please,can you guys give me a suggestion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dent2005

I have 88 on NDB part I, and 2,72 ECE score, I will go and get my teofl in a couple of weeks,too. What will be a smart thing to do after that? retake my part one or go and get the part 2 NDB?I am also volunteering dental assistant, for 5 months already, I have one year experience work back home as dentist, and one year work here in a dental comp, but for last 2 years stayed home raised my daughter and just volunteer and study. I have no ideea how this reports to the majority, do I have any serious chance of getting a call if I apply with just this scores and experience or do I need to improve my part I score?
Also, California or NY are OUT of my list of coleges to aplly, so my options are also more limited than other people.Can some of you more experienced try give me some ideea of where I am standind?I would appreciate very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on part 1. Last year I gave part 1 during pregnancy and got 87. I then made the mistake of doing part 2 (during pregnancy) again. I got 75 which looked negative. I then repeated part1, got 92 and finally got admission in BU this year. My experience is that part 2 is good to have but part 1 matters the most. Your GPA looks good too. Do some more background study, take kaplan, practice released and pilot papers. In the meantime, apply. Its not going to hurt. You might just get a call. I was waitlisted last year at NYU with 87 but I retook the exam. Also keep on doing DA work. That also helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
hai
1st of all congratulations on making into bu
i would like to know when did u apply[month] to nyu last year
as u were waitlisted i would like to know the month u applied

prvn

rgr said:
Focus on part 1. Last year I gave part 1 during pregnancy and got 87. I then made the mistake of doing part 2 (during pregnancy) again. I got 75 which looked negative. I then repeated part1, got 92 and finally got admission in BU this year. My experience is that part 2 is good to have but part 1 matters the most. Your GPA looks good too. Do some more background study, take kaplan, practice released and pilot papers. In the meantime, apply. Its not going to hurt. You might just get a call. I was waitlisted last year at NYU with 87 but I retook the exam. Also keep on doing DA work. That also helps.

Thank you so much for your advice rgr, I feel I should do that too. If it's not too much for you and you find some time can you tell me how was your BU interviw, and what do you think are they expecting from as to achieve-as far as work experience?Bu is one of the programs on my list too and I could use some advice, but only if you have time, I can only imagine how busy you must be now, once you start the program.
thanks,
Simona

Thanks prvn.
In 2004, I applied in August. Got interview letter end of Jan 2005, I think.
I interviewed during the 3rd week of march. Got a waitlisted letter in April i think. Waited till september for dropouts. When that didn't happen, asked them to reactivate for 2006. Retook toefl IBT in Nov 2005. In the meantime, I restarted studying for part 1 at the end of may 2005. Took the part 1 again end of september and sent it to NYU in early Oct.

prvn said:
hai
1st of all congratulations on making into bu
i would like to know when did u apply[month] to nyu last year
as u were waitlisted i would like to know the month u applied

prvn

Hi Simona,
Here's a copy of the message I sent someone. It probably answers you question about BU
----------------------------------------------------------
As I mentioned on the post, they are looking for part 1 and GPA in school. Basically they are looking for academically inclined students. So you have to gear up like that. Generally just be open and forthcoming and have strong insightful arguments. I prepared a list of 25-30 possible questions they could ask based on my experience from last year. You can do the same and prepare a list of possible answers so that you are well prepared and ready.

They tend to ask personal, family type questions so as to guage your family commitment and support.

If you have US observer exp, get a letter and show it.
I didn't have one of the letters and the interviewer commented that I should always carry it. They didn't ask for originals, but I did carry them, just in case. I recommend doing so because you never know when someone will ask. It always helps to be prepared.

General Qs can be
Strong points, weak points, why BU, why dentistry, why should we take you, what did you do in school, husband, babies, who would take care of the baby, relationship with husband etc.

They are checking your communication, motivation, interest, commitment etc. During the orientation session, try to speak up and be noticed. Try to differentiate yourself.

That’s about all. Best of luck

dent2005 said:
Thank you so much for your advice rgr, I feel I should do that too. If it's not too much for you and you find some time can you tell me how was your BU interviw, and what do you think are they expecting from as to achieve-as far as work experience?Bu is one of the programs on my list too and I could use some advice, but only if you have time, I can only imagine how busy you must be now, once you start the program.
thanks,
Simona