, I also made connections with the zoo's vet and other keepers (both at my zoo and nationwide). I might not have those connections if I'd been accepted/started vet school with my first application. Bottom line is that I was forced (however painfully at first) to realize how much of an opportunity a year can be, and that a rejection can be a blessing in disguise.

It really was. I still miss it a lot. I thought before I started the job that it would be amazing, and by the end of my first day it had surpassed even those expectations.

In addition to gaining experience working with those animals, I also made connections with the zoo's vet and other keepers (both at my zoo and nationwide). I might not have those connections if I'd been accepted/started vet school with my first application. Bottom line is that I was forced (however painfully at first) to realize how much of an opportunity a year can be, and that a rejection can be a blessing in disguise.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of training/schooling did you have to have to become a zookeeper?

Just curious, what one year program did you do?
And is the masters degree from previous schooling because I believe the one year programs are non-degree only unless I am wrong?

It's one year because they fit two years of course material into one, and I'll be getting an Ed.M. from the Harvard Graduate School of Education in informal science education (zoos/museums/medicine) when I'm done.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of training/schooling did you have to have to become a zookeeper?

Other than sheer luck and enthusiasm? :D When I applied, I'd just graduated with a BA in biology. I had about 1.5 years experience as a volunteer keeper at a big cat sanctuary, and around 10 years on and off as a small animal/pet exotics vet tech (not licensed). The keeper job was as a primate keeper, and I'd never worked with non-human primates before. Honestly I'm still not sure how I ended up getting hired. During my interview I was asked if I had any primate experience, and my lame answer was "...Um, you mean other than people? Nothing, but I'm willing to try."

From what I've learned since, it's actually fairly common for keepers to start off as volunteers at zoos/aquariums or exotics rescues, and many do have degrees in biology or zoology. If I'd known that at the time, maybe I'd have had more confidence during my interview. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Other than sheer luck and enthusiasm? :D When I applied, I'd just graduated with a BA in biology. I had about 1.5 years experience as a volunteer keeper at a big cat sanctuary, and around 10 years on and off as a small animal/pet exotics vet tech (not licensed). The keeper job was as a primate keeper, and I'd never worked with non-human primates before. Honestly I'm still not sure how I ended up getting hired. During my interview I was asked if I had any primate experience, and my lame answer was "...Um, you mean other than people? Nothing, but I'm willing to try."

From what I've learned since, it's actually fairly common for keepers to start off as volunteers at zoos/aquariums or exotics rescues, and many do have degrees in biology or zoology. If I'd known that at the time, maybe I'd have had more confidence during my interview. ;)
That's awesome, and something I didn't know. And also very exciting. I now have another backup plan!

Just chiming in to say that I noticed similarities at the zoo I interned at. I think most people just had a BS in a biology/zoology related field and interviewed for the job at the right time. I think a few have pursued a masters in addition to that, but I don't think many had.

Now I miss my penguins. =( They have a brand new fancy exhibit too that I need to go back and see.

What is everyone's opinion of how vet schools will view a job working in wildlife or nature conservation but not working directly with animals?

What is everyone's opinion of how vet schools will view a job working in wildlife or nature conservation but not working directly with animals?

I can maybe help with your question if you're a bit more specific about what the job is. I worked at a nature center over the summer as an educator, it involved animals some of the time, but it wasn't the biggest part of the job, and when I told some schools in my file review about it, they liked the experience.

Yeah jobs like that, or jobs that maintain a nature preserve (similar to a laborer i.e maintains trails etc) or that research invasive species control (plant or animal). Basically jobs that you could expect somebody with a zoology degree with an interest in wildlife conservation, ecology, environmental biology, etc would apply for.

Yeah jobs like that, or jobs that maintain a nature preserve (similar to a laborer i.e maintains trails etc) or that research invasive species control (plant or animal). Basically jobs that you could expect somebody with a zoology degree with an interest in wildlife conservation, ecology, environmental biology, etc would apply for.

Vet schools would definitely be interested in that, and they really do like unique experiences! It may not count for "animal hours" depending on the job, but it could go to the research portion of the app or overall job experience, which they DO like to see to prove that you are a whole person haha. Also, if this is something you would really pursue before reapplying (if it comes to that!), then you can write about it in your personal statement and how it was a part of your journey / how it does relate to your passion for animals - they love that. I did that with my personal statement even the first time around, connecting my jobs in education to my vet experiences, and during the file reviews they said they loved it.

Yeah I have assisted on a research project looking into heavy metal contamination in small mammals and I am conducting my own research project/ working towards publication on the identification and description of a new species of Guerrerostrongylus ( a trichostrongylid parasite found in arboreal rodents in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and French Guiana). So I have built up a little bit of a rapport in research and figured I could more easily land a job in research

Just chiming in to say that I noticed similarities at the zoo I interned at. I think most people just had a BS in a biology/zoology related field and interviewed for the job at the right time. I think a few have pursued a masters in addition to that, but I don't think many had.

Now I miss my penguins. =( They have a brand new fancy exhibit too that I need to go back and see.

Agree 100%. I used the intern/ volunteer method to get into the field. An aquarium I interned at in college hired me on as first an assistant and later as a full time biologist. At the time, I had a B.S degree like the huge majority of my coworkers. The zoo/ aquarium field seems to be a very tight knit, contact based field so volunteering or doing an internship at a facility that interests you is definitely a good way to get your foot in the door!

Just wanted to throw out another PLAN B option! Check out St. Matthews University in Grand Cayman. They have rolling admissions and classes start 3 times/year. I love the small class sizes, personalized attention, and the fact I get done with vet school early. If anyone has questions, feel free to reply or email me ([email protected]).

Just wanted to throw out another PLAN B option! Check out St. Matthews University in Grand Cayman. They have rolling admissions and classes start 3 times/year. I love the small class sizes, personalized attention, and the fact I get done with vet school early. If anyone has questions, feel free to reply or email me ([email protected]).

Haha that would be nice. I had been considering schools outside of the US but that was before my animals. I was going to apply to a New Zealand school but they don't allow ferrets and I have 3! But now I also have a dog and it would just be a pain in the tookus to move all of them over.

Are they paying you to recruit people or something?

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I saw all of that and thought the same thing myself. I was being jokingly sarcastic in a real way if that makes any sense whatsoever haha

I figured that for more of a joking sarcasm :highfive:

I chickened out of applying last year (my senior year) and took this year off to do research. But my fellowship ends next year so I can't stick around in this job. This fall, I ended up applying to 4 DVM programs...and 10 PhD programs. How's that for desperation?

Anyway, most of the current vet students I've met took a year or three off to do research before getting in to vet school. Seems to be a pretty effective strategy, if my sample size of like 5 counts for anything.

Haha that would be nice. I had been considering schools outside of the US but that was before my animals. I was going to apply to a New Zealand school but they don't allow ferrets and I have 3! But now I also have a dog and it would just be a pain in the tookus to move all of them over.
I totally understand that. We had to figure out what to do with our menagerie too. We ended up bringing up (2) dogs and cat with us, I'm not sure what Cayman's policy on ferrets but I think they sell them.

Are they paying you to recruit people or something?
It would be great to get paid instead of paying for vet school, but No I am not a professional recruiter I'm a student. As someone who who been in your shoes, I was trying to provide another option. A lot of people aren't aware that SMU is an option and they provide a much different environment than what you might experience at another popular island school. If you're not interested, that's fine.

I applied in two different cycles. I got in on my first in a US school, completed two years before I had my daughter and took time off. I wanted to return to school without repeating pre-reqs/GRE/ etc and I became aware of SMU. I'd be happy to share on either one of my experiences.

It does read a bit like a sales pitch...and especially since she started a thread about it too and didn't mention it isn't AVMA accredited...
Wasn't hiding it, just didn't want to overwhelm the thread if no one was interested. Not accredited at the moment, but there are other island schools that only received accreditation a few years ago. We are recognized by AVMA.

It would be great to get paid instead of paying for vet school, but No I am not a professional recruiter I'm a student. As someone who who been in your shoes, I was trying to provide another option. A lot of people aren't aware that SMU is an option and they provide a much different environment than what you might experience at another popular island school. If you're not interested, that's fine.

I applied in two different cycles. I got in on my first in a US school, completed two years before I had my daughter and took time off. I wanted to return to school without repeating pre-reqs/GRE/ etc and I became aware of SMU. I'd be happy to share on either one of my experiences.

I'm already half way through third year... don't need info on SMU. Nor would I suggest it to anyone at this point as a school to apply to. You are free to disagree but with how expensive vet school already is and the horrific passing rates on the PAVE and ECFVG I would highly recommend people focus on making their application better to get in somewhere that is accredited. To each their own though.

I'm already half way through third year... don't need info on SMU. Nor would I suggest it to anyone at this point as a school to apply to. You are free to disagree but with how expensive vet school already is and the horrific passing rates on the PAVE and ECFVG I would highly recommend people focus on making their application better to get in somewhere that is accredited. To each their own though.

Congrats on your success thus far. Could you please let met know where you are getting your information? Our last class that took the PAVE had 100% pass rate. I couldn't speak to the ECFVG as most students take PAVE and NAVLE instead, but I could try to find out if you'd like. I would recommend looking at accredited schools as well as they are the easiest path to a DVM. But accreditation doesn't always mean a quality education or environment conducive to a particular student's learning style. Again, just putting an 'plan B" option out there.

Congrats on your success thus far. Could you please let met know where you are getting your information? Our last class that took the PAVE had 100% pass rate. I couldn't speak to the ECFVG as most students take PAVE and NAVLE instead, but I could try to find out if you'd like. I would recommend looking at accredited schools as well as they are the easiest path to a DVM. But accreditation doesn't always mean a quality education or environment conducive to a particular student's learning style. Again, just putting an 'plan B" option out there.

PAVE is not accepted by all states. Here is a link to a document showing the "failure rate" of the QE (only one part of PAVE):

http://www.nbvme.org/image/cache/QE_tech_report_2013-14.pdf