Plea To The Anesthesia Rockstars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, friends,

A secret society sounds great. Kinda makes me giddy. Memories of VIP rooms visited while hanging with my Vegas homies....

but don't lose sight of what we're doing here.

Yeah, we're all humble, blah blah blah.

But the Mil's/Noy's/UT's have MUCH to offer to the internet savvy pre-med/med student/resident/CRNA/AA/pharmacist/et al.

Posting only in The Foreskin Society (secret) forum will defeat your purpose.
 
Hey
I think JPP's right on this one. What I think may be a good idea is to post here by default, and if a subject happens to ruffle some CRNA feathers, then you lock the thread here, and carry it over to the VIP room. Posting on the other forum by default will fragment the hell out of this board, and make it a less useful resource for our up-and coming MS3/4, residents, and even attendings, IMHO. I like what I see with our professions popularity, and would hate to quell one of the resources that others have when deciding on their specialty. I've seen a Lg # of "anes vs specialtyX" threads in my time here, and I'll bet we've picked up some good colleagues with them.
JMHO
 
to some extent..but i think there are many CRNAs like nitecap who have explicity stated that hey come on here to 'soak up the knowledge' and then leave.

I'm not about to sell out my profession. As many of truly interested folk in Anesthesiology were, I think it's reasonable to dish over $10 and become a ASA member and join the private forum. IF ppl want more earnest answers and want to ask more blunt questions, it would seem more appropriate to me.

on teh public forum, it's just that, it's waaay to public. imagine a random lay person comign into this forum and reading about some medical mishap,etc. It seems to me that that's why docs in the real world have closed grand rounds, etc where they can be open with each other and talk more deeply about things.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ThinkFast007 said:
to some extent..but i think there are many CRNAs like nitecap who have explicity stated that hey come on here to 'soak up the knowledge' and then leave.

I'm not about to sell out my profession. As many of truly interested folk in Anesthesiology were, I think it's reasonable to dish over $10 and become a ASA member and join the private forum. IF ppl want more earnest answers and want to ask more blunt questions, it would seem more appropriate to me.

on teh public forum, it's just that, it's waaay to public. imagine a random lay person comign into this forum and reading about some medical mishap,etc. It seems to me that that's why docs in the real world have closed grand rounds, etc where they can be open with each other and talk more deeply about things.

"WAAAAYYY TOO PUBLIC," as you put it, my friend,

is what I'm after.

Mil/UT/Noyac could give a s hit about my knowledge.

They already know it, and more.

I'm interested in posting for the pre-meds/med students/residents.

Do I benefit from the attending posts here?

Absolutely.

Thats why I'm respectfully requesting that they continue posting here.

Posting in The Foreskin Society defeats the purpose.

SO,

thirty MDs are sitting around The Foreskin forum.

MilMD posts one of his millionth relevant posts.

Who benefits?

Thirty MDs.

Who benefits if MilMD posts the same on SDN anesthesia?

Exponentially more.
 
I agree. If you choose not to disseminate yourknowledge to all who are willing to read (i.e. nurses, etc.) then post elsewhere. I truly appreciate all who share knowledge here, and I believe that it will make me a better physician to share info here.

Please dont quit discussing cases, etc. because I rely on it for the discussion.
 
lvspro said:
Hey
I think JPP's right on this one. What I think may be a good idea is to post here by default, and if a subject happens to ruffle some CRNA feathers

This is where I humbly disagree with you, lvs.

The answer is not resorting to The Foreskin Society.

The answer is for moderators of this forum to step in and eloquently say,

SORRY TROLL THIS IS A DOCTOR WEBSITE. IF YOUD LIKE TO PERSIST WITH YOUR USELESS PROPEGANDA PLEASE DIVERT YOUR VERBOSE FECAL MATERIAL TO WWW.MURSESUNITED.COM.

Just my opinion.
 
Idiopathic said:
I agree. If you choose not to disseminate yourknowledge to all who are willing to read (i.e. nurses, etc.) then post elsewhere. I truly appreciate all who share knowledge here, and I believe that it will make me a better physician to share info here.

Please dont quit discussing cases, etc. because I rely on it for the discussion.
👍 As a third year hellbent on anesthesiology, the advise dispensed here day in , day out is invaluable. Recently, while chatting with an anesthesia attending and his resident at a major academic center in Chicago, the attending commended me on my knowledge of the various anesthetic agents, and on procedures etc. I was on my surgery rotation at the time. When asked if I had had an anesthesia rotation yet, I replied no, but stated that I liked to keep up to date with goings on in anesthesiology by reading on here frequently. After the case, the attending approached me outside the surgical suite and offered me the chance to have an audition rotation at the hospital, even though, as he stated, they rarely took FMGs ( I am a Ross student). He also asked for the name of this website and the forum. Thanks you guys! This forum is truly a godsend. 👍
 
bulletproof said:
👍 As a third year hellbent on anesthesiology, the advise dispensed here day in , day out is invaluable. Recently, while chatting with an anesthesia attending and his resident at a major academic center in Chicago, the attending commended me on my knowledge of the various anesthetic agents, and on procedures etc. I was on my surgery rotation at the time. When asked if I had had an anesthesia rotation yet, I replied no, but stated that I liked to keep up to date with goings on in anesthesiology by reading on here frequently. After the case, the attending approached me outside the surgical suite and offered me the chance to have an audition rotation at the hospital, even though, as he stated, they rarely took FMGs ( I am a Ross student). He also asked for the name of this website and the forum. Thanks you guys! This forum is truly a godsend. 👍

Yet another post conveying the significance of our interaction here.

Be aggressive with the trolls.

Thats the answer.

Not The Foreskin Society.
 
jetproppilot said:
"

Who benefits?

Thirty MDs.
.
Not true at all.

The same med students/residents,etc can access the private forum. They can join too. It's not a cult. It just weeds out CRNAs and mks sure that all of our 'dirty laundry' is not hung out to dry.

The purpose of SDN as has been stated on here several times is that it is a DOCTOR forum. So how do we maintain only doctors/student doctors access the info w/i it...by having a password.

I think it's wrong Jet to missrepresent what the Private Forum is.
 
jetproppilot said:
..

Not The Foreskin Society.
Dude honestly, we get your point that you dont want to be apart of the private forum,etc.

But listen, there are plenty of med students/residents that have already received access to the private forum. PLENTY.


I really dont see the reason you need to denigrate something that has Good Intentions....the private forum is catering to the same audience (med students/residents/attendigns). Only difference is a password, which if eligible (which is rather easy) students/residents can get.

so is it exclusive? yes, to medstudents/residents/attendigns of Anesthesiology. Is that the audience that you and I are concerned about catering to? The 'others' that are not allowed in are the CRNAs and trolls primarily. So I dont understand how it is bad.
 
SleepIsGood said:
Dude honestly, we get your point that you dont want to be apart of the private forum,etc.

But listen, there are plenty of med students/residents that have already received access to the private forum. PLENTY.


I really dont see the reason you need to denigrate something that has Good Intentions....the private forum is catering to the same audience (med students/residents/attendigns). Only diff is a password, which if eligible (which is rather easy) you can get.

Why arent you there exclusively? You only have "50+" posts here. Shouldnt be a great loss for you.
 
Idiopathic said:
Why arent you there exclusively? You only have "50+" posts here. Shouldnt be a great loss for you.
Because as i stated earlier, we're not going to completely abandon the genuine medstudents, etc that are TRULY interested in Anesthesiology.
 
jetproppilot said:
Good intentions?

Yep. I see your point.

Missing the forest for the trees?

Yep. Absolutely.
Jet-

I really dont see the need to go around denigrating something by calling it a "foreskin society".

Good Intentions--absolutely, the same good intentions that this public forum does, but minus the trolls/CRNAs.
 
Gents,

For strategy, lobbying issues, and other serious organizational matters, the private forum is perfect. We should keep that among AMA/ASA members.

Most of us will use both, because I agree that it's harmless for us to share information on general issues, cases, residency matters, and just b.s.ing around etc., on the SDN Forum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jetproppilot said:
This is where I humbly disagree with you, lvs.

The answer is not resorting to The Foreskin Society.

The answer is for moderators of this forum to step in and eloquently say,

SORRY TROLL THIS IS A DOCTOR WEBSITE. IF YOUD LIKE TO PERSIST WITH YOUR USELESS PROPEGANDA PLEASE DIVERT YOUR VERBOSE FECAL MATERIAL TO WWW.MURSESUNITED.COM.

Just my opinion.

This would be the answer if we lived in an ideal world. Unfortunately, I've watched MD vs CRNA banter threads reach 8-12 pages w/o an intervention, proving that we are as close to the ideal as we are to Oz, or Who-ville. Maybe the recent events may will make the mods more vigilant, and less tolerant of USELESS exchanges about the professions.

You said verbose fecal material
 
I think the issue is that EVERY SINGLE thread that in any way dealt with the future of the anesthesia profession was hijacked by nurses/SRNAs and refocused onto CRNAs and their value/lack thereof. These threads are then invariably locked.

Do I wish that these student nurses were swatted down before they can trash these threads? Hells yeah. But any attempt to do so just leads to the thread being closed...aka mission accomplished for some. The final straw was Jet's account being put on hold...in other words, just trying to swat down trolls is clearly not working, and the mods aren't interested in doing so.

There are issues we want to talk about without the discourse eroding into a shouting match. One of these is that the agenda for CRNAs as an organization is to fight and lobby for more independent practice, and what this means to our bottom line. We as residents who are just entering the field are in this for the long haul, we haven't made our millions yet, we aren't rockstars, instead we are 200 grand in debt and are very concerned about how the practice landscape can change in the decade ahead. We want to fight to keep our profession strong.

I'll be damned if some student nurse keeps me from exchanging ideas about this important topic. If it means taking the discussion behind closed doors, and it's clearly gotten to that point, then so be it. Topics that don't get hijacked are fine to stay public. There is no reason to post in only one forum or the other, you can have your cake and eat it too. 👍
 
I haven't looked at the other forums on this site, but I sure do appreaciate hearing from Mil, JPP, Noycac, et al. There are questions you'd like to ask YOUR attending but are either too embarrassed or simply stuck with someone who won't know the answer, either. Losing any of these guys would be a real blow and make the site nearly worthless for current residents trying to advance their knowledge such as myself.

Whatever it takes, keep the focus on learning.
 
I hear what you're saying Jet but I think the private forum is also a great resource that could be used in many ways that we have not yet even conceived of.

For instance, it could be used to disseminate CANDID info about residency programs, interview experiences, etc. for people going thru the application process without fear of being flamed or of having PD's see it.....
 
djipopo said:
For instance, it could be used to disseminate CANDID info about residency programs, interview experiences, etc. for people going thru the application process without fear of being flamed or of having PD's see it.....

All it takes is an ASA membership to get in. I don't remember anything about the ASA prohibiting PD's from joining, so I think that makes this angle a moot point.
 
There are 2 issues here.

1. Moderators need to prevent the hijacking of this forum from its intended purpose.

2. Some members would like to have a private forum for the occasional ASA thread which they feel is not appropriate for public view. (Don't ask me what those topics would include, I don't know).

Both sides have a point, and both can exist together. However, I encourage use of the public forum for the vast majority of posts because it benefits the greatest number of members.

Additionally, our position is clear -- this forum is for physicians and medical students. Others are welcome, but the mods will close threads which continue to beat the dead CRNA vs. MD horse. The debate has had enough exposure, it's time to end it.
 
Lee Burnett said:
There are 2 issues here.

1. Moderators need to prevent the hijacking of this forum from it's intended purpose.

2. Some members would like to have a private forum for the occasional ASA thread which they feel is not appropriate for public view. (Don't ask me what those topics would include, I don't know).

Both sides have a point, and both can exist together. However, I encourage use of the public forum for the vast majority of posts because it benefits the greatest number of members.

Additionally, our position is clear -- this forum is for physicians and medical students. Others are welcome, but the mods will close threads which continue to beat the dead CRNA vs. MD horse. The debate has had enough exposure, it's time to end it.

Yup. This pretty much reiterates my other posts. Hopefully everyone stays here, saving the private forum for sensitive political stuff.
 
lvspro said:
All it takes is an ASA membership to get in. I don't remember anything about the ASA prohibiting PD's from joining, so I think that makes this angle a moot point.

First off, this was just a proposal to spark some ideas for additional uses for the private forum. Aside from that, your point is obvious and with the exception of one well-known PD who likes to post on this board, most PD's are pretty high-profile folk who probably prefer to maintain their anonymity and would therefore be less likely to give it up to join the private forum.

Secondly I don't want to give them anymore work to do but we do have a 'bouncer' who is checking ID's at the door, maybe we could screen for this? 😀

Again, these are just thoughts to get the collective creative juices flowing, I'm not saying that they need to be implemented. 🙂
 
ecCA1 said:
I haven't looked at the other forums on this site, but I sure do appreaciate hearing from Mil, JPP, Noycac, et al. There are questions you'd like to ask YOUR attending but are either too embarrassed or simply stuck with someone who won't know the answer, either. Losing any of these guys would be a real blow and make the site nearly worthless for current residents trying to advance their knowledge such as myself.

Whatever it takes, keep the focus on learning.

I wouldn't worry about any of us going anywhere.

And I admire the enthusiasm of you guys entering into anesthesia and the concern that you have for your specialty. I would not want to discourage your pursuit of a better and more secure future. I am only about 4 yrs out of residency and I can remember have the same concerns that many of you guys/gals have. Now that I have been in PP for a while I have become more comfortable with the situation. Thats not to say that some things don't concern me.
I guess nitecap didn't bother me as much as he did some of you b/c he always spewed the same rhetoric and only made nurses look more insecure and militant. He never ever displayed as much knowledge about anesthesia or medicine for that matter as the residents and med. students did. I am continuously impressed by the knowledge of you guys/gals especially the ones just starting anesth or MSIII/IV's.
I expect the information I get from Jet, Mil, UT (he is impressive for sure) and the others that are finished training.
This forum will remain strong b/c of your interest in medicine and no nurse will be able to bring it down.
 
ecCA1 said:
I haven't looked at the other forums on this site, but I sure do appreaciate hearing from Mil, JPP, Noycac, et al. There are questions you'd like to ask YOUR attending but are either too embarrassed or simply stuck with someone who won't know the answer, either. Losing any of these guys would be a real blow and make the site nearly worthless for current residents trying to advance their knowledge such as myself.

Whatever it takes, keep the focus on learning.

I think some of you guys/gals have the wrong idea about the private anesthesiology forum. We will NOT lose the greats like mil, JPP, Noyac, UTSW, etc., etc., but we'll definitely gain the opportunity to discuss more political topics without having to worry about trolls invading.
 
for me, the 25 bucks is better spent elsewhere right now.
drinks, another lap dance, whatever.
unless i get a free membership, guess im sticking here.
somehow i just cant get excited about nurses stealing our thunder either.
just seems implausible to me, at least.
but this new crew definitely has some motivation, that's for sure.
hopefully there will be minimal retraction from this public forum.
i pretty much just read all the attendings posts 90% of the time anyway.
it will also be quite the accomplishment if somehow you guys manage to keep it private in this day and age.
just my 2 cents.
 
leopold stotch said:
for me, the 25 bucks is better spent elsewhere right now.
drinks, another lap dance, whatever.
unless i get a free membership, guess im sticking here.
somehow i just cant get excited about nurses stealing our thunder either.
just seems implausible to me, at least.
but this new crew definitely has some motivation, that's for sure.
hopefully there will be minimal retraction from this public forum.
i pretty much just read all the attendings posts 90% of the time anyway.
it will also be quite the accomplishment if somehow you manage to keep it private in this day and age.
just my 2 cents.

Well, hopefully you do get "excited" someday because over the years it has been, among other things, a lack of "excitement" for this topic on the anesthesiologists part and more than enough excitement on the nurse part that has this issue on the hotseat. That's exactly what the nurses want to hear as well, that the doctors don't really give a crap about them wanting to be able and do everything we do independently. That's cool though, there will always be passive folks who just want to make money, live their lives and die and then those who want to do exactly the same, but also "protect" their profession from being invaded by anybody who wants a piece of what we do. Also, if anybody decides to be a pinhead and happens to leak any info posted on the private forum in the public arena, they obviously don't give a **** about our profession and should be banned from SDN altogether. Just MY 2 cents...
 
driverabu said:
Well, hopefully you do get "excited" someday because over the years it has been, among other things, a lack of "excitement" for this topic on the anesthesiologists part and more than enough excitement on the nurse part that has this issue on the hotseat. That's exactly what the nurses want to hear as well, that the doctors don't really give a crap about them wanting to be able and do everything we do independently. That's cool though, there will always be passive folks who just want to make money, live their lives and die and then those who want to do exactly the same, but also "protect" their profession from being invaded by anybody who wants a piece of what we do. Also, if anybody decides to be a pinhead and happens to leak any info posted on the private forum in the public arena, they obviously don't give a **** about our profession and should be banned from SDN altogether. Just MY 2 cents...


I agree with you buddy. I think it all comes down to how much you care. The question I ask myself is "am I going into anesthesiology to ride the wave and make money, live my life and die or am I in it to make a difference"?

In life there will always be leaders and followers. So far many people I met in anesthesiology seem apathetic and appear to be the latter type.

As a kid, my dad would always say "little dude, if I ask you to do something, by the time I'm done asking you, you should have already done it, not once but twice". That's the kinda of attitude I carry with me everywhere.
 
toughlife said:
I agree with you buddy. I think it all comes down to how much you care. The question I ask myself is "am I going into anesthesiology to ride the wave and make money, live my life and die or am I in it to make a difference"?

In life there will always be leaders and followers. So far many people I met in anesthesiology seem apathetic and appear to be the latter type.

As a kid, my dad would always say "little dude, if I ask you to do something, by the time I'm done asking you, you should have already done it, not once but twice". That's the kinda of attitude I carry with me everywhere.

Hey Tough, I think we have the same dad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
toughlife said:
Well, hopefully you do get "excited" someday because over the years it has been, among other things, a lack of "excitement" for this topic on the anesthesiologists part and more than enough excitement on the nurse part that has this issue on the hotseat.

It'll be a lot easier when I'm no longer a surgery intern. I'm just tired and worn out man. Believe me, if **** hits the fan, I'll be there for you fellas. Word.

In life there will always be leaders and followers. So far many people I met in anesthesiology seem apathetic and appear to be the latter type.

Tough, my dad was likely not as tough as yours bro.

Anyway, I hope you guys keep archives in there so when I eventually get in there I can catch up to speed.

Good luck with the forum.