Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegame2388

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I figured, say...if I don't have a high enough GPA by the end of my junior year (the time to apply), I could possibly apply the year AFTER (May of Senior year).

And you might ask, well wtf are you gonna do for that year off?

Well I figured I could minor in political science (only 7 courses) and then see where that takes me. Of course (those 7 courses would NOT factor into my GPA) so they'd be pointless.

Do you guys have any other pointers? Maybe, if I knew I wasn't gonna get in Junior year, I'd purposely delay my senior year courses to my 5th year and take the POLI SCI stuff 4th year, and take the 4th year stuff during my 5TH year (which includes physics and french)

Members don't see this ad.

I think I get what you are saying. I don't know how those Poli Sci courses will benefit you other than having a minor though. Why not retake any courses you did poorly in during that time? Then retake the DAT and you will likely do better due to a better understanding. Let me know if that made any sense, b/c I'm not sure I get what you are saying.

So I figured, say...if I don't have a high enough GPA by the end of my junior year (the time to apply), I could possibly apply the year AFTER (May of Senior year).

And you might ask, well wtf are you gonna do for that year off?

Well I figured I could minor in political science (only 7 courses) and then see where that takes me. Of course (those 7 courses would NOT factor into my GPA) so they'd be pointless.

Do you guys have any other pointers? Maybe, if I knew I wasn't gonna get in Junior year, I'd purposely delay my senior year courses to my 5th year and take the POLI SCI stuff 4th year, and take the 4th year stuff during my 5TH year (which includes physics and french)

The poli sci classes should factor into your cumulative GPA, just not your science GPA. I would say first try to improve your science GPA by taking upper level classes, but also incorporate some poli sci classes if you want too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know, why don't people like retaking courses they did poorly in? If you did poorly in those courses, you will struggle will likely struggle with the DAT. It just makes sense to me to retake those courses, retake the DAT and if need be, take some upper level courses or a masters. But that would be my plan C. Why don't people like to do that?

why not work in a dental office to get experience? you'd be making money and you'd be getting experience and a strong foundation for your letter of rec. n as for classes, you could take some other recommended classes at nite or something after work.

Let me break it down:

1st yr: DONE
2nd yr: Where I am now
3rd yr: apply to d school (if accepted, im set, if not, see yr 4)
4th yr: finish my senior yr courses (also reapply)
5th yr: poli sci minor courses + science courses (that WILL NOT be factored into GPA because it will be after i apply to dschool...unless theres something im missing)

wear a rubber and you'll never have to worry about plan b

Okay seriously...someone please respond to my latest post ^

why don't you minor in business instead.. it'll probably more beneficial and look better as part of being a dentist is running a business.

I know but can we all agree that the courses would NOT count into my GPA (since they were taken after I would have applied)?

I'd take more science classes. They will help you alot in dental school. Dont do a masters in something you wouldn't enjoy. And a minor is so worthless. Like you said....7 units and you got it...doesn't show much.

Plus, you'll raise your GPA and prove to school's you are committed.

Getting accepted isn't a confusing process. You have to show commitment to dentistry and the ability to graduate from dental school. So....shadowing and good grades/scores in general. That is it! And if you're a likable person on top of that, then great. Or if you're hot, forget everything and just apply.

And yes, wear a rubber.

you gotta stand out above the crowd! Even if I gotta shout out loud! (someone guess the movie)

I applied after senior year, and im working full time and doing work in a dental lab.

The only benefit of applying senior yr is that your senior year grades would be counted...not your 5th year grades.

Let me break it down:

1st yr: DONE
2nd yr: Where I am now
3rd yr: apply to d school (if accepted, im set, if not, see yr 4)

Getting accepted after yr 3 will be very hard because you are competing with people that have degrees (including PhD.s) So unless you got near a 4.00 and at least a 25 DAT, don't waste your time.

4th yr: finish my senior yr courses (also reapply)
5th yr: poli sci minor courses + science courses (that WILL NOT be factored into GPA because it will be after i apply to dschool...unless theres something im missing)
Go ahead and get your minor if you want, but you need to do a lot more than that. Get shadowing experience, etc.

It seems like you're trying to avoid taking physics until after you've applied to avoid it factoring into your science gpa.

No offense, but I think that if you really want to be a dentist, you should be able to handle the advanced sciences and really try to raise your gpa w/science classes. Also, if you're not taking key pre-reqs, some d-schools will scrutinize that.

Are you adding the poli sci because you're interested in it or just to kill time? Minors aren't that important in applying.

Sorry if this was harsh, but if you're serious about dental, get focused and you can do it! Throw some dental assisting in when you find the time.

I say don't rush it, finish year three and year four then apply. Like every one said upper-level science courses with great marks and plus you would have an upward trend.

what will a minor in poli science get you?

you're only a sophomore.. why are you thinking so far ahead? work your butt off this year and next year to bring up your gpa and study for the DAT. Work to get solid stats, do some research/extracurriculars in your extra time, and apply after third year.
if you think your gpa's not good enough why are you even thinking of applying during your third year? that's a waste of your time and money.

Last edited:
Yeah, why do we have to speculate about something that may or may not happen two years from now? How about you just keep going with plan A and when/if that doesn't work out you can dig up this thread?