Planning for next summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently spent 2 months in Ecuador this summer doing a research project and wanted to go back this summer of 2003 to continue my research. However, I am currently in my 3rd year and was thinking that I have to apply to medical school this summer. Is it possible that I could do applications in June and then go to Ecuador for 2 months and then come back and do secondaries? Or is that not a good idea given rolling admissions? I realize it may seem early to ask this, but I have to decide soon because applications for grant money are due soon.

Thanks for any help,

Sachin

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's not a good idea. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but, depending on how many schools you're planning on applying to (and it's a good idea to apply to lots), you will really be behind on secondaries by the time you get back. Unless you could work on them via the internet? I was gone from home (but not out of the country last year) and worked on stuff via email and internet, with my Mom opening all the correspondence and letting me know what essays I needed to be working on. Of course, continuing your research would be a great addition to your app. It's a hard decision. Exactly when would you leave for Ecuador?

I was planning on leaving July 1st or 2nd like I did this summer. I really am interested in this research and wanted to go back to strengthen it for my senior thesis (and maybe a Fulbright application). Secondaries are important to send back as soon as possible, no?

Thanks for the help,

Sachin

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone always talks about how important it is to do things super early, but it sounds like you got a good thing going in Ecuador. I didn't get any secondaries done until September and I was accepted, it's not the end of the world if you wait a month. No need to stop your life for med school apps. Besides, this research will be stuff you'll want to talk about in the apps, go do it, do it well and write lots about it. Schools will be impressed and offer you interviews whenever they get your app...most schools interview through February :)

Originally posted by immediatespring
i am applying for an interview in France so i might not even be here in june when the application starts but apart from getting your letters of recommendation and requesting your transcripts, i dont think it would be difficult applying from equador.
of course you should apply using an address where you would be able to get the secondaries, whether in equador or in america. you could submit some secondaries online or by mail, you don't have to wait two months after.
:)

Originally posted by NineSixteen
Everyone always talks about how important it is to do things super early, but it sounds like you got a good thing going in Ecuador. I didn't get any secondaries done until September and I was accepted, it's not the end of the world if you wait a month. No need to stop your life for med school apps. Besides, this research will be stuff you'll want to talk about in the apps, go do it, do it well and write lots about it. Schools will be impressed and offer you interviews whenever they get your app...most schools interview through February :)

Many secondaries require typing, this might be difficult from Ecuador. I don't know what mail delivery to/from Ecuador is like , but having had some experience with Mexico, I wouldn't chance it. Even on-line secondaries, require you to mail in a check, and sometimes a signature page. Interviewing in February often ends up as interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. (I sent in my last secondaries in Sept. last year, and ended up on several waitlists -- luckily got several acceptances as well, but I really worked hard at getting my secondaries in ASAP). Just things to think about. I agree the research would be great for your app, and if you can work out the details of getting all the LORs and transcripts before you go, and then having a way to work on the secondaries from Ecuador, then it might make sense.

Vete a Ecuador. Mi hermano estuvo en Cuenca, y le paso muy bien. Estaba trabajando para CFHI, un programa para estudiantes de medicina, y el fue en las ambulancias y a los hospitales y todo asi. Es importante que termines tu primer solicitud, antes de que salgas, y despues, vete a Ecuador, haz las cosas alla, y es muy facil conseguir un ordenador alla, porque la mayoria de las solicitudes estan en la red (internet). Tambien, Ecuador esta en CDT, es muy facil llamar tus padres. Todo el mundo sabe que necesitamos personas como tu, para ser medico a paises del tercer mundo. Buena suerte con todo!

samyjay,

Muchas gracias, quisiera trajabar en los paises del tercer mundo cuando yo sea un medico. Pero estoy preoccupado ahorita porque cuando investigo en Ecuador este verano, probablemente no voy a tener soficiente tiempo ni energia para terminar las solicitudes meintras investigando. Por eso yo quisiera terminar mis solicitudes cuando yo regrese a los estados unidos en agosto. Parace que eso no seria una cosa buena. Que piensas?

Translation:

Thanks a lot, I'd like to work in third-world countries when I'm a doctor. But I'm worried right now because when I do my research in Ecuador this summer, probably I'm not going to have enough time nor energy to finish the applications while researching. Because of that, I'd like to finish my applications when I return to the U.S in August. It seems that would not be a good thing though. What do you think?

Ahh, life decisions suck sometimes..

Sachin

I'm a little curious about this too. I will be applying next summer as well and plan on doing research in Puerto Rico, which is not that far, but not that close either.

Advice needed.

I think you would still have a decent chance if you go to Ecuador. If you get your amcas in before you go, and just have to do your secondaries when you get back, you're still ahead of a ton of people. You'd be ahead of August MCATers and those who submit their amcas anytime after the middle of July, probably.

Especially when you consider that you're delaying your application a bit for something that looks really good on your app, I think it would be worth it.

I would say, though, to contact the schools you're applying to before you leave. Let them know that you'll be gone all summer, so if they decide to send secondaries, they won't think you're putting off their applications.