Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el6in

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in college but frankly I feel like I don't have the gpa to get accepted into physical therapy school right after I graduate. I also don't think I can afford PT school right now. Does anybody know of any good therapy related health care professions (or health care professions in general) I can go into with my kinesiology bachelor's degree. I am already a certified personal trainer and a physical therapy aide but I am looking for a full time career (with somewhat good pay) to temporarily go into as I retake my prereq's. I thought about being an exercise physiologist or a kinesiotherapist but I heard they have a hard time finding and keeping jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Occupational Therapy is the same flavor as Physical Therapy. The requirements are much lower than physical therapy and the courses are much cheaper.

If you're going for a graduate degree, you're going to have to go into debt. There is no way around that unless you have family who are paying for you. Between tuition and living expenses, pretty much everyone takes out a loan. The idea is to look at the bigger picture and understand that ~$60k in debt is not major considering what you will make when you graduate.

Health related degrees are completely different than going $100k in debt for a B.A. and M.A. in art, which is completely useless. They only go up in demand as the population increases and you can't completely outsource them.

Unless you can manage to get a job at a major high profile gym, you'll make just enough to starve as a personal trainer. You don't want to be 30 years old making $8 an hour.

With that said, what exactly are your stats? There are lots of people here that have been accepted with ~3.0 cumulative GPAs. As long as you're above 3.0, there is hope.

The average GPA at the majority of schools ranges between 3.4 and 3.6. Meaning there are people much higher and much lower than that.

I have a relatively low Cumulative GPA at 3.46, but my pre req GPA will be 4.0 and my GRE scores are around the 85th percentile. I thought it was horrible due to the low cumulative gpa, but people are actually telling me it very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.0 cumulative gpa but I got a C minus in Physics 2 & Chemistry 2 and I haven't taken the GRE yet. I plan on applying to the UCF and FAMU dpt programs. I thought about occupational therapy but I am pretty much sold on physical therapy right now (even though I have also strongly considered being an orthopedic PA).

I have also strongly considered being an orthopedic PA).
PAs don't have official specializations. Are you talking about USA's OPA master's program?