Planning a brown wedding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's multiple wedding prep threads but considering brown people have 100x more events for their weddings, my fiance and I are in a bind.
We're in our first yr of school atm and are trying to figure out when to get hitched. We can't seem to figure it out. This summer is out of the question but the way it's looking, it seems as if there's no time until after 4th year?
Does anyone have any input? We don't want to wait that long if we can help it, obviously.
thx

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to line up a vacation block together during third / fourth year, although the summer during / after Step 1 is bad because you'll both be under a lot of stress studying, and you don't want the added stress of planning a huge wedding on top of that. I'd shoot for the first block of fourth year. Or winter break second year.

You should be able to line up a vacation block together during third / fourth year, although the summer during / after Step 1 is bad because you'll both be under a lot of stress studying, and you don't want the added stress of planning a huge wedding on top of that. I'd shoot for the first block of fourth year. Or winter break second year.

Ideally, if we could find a way to line up a vacation block, that's what we'd want to do. We weren't aware that was even an option...do you know how that would work? We both go to the same school and we're most likely going to be able to do rotations together at the same location.

I figured that the 'vacation' block 4th year was for doing away rotations and scheduling residency interviews? I'm a noob at all this, I'll admit it, and figuring out wedding planning with all these logistics is starting to drive me crazy.

We really don't want to do summer of 2nd year--it'll be unfeasible with Ramadan starting less than 5 days after our COMLEX deadline. Winter break seems way too soon to plan...that's giving us 9 months but there's a few kinks that need to be worked out so we would have less time than that to figure out wedding prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people that got married right at the end of finals first year, right before boards studying begins in second year. You can always do it during a vacation month fourth year.

Final advice: Do not schedule a red wedding, Game of Thrones style.

Reactions: 1 users
I know people that got married right at the end of finals first year, right before boards studying begins in second year. You can always do it during a vacation month fourth year.

4th year vacation sounds good but how does that work with scheduling interviews and all that?

I'll keep your final piece of advice in mind :D

Why doesn't end of 1st year work? Just rush things together and get it over with, your family won't expect as much and it'll cost less. Plus since you are both in med school, you won't be looked down upon for this since everyone knows you are too busy to do it at any other time.

Why doesn't end of 1st year work? Just rush things together and get it over with, your family won't expect as much and it'll cost less. Plus since you are both in med school, you won't be looked down upon for this since everyone knows you are too busy to do it at any other time.

Some of our family that absolutely has to be at the wedding can't be there this summer at all. Plus, that requires us to have everything done in 2-3 months from now which isn't feasible at all.
We're looking at :

December of 2nd year (less than a year away but it gives us time for all our events)
Summer before rotations (will be stressful/rushed because of boards/rotations)
after graduation (in 3+ years)

apparently 4th year/3rd year IS an option according to some of the other posters?

For most schools, during 4th year you do not have 52 weeks of rotations to complete. At my school we have 40 weeks required. That leaves 12 weeks of vacation, and most people use ~1 month off to study for Level 2 and other weeks to piece together rotations / take off for holidays / get married / conquer Westeros / travel before residency.

The only problem I foresee is that you may not know how your 4th year schedule will shake out until spring / summer of 3rd year (once you schedule auditions and such) ...but if you just set aside a time and stick to it you should be fine.

For most schools, during 4th year you do not have 52 weeks of rotations to complete. At my school we have 40 weeks required. That leaves 12 weeks of vacation, and most people use ~1 month off to study for Level 2 and other weeks to piece together rotations / take off for holidays / get married / conquer Westeros / travel before residency.

The only problem I foresee is that you may not know how your 4th year schedule will shake out until spring / summer of 3rd year (once you schedule auditions and such) ...but if you just set aside a time and stick to it you should be fine.

just looked at my school's clinical schedule and it looks like we have 9 months of rotations 4th year with 1 month of vacation...hmmm...

Usually you need to be done with all requirements by early June to graduate. I'm sure each school has a slightly different policy. You are generally considered to be a 4th year once you've completed all the rotation requirements for 3rd year. This could be as early as May or June of your 3rd year. So say you start 4th year in mid- to late-June and have ~11 months to complete 9 month-long blocks of requirements. Surely you can fit a wedding in there somewhere : )

I agree though with cbrons that you should just make it happen next summer.

Usually you need to be done with all requirements by early June to graduate. I'm sure each school has a slightly different policy. You are generally considered to be a 4th year once you've completed all the rotation requirements for 3rd year. This could be as early as May or June of your 3rd year. So say you start 4th year in mid- to late-June and have ~11 months to complete 9 month-long blocks of requirements. Surely you can fit a wedding in there somewhere : )

I agree though with cbrons that you should just make it happen next summer.

haha summer after 1st year would be this summer...so in a couple of months for us. While that would be ideal, there's a lot of cultural formalities that have to take place before we officially start prepping / could have a wedding so may-july of this year wouldn't work.

I'll have to check the specifics about how our 3rd/4th year is split up...hopefully it works out! :)

thank you!

My first thought on reading the thread title.
tumblr_inline_mor1h7S6VT1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Also, not sure if you are the bride or groom or whatever, but don't let this wedding planning get too insane. If it starts feeling like an episode of the TV show Bridezillas, it's time to stop and re-evaluate. Remember the wedding is like 4 hours (longer for you since it's an Indian wedding) but the marriage part is supposed to be a lifetime (about 50 years).

Marriage >>>>>>> Wedding

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, not sure if you are the bride or groom or whatever, but don't let this wedding planning get too insane. If it starts feeling like an episode of the TV show Bridezillas, it's time to stop and re-evaluate. Remember the wedding is like 4 hours (longer for you since it's an Indian wedding) but the marriage part is supposed to be a lifetime (about 50 years).

Marriage >>>>>>> Wedding

I'm the bride and I'm definitely a control freak, so this is going to be difficult!

Hah in the same bind OP but this will be a Brown to Arab wedding.

We are thinking of shooting for this December or next summer. Tricky stuff.

Tell me about it! If it was just one day, it'd be do-able but with 5-6 events, we have to find enough time.

What about winter break 2nd year? Know an Indian couple that got married then. It's about 2 weeks +/- depending on your school.

I'm the bride and I'm definitely a control freak, so this is going to be difficult!
A stressful wedding can be the catalyst for a swift divorce. Remember that it's just a day, and one you'll probably not think all that much about in five or ten years. It'll be overshadowed by many events, such as the birth of your first child and possibly you and your husband's graduations from medical school.

A stressful wedding can be the catalyst for a swift divorce. Remember that it's just a day, and one you'll probably not think all that much about in five or ten years. It'll be overshadowed by many events, such as the birth of your first child and possibly you and your husband's graduations from medical school.

you're right! I'm trying to keep the big picture in mind! :D Thanks!

What about winter break 2nd year? Know an Indian couple that got married then. It's about 2 weeks +/- depending on your school.

I think that's most likely what we'll have to do but the only problem is that with so many events, you have to have venues/clothes/etc for each of those days. It's getting pretty close to the wire since we have 9 months left and I still can't officially start planning (booking a venue) until some cultural formality stuff is taken care of, unfortunately. I've thought about hiring a wedding planner (though I have to find one in the budget) so I'm hoping that that'll make finding a venue during Xmas time --when most people I know get married--a little easier.

Here are some safety tips from the CDC on staying safe during the wedding process:

http://www.cdc.gov/women/wedding/

Really appreciate the "Style With Care" section. Thank you for caring about me, CDC.

Reactions: 1 user