Please adivse: Applyng to prelim and advanced programs at same hospital

Started by bigthing0
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigthing0

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been applying to prelim-IM programs and also advanced residency programs.

What gets me worried is that I didn't particularly perform well during my IM clerkship, and if a prelim-IM program rejects me and decides to share that decision and its details with the PD of the advanced residency program I applied to at the same institution, that would definitely damage my chance of matching into the advanced program.

So in my case, would it be wise for me to ensure that the lists of prelim-IM and advanced programs do not overlap? But if I do this, then I wonder, if the advanced program PDs might think that I do not have genuine interest in moving to that areas since I'm not also applying to their prelim-IM programs. I would greatly appreciate any advices.
 
I have been applying to prelim-IM programs and also advanced residency programs.

What gets me worried is that I didn't particularly perform well during my IM clerkship, and if a prelim-IM program rejects me and decides to share that decision and its details with the PD of the advanced residency program I applied to at the same institution, that would definitely damage my chance of matching into the advanced program.

So in my case, would it be wise for me to ensure that the lists of prelim-IM and advanced programs do not overlap? But if I do this, then I wonder, if the advanced program PDs might think that I do not have genuine interest in moving to that areas since I'm not also applying to their prelim-IM programs. I would greatly appreciate any advices.

Are your "advanced residency programs" radiology?

PDs often do talk with each other, especially within the same institution. If you did poorly on your IM rotation as you described, the advanced (radiology?) program would know about it as well (it'll likely be on your transcript or MSPE). There isn't a whole lot you can do about it at this point. I wouldn't avoid applying to somewhere just because you believe that the prelim-IM will share this with the advanced program. The advanced (radiology?) likely already is aware you did poorly in IM.