Plan B - which is the better way to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenicopter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

As March is creeping up, I'm realizing that it's not likely I will be enrolling in a PhD program this year. I've had a few interviews and I'm wait listed for a couple schools, but I'm not overly optimistic. I was told by one interviewer that my biggest setback is that I don't have enough experience, particularly in analyzing research data. (I already have 2+ years research experience, but it was a pretty large study and I was more involved in clinic coordination and less so in data interpretation.) She recommended I either take some courses or get into a lab that will allow me to be more hands on.

So I'm essentially trying to figure out the best option to help me in next application cycle. I have two choices:

Begin one or two (unpaid) Research Assistantships at my local UC, while also taking some graduate level courses through their extension program.

OR

I was offered a job at an all girls Residential Treatment Program. I would be involved in therapy sessions and be part of the clinical team, and I was also asked to essentially help set up a study analyzing the outcome data of the graduated girls and essentially assess the efficacy of the program. The school is located in a very rural area, so I was thinking I could also take some courses online.

Now I know what I want to do. I think the boarding school would be an amazing, unique, and rewarding experience. However, I don't really know the first thing about setting up a study in a non-academic setting and I'm not even sure if it would be considered legitimate research. I also don't really know how much weight online courses are given, as opposed to courses from a school with a top tier grad program.

My top priority right now is trying to become the best PhD candidate I can be. So purely from a standpoint of admissions, what do you think the best option is?
Is it better to go the traditional RA route?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A big consideration is your future research and career goals and what type of PhD program you want to go to. Could you elaborate a little? How would each of these experiences tie in?

For example, if you are interested in research on more severely ill adolescents, that job could be great. Our treatment outcome research. Also it sounds like there is some room for creativity and to demonstrate you are a self-starter with the outcome data piece.

On the other hand, would your unpaid RA gig fit with your research interests?

Best,
Dr. E

A big consideration is your future research and career goals and what type of PhD program you want to go to. Could you elaborate a little? How would each of these experiences tie in?

For example, if you are interested in research on more severely ill adolescents, that job could be great. Our treatment outcome research. Also it sounds like there is some room for creativity and to demonstrate you are a self-starter with the outcome data piece.

On the other hand, would your unpaid RA gig fit with your research interests?

Best,
Dr. E

I'm mainly interested in researching the diagnosis and treatment of anxiety and trauma based disorders in adolescents. I'm interested in research ultimately effecting public/social policy, so I'm mainly interested in schools that offer dual PhD/MPH or PhD/JD degrees.

One RA position explores the cognitive traits that contribute to the development of anxiety disorders. The other research is more socially based and looks at cross-cultural differences that may worsen anxiety or inhibit treatment.

I hope that was clear. :) This round of interviews has caused me to reexamine my goals and shift my focus a little. The RA gigs would fit in well with my interests, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm mainly interested in researching the diagnosis and treatment of anxiety and trauma based disorders in adolescents. I'm interested in research ultimately effecting public/social policy, so I'm mainly interested in schools that offer dual PhD/MPH or PhD/JD degrees.

One RA position explores the cognitive traits that contribute to the development of anxiety disorders. The other research is more socially based and looks at cross-cultural differences that may worsen anxiety or inhibit treatment.

I hope that was clear. :) This round of interviews has caused me to reexamine my goals and shift my focus a little. The RA gigs would fit in well with my interests, I think.

Hmmmm.....any way to build the public policy aspects of your application? Or any way that either of the opportunities could lead to public policy experiences?

Dr. E

I say go with the residential program. Do what you want to do! You can always spin it and portray different things you have learned as a residential therapist. If you are currently involved in a research lab, maybe you can still stay involved with them somehow.