please explain pre-matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vett9d1

Dazed and confused
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that a lot of Carib students now are successful with pre-matching. I did a search and nothing came up. Can someone please explain to me this process. Is it only for the people who score the highest or do lots of people get to do it if from SGU AUC etc? What happens if you don't pre-match. Any info on the topic would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

A pre-match is only available to DO students and ECFMG registered students (FMGs and IMGS).

Its when a residency program decides that they want you and offer you a contract or state in writing that they are going to rank you to match so that you must do the same in your rank order list.

Basically, you go through the match process just like any other students, us or not. If a program wants you they might offer you a spot then and there. Most often they wait towards teh end when they see who they really want at the end of teh season and decide whether to offer them or not.

It has nothing to do with scores or certain schools. Its just a matter of whether a program offers them and if they are willing to offer it to you.

Just to add to what Bevo said...

Pre-matching basically allows you to skip the match (which might leave you without a residency spot) and allows you to sign your life away before the match to secure a spot.

Most people go through the match unless you are not sure that they will match, or if the residency program offering a pre-match is their first choice.

Thanks for the info guys it helps make things much more clear.