Planning on opening up my own PT clinic, what to expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxhounds_Eric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been reading these boards for awhile now and was wondering if you could help guide me with some of my decisions.

I'm a freshman in college and am planning out my future. I am getting into PT and am planning on getting my DPT eventually. There are a few things I am unsure of however.

I have always been very interested in diet and excercise. I am planning on majoring in both excercise science and dietetics. I know that the excercise science degree would work nicely with PT, however I am unsure if the dietetics degree would be useful at all. What are your guys' opinions.

Also, in the long term I plan on opening up my own clinic. Is there anything I should start doing now that would help me in my endeavor?

Thanks as always,
Eric

Members don't see this ad.

Foxhounds_Eric said:
Hey guys, I have been reading these boards for awhile now and was wondering if you could help guide me with some of my decisions.

I'm a freshman in college and am planning out my future. I am getting into PT and am planning on getting my DPT eventually. There are a few things I am unsure of however.

I have always been very interested in diet and excercise. I am planning on majoring in both excercise science and dietetics. I know that the excercise science degree would work nicely with PT, however I am unsure if the dietetics degree would be useful at all. What are your guys' opinions.

Also, in the long term I plan on opening up my own clinic. Is there anything I should start doing now that would help me in my endeavor?

Thanks as always,
Eric

The dietetics degree could be useful for your clinic because you can offer nutritional services along with your PT services, which means more money and better health for your clients.

If you are serious about planning to open your own clinic someday, here are a few pointers:

1. Get your DPT. In fact, getting a Ph.D. would be optimal. It's not always about research. A B.S. in PT is now obsolete, and the M.S. will be too by the time you are able to apply to grad school.

2. If you want to do any work in nutrition or exercise phys, you'll need a dual degree, preferrably a M.S. in your complimentary area.

3. Do your clinical rotations in private clinics and hospital outpatient clinics. This will give you an idea of how clinics are run, and how the referral process works, which is very important.

4. You won't be able to go into business for yourself right out of school, even if you have a DPT for several reasons:
a. Inexperience
b. Unknown name (for referrals)
c. It takes $$$$$

5. Save money your first few years working for start-up cash, make a solid business plan, and look into loans. You'll need to lease office/clinic space and buy materials/forms, etc. and possibly have a secretary (payroll).

There are several options for PTs when starting a business. You could do it solo, with an other (or more) PT, or find an OT or SLP and have a multi-disciplinary clinic.

For referrals, make sure you enroll with insurance companies to become a preferred provider (e.g. Blue Cross) and with your state-funded programs (e.g. Early Intervention, Early Childhood). These state programs typically require physician approval, and your name will be on reports given to physicians - a great way to spread your name around.

Of course, there is so much more information out there, and there are books on how to start up a business for PTs. It's doable, but keep in mind it takes TIME. Not even a physician can go solo out of med school. It takes a residency and more time after that!

I'm not a PT, but I am an SLP and have my own private practice, so I really know where you are coming from. Plus, I work VERY closely with other PTs in private practice. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Megboo did a great summary of what I was going to say! But in the nutshell...nothing will substitute networking, and building your referral base. Start up cash, busisness savy plan (get some professional ppl i.e CPA, lawyer etc). Also such trivial things like :D LLL (location) could make or brake your practice. As far as the academic degree is concerned...unless it'srequired by law forPT in solo practice in your State, I'd just get my basic PT, get licensed, get a part-time job (home care is great), and build my practice slowly but surely. If you need more stuff like diatetics, you could always take a seminar. I doubted that you'll be able to bill for it, unless you want to become a Registered Diatician. The point is go with very basic, and see what you'll need, if anything, as you go along. Don't waiste time and $$$ trying to get it ALL.I know it's temting to do it all at once, Believe me, keeping it simple when you are just starting out will go a long way.

Goodluck :D

Megboo said:
If you are serious about planning to open your own clinic someday, here are a few pointers:

1. Get your DPT. In fact, getting a Ph.D. would be optimal. It's not always about research. A B.S. in PT is now obsolete, and the M.S. will be too by the time you are able to apply to grad school.

2. If you want to do any work in nutrition or exercise phys, you'll need a dual degree, preferrably a M.S. in your complimentary area.

3. Do your clinical rotations in private clinics and hospital outpatient clinics. This will give you an idea of how clinics are run, and how the referral process works, which is very important.

4. You won't be able to go into business for yourself right out of school, even if you have a DPT for several reasons:
a. Inexperience
b. Unknown name (for referrals)
c. It takes $$$$$

5. Save money your first few years working for start-up cash, make a solid business plan, and look into loans. You'll need to lease office/clinic space and buy materials/forms, etc. and possibly have a secretary (payroll).

There are several options for PTs when starting a business. You could do it solo, with an other (or more) PT, or find an OT or SLP and have a multi-disciplinary clinic.

For referrals, make sure you enroll with insurance companies to become a preferred provider (e.g. Blue Cross) and with your state-funded programs (e.g. Early Intervention, Early Childhood). These state programs typically require physician approval, and your name will be on reports given to physicians - a great way to spread your name around.

Of course, there is so much more information out there, and there are books on how to start up a business for PTs. It's doable, but keep in mind it takes TIME. Not even a physician can go solo out of med school. It takes a residency and more time after that!

I'm not a PT, but I am an SLP and have my own private practice, so I really know where you are coming from. Plus, I work VERY closely with other PTs in private practice. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot guys for your input. Does anyone else have any opinions?

Foxhounds_Eric said:
Thanks a lot guys for your input. Does anyone else have any opinions?

How much would you make in your own business...with all the overhead...vs being a super duper fitness trainer paid in cash? :cool: