Playing Sports during undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dridk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year undergraduate student. I have gotten my shadowing hours, I have a 3.7 GPA, Im doing 2 internships over the summer, I'm also getting volunteer hours next semester, and I was thinking about joining the cross country team next fall. Would this benefit me at all or would I just be wasting my time? I should also mention that it's D3 so I won't be getting paid.

Members don't see this ad.

If the time commitment won't affect your grades and it's something you enjoy doing, I would say go for it! Sports are a great extracurricular activity and can definitely teach you valuable lessons that you will use in medicine, so I think adcoms like to see that you're involved in things like that (at least that was my experience!). I was on a sports team in undergrad and I loved it, but you have to make sure your grades and other ECs don't suffer. Also once you get to med school/residency you won't have as much time to pursue those interests so I think you should go for it!