PLEASE clarify this bio question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm not sure if this has been already discussed or not but i've encountered a confusing thread regarding the ADA sample test (2009 version) on bio:

What are the correct answers for these questions?

17. which of the following cells creates antibody-producing plasma cells?
A. B-cells
B. T-helper cells
C. cytotoxic T cells
D. Macrophages
E. Natural killer cells

ADA's answer is C.
------------------------
Which of the following is the major intracellular buffer?
A. Tris
B. Acetate
C. Phosphate
D. Bicarbonate
E. calcium carbonate.

ADA's answer is D.
------------------------
The fusion of male and female pronuclei characterizes the final step of
A. Ovulation
B. sperm meiosis
C. gametogenesis
D. Egg maturation
E. Fertilization

ADA's answer is A.
------------------------

PLEASE clarify because i'm confused and the following thread they all have different answers....:scared:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=691985

Members don't see this ad.

Man, those are bad lol. At first it makes you question everything you know - then you read the next question and know it's all BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aye, nevermind. I briefly read the other thread where they debated this question. I am mistaken.

I initially thought "A" too, but I could see an argument for "B". B-Cells "become" Plasma Cells and secrete antibodies, but are "created" via stimulation by helper T-Cells. B-cells do not self-stimulate/self-differentiate but require an external cue from helper T-Cells. I guess it comes down to what you take the "term" create to mean and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Its questions like these where knowing a little too much can kill you. I can see an argument for both.

I initially thought "A" too, but I could see an argument for "B". B-Cells "become" Plasma Cells and secrete antibodies, but are "created" via stimulation by helper T-Cells. B-cells do not self-stimulate/self-differentiate but require an external cue from helper T-Cells. I guess it comes down to what you take the "term" create to mean and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Its questions like these where knowing a little too much can kill you. I can see an argument for both.

Actually according to Kahn (Kahn's video lectures), B-cells do self-stimulate/differentiate but helper T-cells are required to really get it going. His wife has a PhD in immunology so he is pretty knowledgeable about the topic. I understand what you are trying to say but the correct answer really is only A in this case.

Actually according to Kahn (Kahn's video lectures), B-cells do self-stimulate/differentiate but helper T-cells are required to really get it going. His wife has a PhD in immunology so he is pretty knowledgeable about the topic. I understand what you are trying to say but the correct answer really is only A in this case.
Well my P.I. in grad school had a PhD in Immunology and also taught at the local Medical School so I guess that makes me an expert as well :laugh:
You're probably right, what with those monster DAT scores - props by the way,
I also remember when we were making our own antibodies (B-Cell--> Plasma cell then fused with Myeloma--> Hybridoma) in the labs we had to pulse the B-Cells with T-Cells to get them going, but that may have been as you said to get the ball rolling faster..... I only briefly checked wikipedia which we all know how reliable that is lol, so I'll acquiesce to "A" until I get some time to back up what I read with some Journal Digging, but not sure how much time I have for that until I am finished with the DAT......... The question would have been so much more clearer if it said "becomes" not "creates", I hate poor question writing...

Well my P.I. in grad school had a PhD in Immunology and also taught at the local Medical School so I guess that makes me an expert as well :laugh:
You're probably right, what with those monster DAT scores - props by the way,
I also remember when were making our own antibodies in the labs we had to pulse the B-Cells with T-Cells to get them going, but that may have been as you said to get the ball rolling faster..... I only briefly checked wikipedia which we all know how reliable that is lol, so I'll acquiesce to "A" until I get some time to back up what I read with some Journal Digging, but not sure how much time I have for that until I am finished with the DAT......... The question would have been so much more clearer if it said "becomes" not "creates", I hate poor question writing...

Well I just meant his wife gave direct input on those immunology lectures that Kahn gave. But as for the DAT, yeah it's pretty tempting to over-think q's. I made a dumb mistake during the bio section. I chose the correct, very obvious answer to a question during my first run thru but changed it because I second-guessed myself during my second run thru when I was checking.

If you can't decide between 2 answers, just go with your gut and choose the most "obvious" answer. That would probably lead most people to the correct answer for #17.

Well I just meant his wife gave direct input on those immunology lectures that Kahn gave. But as for the DAT, yeah it's pretty tempting to over-think q's. I made a dumb mistake during the bio section. I chose the correct, very obvious answer to a question during my first run thru but changed it because I second-guessed myself during my second run thru when I was checking.

If you can't decide between 2 answers, just go with your gut and choose the most "obvious" answer. That would probably lead most people to the correct answer for #17.

Agreed.
I know what you were trying to say about the PhD I was just having fun with the comment :)