steph2

5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2010
Status
Hi all, I am a grad student (PhD) planning on applying to MD. My uGPA is 3.6 and my grad GPA is 3.7 (Both are AMCAS GPAs not the orginal GPAs). But I screwed up a grad school class and got an F because I was dumb enough to take the exam even though I ended up in the ER the night before. I successfully retook the class with a A. Am I screwed because of the F on my transcript? Also do medical schools look at older MCAT scores closely? I took MCAT in 2005 but scored only 23Q but my most recent MCAT is 34P. In other words I am asking what are my chances and how bad did I screw up

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all, I am a grad student (PhD) planning on applying to MD. My uGPA is 3.6 and my grad GPA is 3.7 (Both are AMCAS GPAs not the orginal GPAs). But I screwed up a grad school class and got an F because I was dumb enough to take the exam even though I ended up in the ER the night before. I successfully retook the class with a A. Am I screwed because of the F on my transcript? Also do medical schools look at older MCAT scores closely? I took MCAT in 2005 but scored only 23Q but my most recent MCAT is 34P. In other words I am asking what are my chances and how bad did I screw up

U're fine on both counts, ADCOMs are human and can understand aberrant performance here and there as long as it's not a pattern. Grad gpa doesn't count too much in any case, but the fact that u were sick is not than reasonable explanation for the F.

Pretend ur 23Q never happened, it's too old to be considered.

Gdluck

Sep 28, 2010
TX
Status
Medical Student
The schools I interviewed at told me they take into account your highest mcat score, so you will be ok. And 23 to 34 is a huge leap, so congrats. As for the GPA, if you think a F is a hindrance, explain it in the secondary application & to the interviewer (only) if they ask. Other than that, your stats are favorable & competitive.:thumbup: