Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrtsurgeon2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you are applying and have yet to hear anything, what are you considering to do in case you do not get in?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you are applying and have yet to hear anything, what are you considering to do in case you do not get in? ••

I would take the MCAT again (ughhh). I feel that it is the weakest part of my application. After taking the MCAT, I would once again reapply. I cannot imagine being anything but a physician, so I would relive the torment of writing lots of secondary essays and the pain of seeing my bank account dwindle away! :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I did get in this year, but next spring will still be spent hunkered over MCAT prep books helping a friend who did really bad in Verbal this year. I just hate to see such a nice guy not get in, so I'm going to work him until he has to do well. :)

Hi Jamier2,
That is really great of you to help your friend out. :) I am sure that your freind will definitely make it in with their persistence and your assistance! :)

Jamie.. :sob: that really is touching...tis the season of giving. I just don't know anybody who would sit there and make me pratice VERBAL of all things.aleast I like sciences better.

Kudos to ya...You'll get an extra present from Santa tomorrow! :D :D :D

Well, I can only hope I get in this year. The process seems to be slowly progressing, so I am not going to get too worried. I have received my third invite for an interview, so I am beginning to feel hopeful. I can only say that you should try not to let the silence get you down. I keep reminding myself that I have not received any rejections, so I still must be lost in the pile.
Hang in there
Rob :)

My comment is, and please feel free to challenge me if you think me wrong, that there should never be a "plan B". If being a physician is what you truly want, as most of us do, then no amount of time or dejection can deter us from our goals. It is a career goal, a lifelong decision. For those who feel that they would pursue a PhD or other avenues if they don't get accepted this year, don't be deterred. The formulation of an alternative plan speaks volumes about one's desire to truly be a physician, or rather, the lack of one's desire......think of that, for those who are considering it.

I want to be a doctor more than anything else! I will keep trying until I get in and once I do, I will work my tail off to become the best doctor that I can be!

I have been joking that if I get rejected I'll become a plumber but thats just a way to dodge the question..I am hoping I do get in. I have had 3 interviews and one more scheduled and kept telling myself to be glad I didnt get a rejection. but now that i have a rejection, i'm getting scared..but still shying away from the plan b question..but if there had to be a plan B, it would be an interim plan B til I apply again! But I hope to God that I don't have to face AMCAS again!

Joseph, don't you think maybe you should slow down a second. I do not recall anybody mentioning they were changing their career plans. I believe the original statement was what to do in the immediate future to help or facilitate plans for getting in next year. You are absolutely correct that not getting in should not deter those with a true desire for medicine. However, if one is detered by not getting in the first time, they would certainly fail along the way. It would be better to lose them now than while in a spot in a program.
Rob

actually, i think Joseph had a valid point. The original question, as posed by the beautiful and talented hrtsurgeon2be was: "For those of you are applying and have yet to hear anything, what are you considering to do in case you do not get in?"

It looks like the surgeon was asking about alternate plans, not interim, alternate plans until you apply again. Plan B means a different plan, it means no longer following Plan A. Otherwise The Surgeon would have mentioned applying again.

So i think Joseph's words were definitely appropriate, and I agree with him. He was talking to the people who love medicine like nothing else, and would be happiest practicing medicine. He was telling them to not be afraid to get back on the horse. To those of us that are shot down this time...let's dust ourselves off and try again..dust ourselves off and try again.... :)

Quick short story: when I went to my premed advisor about which Biochem series to take, and after taking one look at my grades, she kept trying to convince me to take the one for research PhD school. Why? "Just so it can come handy in case you don't get in." I told her point blank that I haven't thought of "in case..." and will never think of an alternate career besides medicine...cut the conversation short (nicely)...and left. I was so turned off by the reply, I decided never to go to that advisor again. Eventually I took the series which she didn't want me to take, and excelled in it. Anyway, the gist of this story is not about bad advisors....it's about knowing what you want, and doing whatever it takes, and waiting however long it may take to achieve that. In my naive opinion, having plan B only forces one to admit defeat before it's even begun!
Just my 2 cents.

The question was meant to ask what will you do until you apply again, not alternate career plans! Sorry for the confusion.

well darn it hrtsurgeon, you confused me pretty good. I guess if you mean what will I do between now and my next application (if I have to)...then the answer is, I'll probably just apply to St. George's and start in Fall '01 anyway. I'm not waiting another year for some punkass committees to tell me I will do well in medical school. I suppose it would be cool to teach high school biology for a year while I wait...but i'd still be waiting...and I WAIT FOR NO MAN. pudum pum.

Just a quick story to add to the inspiration:
I have a friend (actually a foreign student who went to a small town usa college) who applied twice to something like 40+ medschools. He was rejected by each one with his meager 3.7 and 30 mcat. So he applied to medschool in Ireland and studied there for two years before tranferring to pritzker. He would say It's all about how badly you want it, and I think that's true. Keep it up! :)

Even though this is talking about the year before I would reapply if I didn't get in, I like the other thread better. If I couldn't be a doctor I would try and be and Army Ranger.