Plans after the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go lakers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's everyone planning to do after the MCAT? i'm not talking about the night of the test (thats somewhat predictable :) ) but in general.

vacation? work? school? volunteering? relax?

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 week trip home and then to Honduras and Belize for some diving...followed by the fall semester, a full load of classes and working full-time...

school starts on aug 14 so week after mcat will be the second week at school :( god this summer went by fast

Members don't see this ad :)
go lakers said:
what's everyone planning to do after the MCAT? i'm not talking about the night of the test (thats somewhat predictable :) ) but in general.

for me classes start 9 days later. so i will be drunk for 8 days ;D
no no, it will just be a lot of relaxation, time with friends, seeing movies, reading, and WATCHING TV! oh how i miss tv

go lakers said:

Finish my CDC Fellowship and apply to schools. If I don't get in the first time around I'll do a post-bac program to keep from going insane. Either way I'll be going back to Europe next May.

Working my --- off to pay for all the stuff I did on the night of the test.

Driving across the country (midwest to east coast) with my parents (oh my) for my brother's wedding, then moving in at school/helping out for my brother's wedding reception at home.

Well, since I will be in my hometown...Orlando I will hit up the club with my old girls. Nah, I am actually going to see my mom and grams and then school starts back again. :p

secondaries, working to pay off applications and saving for a snowboarding trip in the winter, volunteering at the childrens hospital...and driving up to a friends house for possible irrational declarations (though this is highly up in the air)

I was toying with the idea of going skydiving as a little reward to myself for sacraficing my summer for the MCAT. I can't do anything too extravagant since I don't have enough money to travel and school starts two weeks later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.D-man said:
I was toying with the idea of going skydiving as a little reward to myself for sacraficing my summer for the MCAT. I can't do anything too extravagant since I don't have enough money to travel and school starts two weeks later.

Actually, after seeing your avatar, I'd like to see the Blue Angels F/A-18s. Too bad the closest they'll come to Orlando is in Jacksonville in late October. I was lucky last Fall when they came to Gainesville, FL and I watched them fly over my apt everyday from Thursday through Sunday.

I just checked their schedule and they'll be in Chicago for the the weekend of the MCAT. So if any test takers will be there, you might hear a lot of lound sounds, lol! (they sound awesome though!)

driving up to alaska from cali to visit my family and save up some money to move back down in dec.

Dr.D-man said:

Since I wrote this I had a better idea. I'm going to do some aerobatic flying (already a student pilot) as a reward. Period. Very excited now, can't wait to take this damn test.

WilliamsF1 said:
Actually, after seeing your avatar, I'd like to see the Blue Angels F/A-18s. Too bad the closest they'll come to Orlando is in Jacksonville in late October. I was lucky last Fall when they came to Gainesville, FL and I watched them fly over my apt everyday from Thursday through Sunday.

I just checked their schedule and they'll be in Chicago for the the weekend of the MCAT. So if any test takers will be there, you might hear a lot of lound sounds, lol! (they sound awesome though!)

There is no better sound in the world than the rumble of a fighter jet afterburner. In my avatar, the jet cruises along the runway on a low pass (20 feet or less) and quickly pulls into the vertical (pictured). This is my favorite thing they do.

I love flying.

Dr.D-man said:
There is no better sound in the world than the rumble of a fighter jet afterburner. In my avatar, the jet cruises along the runway on a low pass (20 feet or less) and quickly pulls into the vertical (pictured). This is my favorite thing they do.

I love flying.

I love the fighters. I remember when they came to my campus last Fall. I was walking up the main campus road on a hill, the sky was overcast, low ceiling. I heard these loud sounds, almost thunder-like, wondering what is going on. I look up at the road intersection, and one of the Hornets does a fly by at 200 ft above the ground!!! I didn't know they were coming til that moment.

Luckily, I was walking to reasearch and we have our animals stored on the roof. So I quickly went to the top of the building and had a view of the entire city and I could see them going round and round. Definitely something I will never forget. If this whole med school thing doesn't work out, I'm going to try to be a military pilot. :)

WilliamsF1 said:
I love the fighters. I remember when they came to my campus last Fall. I was walking up the main campus road on a hill, the sky was overcast, low ceiling. I heard these loud sounds, almost thunder-like, wondering what is going on. I look up at the road intersection, and one of the Hornets does a fly by at 200 ft above the ground!!! I didn't know they were coming til that moment.

Luckily, I was walking to reasearch and we have our animals stored on the roof. So I quickly went to the top of the building and had a view of the entire city and I could see them going round and round. Definitely something I will never forget. If this whole med school thing doesn't work out, I'm going to try to be a military pilot. :)

Gonna get a job (CPS investigator if possible) and take a Biochem class this fall. I plan on catching up on my outdoor activities...starting with my annual bird hunting excursion to Rotan home of the Fightin' Yellowhammers (September 1st is the start of dove season :D ), camping, hiking, hunting (Bow season baby), skiiing (on both of the lower energy phases of H20), and last but not least rekindling my relationship with all my desert rat friends at the Terlingua Chili Cookoff.

Sounds great!!!

I am starting a serious exercise regime post-MCAT. I decided I cannot deal with two huge projects at once so I postponed my get-fit plan until the end of August. Not to mention my study-induced candy cravings have not helped my waistline. (As I type this I am eating Mike and Ikes, just to let you know).
Other then that keep working at my job but actually enjoy my weekends again!

After the MCAT, I plan to spend 6 weeks agonizing over the possible results of my MCAT. I will get up everyday and have a panic attack over my score. Sounds good, huh?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kikaku21 said:
After the MCAT, I plan to spend 6 weeks agonizing over the possible results of my MCAT. I will get up everyday and have a panic attack over my score. Sounds good, huh?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

noooooooooooo you should not do that, because by the time you will be entering med school, you'll turn into a +pity+ patient.

actually i should probably start a website for mcat patients :laugh:

August 20th, eat food for my hangover...august 21st till october 15th, be continually pissed I don't have my scores and be jealous that january testers get their scores two weeks after the test.

october 15th...laugh, cry, or drink (most definitely the latter option, no matter my score)

school in there somewhere

School starts Sep 28, so I got more than a month. Hopefully not spent studying for the January MCATs.

go lakers said:

Lucky me, school starts up on the Monday after the MCAT :rolleyes: . I'll only get one day to recover from my hangover... :laugh:

mcat_study said:
noooooooooooo you should not do that, because by the time you will be entering med school, you'll turn into a +pity+ patient.

actually i should probably start a website for mcat patients :laugh:

You know, I was wondering the other day how many people have mental breakdowns or attempt suicide b/c of the MCAT or the boards? I suspect any sucessful suicides would just be some sort of Darwinism to weed out the incapable doctors.... was that cold?

Jwax said:
You know, I was wondering the other day how many people have mental breakdowns or attempt suicide b/c of the MCAT or the boards? I suspect any sucessful suicides would just be some sort of Darwinism to weed out the incapable doctors.... was that cold?

it is definitely darwinian---this is exam is more about stamina than anything we learned. ;)