-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Please Don't Ever Be This Guys
Started by Insulinshock
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Don't worry, I volunteer in the gift shop at the hospital.
😆
damn, you got to it first
Yep, this occurred to me, too.
I'm just surprised nobody has used
"Don't worry, I post on SDN."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll let y'all know when I read that kid's AMCAS essay. I expect it will start something like this...
"Crack! The ball shot off the bat and straight for the young pitcher's head. In a moment he was down and writhing in pain. I rushed to the side of the suffering child but as a mere pre-med there was nothing I could do to help. I watched as others attended to him and I wished that I could do more. I saw the skill with which medical professionals attended to his needs with such skill and caring. Later, I saw the grateful smiles of the little boy's parents and I realized that helping others is the most gratifying work in the world. I want to be a doctor so that I can help others."
😆How embarrassing. I think I have an abandoned rough draft that's something along these dramatic lines. It's amazing how silly we all are.
This is priceless.
👍
If I had a dime for every pre-med who is fascinated by the human body and another dime for every one who started their PS with an (unnecessary) dramatic sound effect, I'd be all set for retirement.![]()
Hahaha LizzyM, I also thought about this a lot when I was preparing my PS. I could be dramatic at the risk of making the whole ADCOM burst out in laughter at how corny it is (I am admittedly not a very good PS writer) or I could be very straightforward and make my case logically. I decided to keep my hook because even though trying to make the ADCOM enthralled by it doesn't matter because chances are 95%+ that they've seen something like it before, what matters is that I showed some enthusiasm for the potential of medicine even if the essay can be construed as "oooh its another funny sound effect-starting essay" by some people. Hopefully others will give me a fighting chance. Even if they laugh at how bad it is, giving some comic relief to the ADCOM during the stressful admissions process would be worth my while. Come on guys, don't tell me you've never made fun of applicants during the meetings?
well... only worth my while if they remembered the laugh and gave me an interview

I know of people who have made up their personal statements and gotten into medical school. This bugs me deeply sometimes because no matter how much I actually accomplish (admittedly not very much), somebody can always just make up a story about saving a person on the airplane and get a leg up. I've decided to stop paying attention to what other people do and make myself the best applicant that I can.
That person is a douche. I have to admit, even as an EMT, I tried to take on things that I was not prepared for and I have been humbled greatly by those experiences (sometimes ending up getting blood, puke, urine, or feces smeared all over me... and yes, looking like a total idiot) but you can only learn by doing. A newbie does not know what they can actually do until they are faced with a challenge and we are all n00bs at this point. well... theres scope of practice too but even within that there are fuzzy spots. However, I agree with the majority that a person with no background training should not even attempt such a thing.
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.
But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
So what you're saying is you are that guy 😉.
8
87138
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.
1
135892
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.
Wow... Atleast you stick up for your toolish brethren
I'll let y'all know when I read that kid's AMCAS essay. I expect it will start something like this...
"Crack! The ball shot off the bat and straight for the young pitcher's head. In a moment he was down and writhing in pain. I rushed to the side of the suffering child but as a mere pre-med there was nothing I could do to help. I watched as others attended to him and I wished that I could do more. I saw the skill with which medical professionals attended to his needs with such skill and caring. Later, I saw the grateful smiles of the little boy's parents and I realized that helping others is the most gratifying work in the world. I want to be a doctor so that I can help others."
Don't mind me but I think I'm going to be using that 😀
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read it... "oh #%#!, that's my essay!"
😆How embarrassing. I think I have an abandoned rough draft that's something along these dramatic lines. It's amazing how silly we all are.
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
But yea, those head injuries can be serious. I've seen some nasty stuff happen. I remember in 5th grade before my game my dad showed me all these images of a kids face that got demolished by a fastball to the face. Thanks dad for scarring me and making me forever afraid of the plate. I played in the age division older than me since I was nearly 6 foot by middle school...somehow they still voted me all-star, despite the fact I was nearly paralyzed at the plate when a pitcher threw the chin music.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 👎
Woah! 😱 lol



If I were the EMT, I'd be laughing my head off! 😛



If I were the EMT, I'd be laughing my head off! 😛
hahaha,that picture is worth so many words.
This thread is now on my favorite list.
Of course, if it also depends on if it was an EMT or a paramedic. If it were a paramedic then I'd want to punch the person. I'm not an EMT, but I know everything to check for and what to do....it isn't that hard. Of course, my dad has also been teaching me how to read CTs and what not for quite some time, so I have a bit of an edge on you others. 😉 I've had some unlucky run ins with EMTs who, when I was injured, did pretty much everything wrong. I actually resorted to splinting my own arm to keep them from screwing stuff up even more.
I don't know about you, but MY mom has been teaching me how to read CTs AND MRIs. Don't get too mad that I have more of an edge on you though. Oh, and I have 1,000+ hours of volunteer time, 5,000 clinical hours, and severe pre-gunnerism. DON'T MIND ME
The bolded segment made meOh, and I have 1,000+ hours of volunteer time, 5,000 clinical hours, and severe pre-gunnerism. DON'T MIND ME

4
45408
I was hoping someone would catch that.
Great movie.
4
45408
😡 I sent you my PS so that you could review it in private, not post it on SDN.I'll let y'all know when I read that kid's AMCAS essay. I expect it will start something like this...
"Crack! The ball shot off the bat and straight for the young pitcher's head. In a moment he was down and writhing in pain. I rushed to the side of the suffering child but as a mere pre-med there was nothing I could do to help. I watched as others attended to him and I wished that I could do more. I saw the skill with which medical professionals attended to his needs with such skill and caring. Later, I saw the grateful smiles of the little boy's parents and I realized that helping others is the most gratifying work in the world. I want to be a doctor so that I can help others."
It's amazing how much they all sound alike. I read quite a few one year and saw the same old same old same old.
Don't worry - I like science and I want to help people.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 851