Playing Sports during undergrad

Started by dridk
Tags Tags
premed sports
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dridk

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a second year undergraduate student. I have gotten my shadowing hours, I have a 3.7 GPA, Im doing 2 internships over the summer, I'm also getting volunteer hours next semester, and I was thinking about joining the cross country team next fall. Would this benefit me at all or would I just be wasting my time? I should also mention that it's D3 so I won't be getting paid.
 
If the time commitment won't affect your grades and it's something you enjoy doing, I would say go for it! Sports are a great extracurricular activity and can definitely teach you valuable lessons that you will use in medicine, so I think adcoms like to see that you're involved in things like that (at least that was my experience!). I was on a sports team in undergrad and I loved it, but you have to make sure your grades and other ECs don't suffer. Also once you get to med school/residency you won't have as much time to pursue those interests so I think you should go for it!