guitarguy23

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm trying to put something creative in my PS, and I want to show I've been dedicated to something that makes me stand out. I'm thinking about including the fact that I've played in a rock band for over two years and did everything involved with it (organizing gigs, organizing our music, playing till 3 am blah blah)

Would you recommend this? I planned on tying some aspects that I learned from this into how it will help me as a physician.

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have played Rock Band until 3 AM. Does this count??

But I think it would be a great PS story, it would def make you standout and who knows they might love the rock days of there past.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm trying to put something creative in my PS, and I want to show I've been dedicated to something that makes me stand out. I'm thinking about including the fact that I've played in a rock band for over two years and did everything involved with it (organizing gigs, organizing our music, playing till 3 am blah blah)

Would you recommend this? I planned on tying some aspects that I learned from this into how it will help me as a physician.
Do this.

I used my guitar playing as an open-ended secondary response for many schools.

Either do one or the other, interviewers really liked my guitar essay.

Maschuch

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I talked about my band/music experiences in my PS and in my secondaries. Be sure you tie it into why you want to be a physician somehow (or how it will help) and I think it works great. I got to talk about some of the stuff during my interviews, and I thought it went well (hopefully I'll be hearing positive responses from those schools in the next couple weeks).

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i put my band in my PS. it tied in great and worked well. it was the #1 thing my interviewers asked me about. i believe that aspect of my application single-handedly got me into Ohio State (my interviewer was a jazz musician and that's all we talked about)

AH3

Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely include it. I had a friend who was thinking about applying to med school soon and was in a pretty serious band (getting big quickly and possibly will become a career). He talked to some admissions faculty at several schools and some of them loved it. I think it shows some good experience and sets you apart from the "traditional" premed extracurriculars (volunteer, work, research).

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
I played rock band too. We traded positions often. I liked the drum best, although I can also sing or play the guitar pretty well.

guitarguy23

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice, I figured it could only help...

The 'Rock Band' replies are the best though, I gain inspiration for my PS every time I see them :)

lcr2108

Future MD 2014!
Dec 2, 2009
NYC
Status
Medical Student
i mentioned my funk band in my PS and that became a HUGE topic of conversation in my interviews!

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status

akinetopsia

some dude
10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
The Upside Down
Status
Medical Student
I don't see how it could possibly hurt. You could even throw in a "we're big in Germany" in there and how would they know otherwise? Just kidding.

I think any kind of musical EC is great - because it shows your dedication to something instead of a superficial commitment. Being in a band, practicing with a band, lining up gigs and touring, that's all pretty fertile ground to talk about in your secondaries and in interviews.

Good luck!

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Yeah, like everyone said, include it. I had several conversations about music in my interviews.

redsquareblack

The Eventual Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Having left school for a while to play, record, and tour with a band proved to be a wonderful topic of conversation in my interviews. YMMV, but I think Adcoms really enjoy seeing that an applicant not only engages in extracurricular activities, but is able to make a commitment to them and show some dedication.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Having left school for a while to play, record, and tour with a band proved to be a wonderful topic of conversation in my interviews. YMMV, but I think Adcoms really enjoy seeing that an applicant not only engages in extracurricular activities, but is able to make a commitment to them and show some dedication.
^ exactly! Also, it is a "hook", something that distinguishes you and makes you memorable. You may be labeled "the rock star" with a bit of irony but it is better than being among the indistiguishable mass of applicants who submit cookie cutter applications.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was in a band that opened for sir-mix-a-lot. On my amcas description instead of mentioning his name I said "grammy award winning artist."

Just so I don't give off the impression that I.... like big butts and I cannot lie.