amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
Hey MS's. I'm starting med school in the fall, and my school starts off the year with a bang: 3 months of anatomy followed by 1 month of biochem.

Here's the thing. I work full-time as a paramedic right now, and we work 24 hour shifts, so I have a lot of spare time at work (when we're not running calls), and I really want to get a leg up on some of the brute memorization in the aforementioned classes.

I know you guys say it's best to "relax" your last spring/summer, and I am - traveling, reading novels, etc - but I also want to study a bit for my own edification.

My question: what pathways, cycles, topics, are GUARANTEED to be required to be memorized, and were the bane of your existence as an MS1? Should I memorize the Kreb cycle, the skeletal/nervous system, or what?? If I had time at work (which I do) to MEMORIZE some things ahead of time, what would be on that list? I have time at work to burn, so I may as well be productive at times. Thanks so much for the input.

omarsaleh66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
amy2003uva said:
Hey MS's. I'm starting med school in the fall, and my school starts off the year with a bang: 3 months of anatomy followed by 1 month of biochem.

Here's the thing. I work full-time as a paramedic right now, and we work 24 hour shifts, so I have a lot of spare time at work (when we're not running calls), and I really want to get a leg up on some of the brute memorization in the aforementioned classes.

I know you guys say it's best to "relax" your last spring/summer, and I am - traveling, reading novels, etc - but I also want to study a bit for my own edification.

My question: what pathways, cycles, topics, are GUARANTEED to be required to be memorized, and were the bane of your existence as an MS1? Should I memorize the Kreb cycle, the skeletal/nervous system, or what?? If I had time at work (which I do) to MEMORIZE some things ahead of time, what would be on that list? I have time at work to burn, so I may as well be productive at times. Thanks so much for the input.

Hey I did my first year at texas tech. U dont need to prepare for biochem, it's easy (and no I didnt take biochem in undergrad), and anatomy, there's no way to prepare for. U really cant do anything right now except waste time.

But if u want to study anyways, maybe u can read Lippincotts Biochem or Moore's Clinical Anatomy every day. I wouldnt suggest review books, cuz they probably wont make anysense. And reading these 2 books aren't much fun. When I worked before med school, I just read books or magazines for entertainment during my free time, and I turned out ok.

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
omarsaleh66 said:
Hey I did my first year at texas tech. U dont need to prepare for biochem, it's easy (and no I didnt take biochem in undergrad), and anatomy, there's no way to prepare for. U really cant do anything right now except waste time.

But if u want to study anyways, maybe u can read Lippincotts Biochem or Moore's Clinical Anatomy every day. I wouldnt suggest review books, cuz they probably wont make anysense. And reading these 2 books aren't much fun. When I worked before med school, I just read books or magazines for entertainment during my free time, and I turned out ok.
hey omar - thanks for the heads up. i was a bio major in undergrad and i took every imaginable upper-level bio class except for biochem, so i was a little worried. i feel better about it now (though i may still check out those books you suggested). :)

any other thoughts?

About the Ads

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
[The following info falls under the category of Things I Wish I had Figured Out Before I Nearly Failed my 1st Semester of BioChem.]

For Medical BioChem, get this metabolic pathways wall chart from Roche Pharm:

http://www.roche-applied-science.com/index.jsp (click on printed materials, then biochem pathways to order)

IT DOESN'T COST YOU A PENNY. They pay shipping too.

This chart gives you a framework on which you can mentally hang all the info you get, which is especially beneficial as a med student b/c of the sheer volume.

BTW, you will have to learn basically EVERYTHING and then some on this chart. If you get it and still feel motivated to get a "head start" on studying, then you are a better man than I (and most likely insane).

NS

[edit}: I think the easier way to get to the order form is here:
http://www.roche-applied-science.com/fst/publications.htm?/publications/request.jsp
Then select "Biochemical Pathways Wall Chart" near the bottom of the form.

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
NotShorty said:
[The following info falls under the category of Things I Wish I had Figured Out Before I Nearly Failed my 1st Semester of BioChem.]

http://www.roche-applied-science.com/index.jsp (click on printed materials, then biochem pathways to order)

This chart gives you a framework on which you can mentally hang all the info you get, which is especially beneficial as a med student b/c of the sheer volume.

BTW, you will have to learn basically EVERYTHING and then some on this chart. If you get it and still feel motivated to get a "head start" on studying, then you are a better man than I (and most likely insane).

NS

http://www.roche-applied-science.com/fst/publications.htm?/publications/request.jsp
hahaha... holy $hit. i remember seeing that chart in a prof's office once upon a time. seeing those pathways makes me feel fortunate that we still have five months until classes start (i did try to order that chart, if nothing else for a good laugh). :laugh:

dsblaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
Its most important that you memorize the key regulated enzymes.

Know glycolysis (important enzymes = PFK I, pyruvate kinase, glucokinase/hexokinase).

Know gluconeogenesis (important enzymes = Pyruvate carboxylase, PEP carboxykinase, Fruc. (1,6) bisphosphatase, gluc-6-phosphatase)

Know the enzyme PFK II and how it is regulated and how its product (either fruc. 6-phosphate or fruc. (2-6) bisphosphate regulate glycolysis or gluconeogenesis).

Know the details of pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme complex.

etc., etc.

Know nucleotide synthesis and degredation and the key enzymes involved and which drugs act on those enzymes.

Lipid metabolism, urea cycle and nitrogen metabolism. . . . I could go on.

there is plenty more to memorize.

Anatomy is too hard to learn without the structure of a class.

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I was just about to say that anatomy is way easier to learn than biochem without class. just pick up a netter's anatomy atlas. pretty self-explanatory. biochem is just plain hard and requires class in my opinion.

i worked full-time as a paramedic before medschool as well and enjoy it...b/c you will miss it a ton!

regardless, don't stress out too much on pre-learning medschool material.

later

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
dsblaha said:
Its most important that you memorize the key regulated enzymes.

Know glycolysis (important enzymes = PFK I, pyruvate kinase, glucokinase/hexokinase).

Know gluconeogenesis (important enzymes = Pyruvate carboxylase, PEP carboxykinase, Fruc. (1,6) bisphosphatase, gluc-6-phosphatase)

Know the enzyme PFK II and how it is regulated and how its product (either fruc. 6-phosphate or fruc. (2-6) bisphosphate regulate glycolysis or gluconeogenesis).

Know the details of pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme complex.

etc., etc.

Know nucleotide synthesis and degredation and the key enzymes involved and which drugs act on those enzymes.

Lipid metabolism, urea cycle and nitrogen metabolism. . . . I could go on.

there is plenty more to memorize.

Anatomy is too hard to learn without the structure of a class.
gawd... thanks for the detailed list, that's exactly what i was looking for! you are awesome.

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
12R34Y said:
I was just about to say that anatomy is way easier to learn than biochem without class. just pick up a netter's anatomy atlas. pretty self-explanatory. biochem is just plain hard and requires class in my opinion.

i worked full-time as a paramedic before medschool as well and enjoy it...b/c you will miss it a ton!

regardless, don't stress out too much on pre-learning medschool material.

later
awww... i know, i am totally going to miss EMS when i'm a student again. maybe not the 2, 3, 4, 5 am wake up calls, though... :)

i'll look for a netter's and peruse it, if nothing else to see what i'll be up against :D

Perrin

sittin in the morning sun
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
The Porch
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
NotShorty said:

NS

I've always wanted one of those charts just so I could intimidate my political science roommate. HAHAHA :laugh:

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Status
Resident [Any Field]
well if you must (and I'm still a hard believer that you shouldn't), here's some anatomy that I think would be good to look at:

-the brachial plexus....you could include how the different locations of fractures of the humerus or other injuries can present clinically (ie wrist drop, waiters tip, clawhand, etc)
-dermatomes and the concept of referred pain of abdominal and pelvic organs

i could go on, but I've decided to stop b/c I really don't think you should study at all.....seriously tho

eralza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
NotShorty said:

NS

Alright, I just checked out the charts and immediately wet myself in fear! However, I had to order them out of fascination. They look like the subway maps of every major city...combined into one! :eek:

davedavedave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
NotShorty said:

NS

we gotta memorize that whooole thing??? and biochem is "easy"????!!!!

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
Perrin said:
I've always wanted one of those charts just so I could intimidate my political science roommate. HAHAHA :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, in my own little nerdy way, I find it so sexy, especially with all my highlighter and notes on it :love:

davedavedave, I don't know about completely "memorize" all of it, but yeah, you gotta know all that (or varying degrees, depending on what grade you're shooting for).

I'm visual, so you'll find that if you are mentally "looking" for the answer to a question, you can visualize where on the chart the answer would fit. That alone makes the task quite a bit more do-able.

NS

donvicious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
I would concentrate on major arteries and nerves for gross anatomy. Don't get bogged down into too much detail right now. Veins and lymph have less emphasis. Eventually you'll need to know the origins and insertions of nearly every muscle in the body except for a few tiny ones.

Biochem is too much to deal with before class starts. Your professor will need to focus your attention on the relevant material. The major anaerobic and aerobic pathways are guaranteed. So is Urea cycle, and major pathways of protein and fat metabolism.

I'm sure I've left a lot out. Hope it helps.

TheRussian

Life Size Mirror
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2004
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
You're all crazy for giving this poor girl any ideas about what to study. She is about to embark on a 4 year journey through medical school which requires an enormous amount of studying with very few breaks and you are giving her ways to extend that pain through the summer? I don't get it.

Stay away from the books and if you don't have to will to do so, get a close friend to guard them from you.

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
TheRussian said:
You're all crazy for giving this poor girl any ideas about what to study. She is about to embark on a 4 year journey through medical school which requires an enormous amount of studying with very few breaks and you are giving her ways to extend that pain through the summer? I don't get it.

Stay away from the books and if you don't have to will to do so, get a close friend to guard them from you.
therussian-

lmao. i know, i know; you are right... i will solicit a close friend to guard the books for me (a friend who is an MS3 at tech gave me her MS1/2 books, so they are sitting in boxes in my closet... if that helps you understand why i might be tempted to take a peek!).

to everyone else- thanks a ton for the recommendations. you guys rock.

Anka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just get a copy of Netter (Anatomy) and start looking through it, familiarize yourself with the names and the images. If you're less of a visual learner and want some text with your pictures, Grant's atlas has more. Basically, get some face rec on this stuff.

Anka

ddmo

BMF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm not flaming, but seriously, don't waste your time. Especially with those pathways! It is mentally impossible to remember that stuff long term, so after 3mo you wont know any of it anyways. Plus you'll spend a week on something on your own that will be covered in an hour in med school.

NotChoCheez!

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2003
TX
Visit site
Status
TO the OP- I tried to do what you're doing. I got an anatomy atlas and tried to study it. BAD IDEA. Every little twig of every little structure is shown, and you don't know what it is and where it came from. I wish I knew then what I know now. A GOOD IDEA would be to find a first year at your school, and get ahold of their anatomy syllabus. This tells the stuff you really need to know, and actually teaches you concepts. If you spend your time learning that, you will be far ahead of everyone else. In medical school, nobody memorizes the atlas, it's just a supplement for the syllabus-which is definite learnable.

About the Ads