Please Critique My First-year Schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Back to back classes are really not as much of a problem as you might think. I took 3 back to back last semester and really never ran into any issues. I might have had 2 tests on the same day one time. It'll be fine.

I've also done labs that last until 10 pm. They're kind of annoying but not a big deal.

My only concern is that this is a pretty big undertaking for your first semester. That is a lot of science classes all crammed together. You want to have some time to adjust to college life and hang out with new friends.

Then again, Tahi, OP also is only taking one year of undergraduate classes and then is bailing out. Why? I have no idea, and OP obviously doesn't think we need to know why.

College life and its corollaries are superfluous if you're only going to be at the school for one year - I agree with the buckle-down, get-to-it attitude. However, that IS a lot of stuff crammed together, and while Tahi is right, that back to back classes isn't as bad as it seems on paper, we don't know how adept you are with science.

I probably would try to spread it out a little more, because I don't think I could really stomach Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Calculus concurrently. I'm not as gifted as some with mathematics and science, as I was a humanities guy before making a switch to pharmacy, I really did struggle a lot of time with math, especially Calculus and Calc-based Physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhm that schedule is pretty heavy for a first year college. You are taking chem, physics, bio + 3 labs + calculus + something else.... Are you sure you can get As out of that schedule? I know you can handle it, but the question is can you get As out of those classes? GPA is more important than course load.

Uhm that schedule is pretty heavy for a first year college. You are taking chem, physics, bio + 3 labs + calculus + something else.... Are you sure you can get As out of that schedule? I know you can handle it, but the question is can you get As out of those classes? GPA is more important than course load.

That does look pretty tough for just starting out. But it doesn't look like there is much to do to lighten the load if the sciences are required. I was going to recommend switching out calculus for an elective pre-req but you said that you already took calculus in high school. It might be time-consuming to complete the homework but you probably won't have to study much in addition to that. Do you have to take five classes? I might start out with just four and make up for it in summer school if that's an option. That looks like a tough, tough schedule for a first time college student. I wouldn't want to be around you when finals week comes around.

Passion4Sci makes a good point. If you're only going to be at the school for one year then maybe having time to make friends is not that valuable. You sound like an excellent student. Just don't be surprised if college classes are more difficult than your AP classes were. It's just a different way of learning and it takes most people a semester or maybe more to get adjusted.

Make a note of the deadline for dropping courses. If you take this schedule and get in over your head, you can drop with no penalty and make up for lost time in summer school, as someone else suggested. It's much easier to take your time than to go back and try to fix a low GPA.

Thanks for your input.

I really would like to lighten the workload myself, I don't know how i'll be able to.

1) All first-year students must take 5 full year courses. I get to have 3 mandatory and 2 electives (math,psychology)

2) So bascially, everything that I'm taking are the pre-requisites for UofT pharmacy except for physics. (which I can't not take because it's mandatory for Biomed students)

gahhhh! :(

Just don't try to burn the candle at both ends and be a party animal... You seem bright enough to make that schedule work for you, just be aware of time management problems if you have any, and make sure you get to know your professors in office hours!

Geez I'll be a first year college student in pre-pharm in august and I thought my schedule was tough with chem + labs, bio + labs, pharm orientation, calc, and econ with 15 credit hours first semester. I feel for ya.

I guess it's different in Canada... I thought most people had this..

It must be. I scheduled organic chem, general bio, physics and calculus all in the same semester and my advisor warned me about it. I didn't even have a fifth class. I wonder if your classes require less work or that they just expect you to work a lot harder than they do here.

Members don't see this ad :)
It must be. I scheduled organic chem, general bio, physics and calculus all in the same semester and my advisor warned me about it. I didn't even have a fifth class. I wonder if your classes require less work or that they just expect you to work a lot harder than they do here.

Since this is the United States of Entitlement, I'll go with the latter clause.

1) All first-year students must take 5 full year courses. I get to have 3 mandatory and 2 electives (math,psychology)

So in other words, there is no way to drop a course mid-semester. Bummer...

You'll be fine as long as you live close/on campus, that way you won't have to commute back home after labs. Because commute does take a lot out of you if you live more than an hour away from campus. Don't worry about it course load wise. I did almost the same schedule (except english for physcology) at UBC for my first term of university and I got straight A's, so its a definate plausible to get good grades. However, a warning like most people have said, with a schedule like that you won't be able to make a lot of new friends during your school year, because while they will be hanging out after class/partying during the week, you will probably be studying/too tired from classes. So if you already know a lot of people at your university, than you will be fine because you will be able to still socialize with old friends, cause thats mostly what I did last year.
But...I would suggest you replace physcology with english because that way, since your course load is basically the same as what one would want from an UBC student, you will be able to apply for more than one pharmacy school if you chose to. But if you are not going to apply for UBC...or any other pharmacy school. I think your courses are fine.

Oh man, that boosts me alot in confidence, thanks alot.
I'm rooming up w/ a buddy of mine so i don't think socializing is an issue.

I chose psychology because english is one of my weakest subject (83% in HS, eek)and I heard that psychology is relatively easy.

and since UBC, UofA, Waterloo needs at least 2 yrs of undergrad, I'm planning to take ENG in the second year if I don't get into UofT. Does that make sense?

UBC only requires 1 year of undergraduate studies.

I understand where you are coming from though, with all the impending changes to the U of T pharmacy program. I honestly think students are better off doing 2 years of undergrad so that they don't have to pack all the prereqs into one year (and thus get overwhelmed and do poorly and screwing their chances) and also getting some of the upper year reqs completed before pharm school.

PS 83% in English is pretty good :)

Edit: Just curious, what school are you doing your undergrad at?

Last edited:
From my experience, evening labs are the worst. If you can find away to push one of your labs to Tuesday morning, or even in the afternoon on any other day you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

Also, I think you should consider applying after 2 years of university. Trust me, it's not such a bad thing to stay for another year or two. If you get into UofT after only 1 year, you're going to have to take 7 courses each semester, that includes Orgo I and II. It would be nice if you can get transfer credits for the tougher courses. Rushing your way to Pharmacy School may end up doing you more harm than good.

Ofcourse, I don't know what your situation is like. You may be in a tough spot financially, or you may have some personal problems that prevent you from taking your time. If that's the case, then by all means go for it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I wouldn't mind staying another year or two.. it's just that I'll be fulfiling my requirements ANYWAY, so i might as well apply after first year and see if I get accepted..

As a rule at UW, I HAVE to take 3 sci and 2 electives, which includes all the LABS/TUTORIALs.

I don't know if I'm allowed to take only 4 courses...

Wow, Waterloo sounds really restrictive!! (although I have no idea if this is common and happens at other universities too, as I did first and second year at college). Seems like a stupid rule to me, which probably totally screws over a lot of students straight out of high school.

Before pharmacy school I never took more than 4 classes/semester. It was so nice.
Good luck with your first year! :)

Just curious, why don't you apply to Waterloo pharmacy?

i agree with the posters above and want to add some info of my own

research what your physics and calc courses entail (they actuall usually go hand in hand). look at the professors...see if you can get input on how easy/hard they are what their test format...curves etc. if you are a good math person then i think the schedule is great for you over all...(i've done it with almost an identical schedule, but 2 more courses on top).

if you are weak in physics (which a lot of people are) and the course taught at your school is not very forgiving then i would reccomend taking an easier course load

Hmm...

Well, the fact that there's a line absent dividing Wednesday and Thursday makes those two days feel a little rushed together, which takes away from the overall aesthetics. However, the contrast in blue fonts featuring both the gray-blue and the navy blue is a very nice touch and makes it an overall appealing presentation. I rather like it myself, but then, I was never considered all that exalted of a critic.

Op, you should really tone that schedule of yours down.

First off, this is your first semester of your first year. A lot of new things that you have to get used to awaits you in college.

I would suggest taking at most 2 pre-pharm classes to start-off with. This will help you get used to college.

Remember college is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Geez I'll be a first year college student in pre-pharm in august and I thought my schedule was tough with chem + labs, bio + labs, pharm orientation, calc, and econ with 15 credit hours first semester. I feel for ya.

Curious what school you are going to. You just pretty much described the typical first semester UoP student.