Please Don't Ever Be This Guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then you also missed Sexson throwing his helmet at the pitcher as a lead-in to the tackle. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let y'all know when I read that kid's AMCAS essay. I expect it will start something like this...

"Crack! The ball shot off the bat and straight for the young pitcher's head. In a moment he was down and writhing in pain. I rushed to the side of the suffering child but as a mere pre-med there was nothing I could do to help. I watched as others attended to him and I wished that I could do more. I saw the skill with which medical professionals attended to his needs with such skill and caring. Later, I saw the grateful smiles of the little boy's parents and I realized that helping others is the most gratifying work in the world. I want to be a doctor so that I can help others."

:lol:How embarrassing. I think I have an abandoned rough draft that's something along these dramatic lines. It's amazing how silly we all are.

"Don't worry, I know the phases of the cell cycle, have done serial dilutions, and have taken an english component class...I'm a pre-med"

:thumbup:
If I had a dime for every pre-med who is fascinated by the human body and another dime for every one who started their PS with an (unnecessary) dramatic sound effect, I'd be all set for retirement.:laugh:

Hahaha LizzyM, I also thought about this a lot when I was preparing my PS. I could be dramatic at the risk of making the whole ADCOM burst out in laughter at how corny it is (I am admittedly not a very good PS writer) or I could be very straightforward and make my case logically. I decided to keep my hook because even though trying to make the ADCOM enthralled by it doesn't matter because chances are 95%+ that they've seen something like it before, what matters is that I showed some enthusiasm for the potential of medicine even if the essay can be construed as "oooh its another funny sound effect-starting essay" by some people. Hopefully others will give me a fighting chance. Even if they laugh at how bad it is, giving some comic relief to the ADCOM during the stressful admissions process would be worth my while. Come on guys, don't tell me you've never made fun of applicants during the meetings?

well... only worth my while if they remembered the laugh and gave me an interview :laugh:

I know of people who have made up their personal statements and gotten into medical school. This bugs me deeply sometimes because no matter how much I actually accomplish (admittedly not very much), somebody can always just make up a story about saving a person on the airplane and get a leg up. I've decided to stop paying attention to what other people do and make myself the best applicant that I can.

That person is a douche. I have to admit, even as an EMT, I tried to take on things that I was not prepared for and I have been humbled greatly by those experiences (sometimes ending up getting blood, puke, urine, or feces smeared all over me... and yes, looking like a total idiot) but you can only learn by doing. A newbie does not know what they can actually do until they are faced with a challenge and we are all n00bs at this point. well... theres scope of practice too but even within that there are fuzzy spots. However, I agree with the majority that a person with no background training should not even attempt such a thing.

This story made my day. Thanks.

Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. ;) I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.

But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.

Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. ;) I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.

So what you're saying is you are that guy ;).

But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.

picard.jpeg

Wow... Atleast you stick up for your toolish brethren

I'll let y'all know when I read that kid's AMCAS essay. I expect it will start something like this...

"Crack! The ball shot off the bat and straight for the young pitcher's head. In a moment he was down and writhing in pain. I rushed to the side of the suffering child but as a mere pre-med there was nothing I could do to help. I watched as others attended to him and I wished that I could do more. I saw the skill with which medical professionals attended to his needs with such skill and caring. Later, I saw the grateful smiles of the little boy's parents and I realized that helping others is the most gratifying work in the world. I want to be a doctor so that I can help others."

Don't mind me but I think I'm going to be using that :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read it... "oh #%#!, that's my essay!"
:lol:How embarrassing. I think I have an abandoned rough draft that's something along these dramatic lines. It's amazing how silly we all are.

:bullcrap:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :thumbdown:

Woah! :eek: lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I were the EMT, I'd be laughing my head off! :p

This thread is now on my favorite list.

I don't know about you, but MY mom has been teaching me how to read CTs AND MRIs. Don't get too mad that I have more of an edge on you though. Oh, and I have 1,000+ hours of volunteer time, 5,000 clinical hours, and severe pre-gunnerism. DON'T MIND ME

I love that there are actually people out there like CT guy, so I feel compelled to add one more. I really do hope I get to work with him one day, so he can teach me all that he knows and make me a better doctor/all around person.

EndCat.jpg

:mad: I sent you my PS so that you could review it in private, not post it on SDN.

It's amazing how much they all sound alike. I read quite a few one year and saw the same old same old same old.

Don't worry - I like science and I want to help people.

"Please let me do something, I don't have any clinical experience on my AMCAS!!"

"Don't worry, I took the Princeton Review"

or

"Don't worry, I took a practice test"

I'm surprised no one thought of MCAT jokes. I should get back to studying...