platonic relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icu812

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone... just wondering what people think about platonic relationshops in med school.

met someone that would have been nice to have as a friend... basically he expressed his interest in more quite too soon... when it wasn't reciprocated and asked "how about friends for now?"... his reply was "i don't believe in platonic relationships"

hope he isn't speaking for most of the gentleman out there.

Members don't see this ad.

my humble opinion is that the vast majority of so called platonic relationships are not so at all by either one or both of the members.

i admit that they do exist, but if you strip away all the tangled webs that cloud the bottom line in most platonic relationships, you'll see that they happen usually because one person is at least initially interested in the other person and a true relationship doesn't work for whatever reason and then they fall into the friend zone. some people go on for years pretending that they want to be friends when deep down they want more or at least fantasize about more.

i respect the person who you refer to for being straight up and honest with you and not dancing around the subject.

thanks for your comments dnt107... guess i never thought about everything you had commented on. i must admit that i do appreciate the fact that the guy was straight out honest (hate it when guys play games or beat around the bush). also, i suppose it's a bit of culture shock for me sometimes. the concept of platonic relationships was something i never thought about till this guy straight out said it. it's definitely good to know from what part or end of the spectrum people are coming from. i suppose i can be too friendly sometimes, but i think it gets mistaken for more when people don't realize that i'm like that with anyone who i think would make a good friend. i'm finding it really hard to find a safe in-between with guys in med school lately... guess i need to get out of my little bubble or stay away from guys in med school. thanks again dnt!

Members don't see this ad :)
icu812,
Don't be so quick to dismiss all guys in med school due to this isolated occurance. There are plenty of guys that believe in platonic affiliation (especially those heterosexually challanged :D ). I strongly believe that women (in general) are too quick to label or stereotype all men due to a few unfavorable experiences they personally encounter. There are plenty of guys willing to maintain platonic relations, in my opinion.....as long as your willing to give a little booty every now and then :) :D :) j/k

I don't see the problem with platonic relationships. If it won't work out then its still good to be friends with a girl. The good thing is that you can meet her friends and maybe one might be interested in you. You don't want to close all your doors.

I believe it was Chris Rock who stated it best...(if he was the one who said it) :)

Guys don't have girls who are friends...Guys have girls who turned them down for sex!

The only reason a guy talks to you is to get into your pants. He calls you and wants to hang out...then one day, he suddenly realizes he is in .....FRIEND ZONE!!!! AHHH!!!!!
Now, Friend Zone is a box you can't get out of. Once you get there, there's no turning back!

Of course he was much funnier...but that's the basic point :)

Could'nt have said it better dnt107! Although it is very sad that this guy doesn't yet realize how important you might become as just a friend to him in 3rd year when he's dead tired post call, and was just given more scut by the evil attending and need help. :mad:

platonic relationships are very realistic and not all guys only have female friends that they'd wanna hop in the sack with if they could...Most of my closest friends are female (and yes, I'm heterosexual!) and I've never held any 'hidden' desire to seduce them (although they all happen to be very attractive)...my girlfriend wasn't always ecstactic about the fact I mainly hang out with women, but you can genuinely reach a point where those friends almost become like family, and the notion of sleeping with them comes across as incestuous almost.... :eek: :cool:

I'm a male and have several firends that are girls. Do they want me to go to bed with them? No. Do I want to go to bed with them? No. IT depends on the people in it. They all know for a fact there's nothign mroe between us, and even if they were to fantasize it's fine by me, I'd be flattered. However, it would get no where. There's nothign wrong with having friends from the opposite sex. Whoever thought it should be all boys or all girls needs to get out of junior high.

Dude...I think it depends on your perspective.

For me at least...all my friends who are girls I have wanted to screw at one time or another. I am not friends with any girls I have gone out with in the past...why? Who knows...
BUT, just recently, I have found a good girl who is a friend who I don't have any intention of hooking up with. However, that's not to say in the past I did not have "impure" thoughts :)
I totally agree that this is the way that our species works. You continue to talk to a girl b/c you want to get to know her. Either personality or attraction keeps dragging you back to her.

I am pretty impressed that this dude came straight out and told you he doesn't do platonic relationships! I never really thought about just telling a girl straight up like that. I mean, I have friends who are girls, but it's not like I call them up and say, "hey, I'm going out..wanna hang?"
Just don't do it...oh well..