planning to specialize ...will going to a D school without the specialty i want hurt my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpup96

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am choosing between two D schools. One has a pediatric dentistry program and the other doesn't ( although they do have a special pediatric clinic for treating children). Right now, I am really leaning toward the school that doesn't because of its clinical preparation and reputation. Will I be hurting my chances of pursuing pediatric dentistry if I choose the program that does not have a specialty program?

Members don't see this ad.

Ever so slightly, I would think yes. But first and foremost, you should pick the school that you will fit well in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the school, it's what you do with it!

Reactions: 1 users
No it won't hurt your chances, but going to an ivy will help your chances

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
You don't always have to go to a school that has the specialty you like. But it's preferable because you get to shadow and ask questions to the residents, possibly doing research with them (I'm trying for that route). What's important is how well you perform at the dental school you will be studying at (in terms of grades, GPA, ranking, extracurriculars, letters of rec, etc.). Also going to a reputable school (ivy and all that) would look good but not always the deciding factor.