plastic surgery- no elective surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reedman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how realistic is this? all the plastic docs i have met in the er do mostly elective surgery. i think they take call in the er so that they have the privilege to book OR time.

i know some people do only cleft palate or hand stuff. are there any docs that do a wide variety of things but stay away from boobs and lipo? burns, dog bites, congenital stuff, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know if doing only congenital anomalies, burns, and recon. is sustainable in a private practice model, but again, this is a question for the seasoned practitioners on the site. Also, as I understand it, there is a difference between elective procedures and purely cosmetic procedures. A plastic surgeon may be able to avoid cosmetic, but it would be difficult to avoid all elective procedures. I wonder if there is a backlash brewing against cosmetic surgery, so many fellow students I meet are against it. It is also strange that so many institutions do cosmetic procedures but are very wary of students who express interest in that area.

Stare Decisis is correct -- there are plenty of Plastic surgeons who do primarily reconstructive surgery that is elective. All that elective means is non-emergent. Probably the best situation for reconstructive surgery in private practice is as part of a multi-specialty group like Kaiser. You get an instant referral base (all of the other docs in the system) and you have less responsibility for managing a practice. You won't get stupid-rich in that type of practice, but you'll make plenty of money.