Please explain this to me....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehanyazdani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read everywhere about schools having rolling/non-rolling admissions, and screening/no screening for secondaries (I think that's what it's called). Anyways, can someone please explain these terms to me and how they affect the admissions process?

Members don't see this ad.

Rolling means they give out acceptances throughout the year, while non-rolling means they wait for a specific date and send out all acceptances.

Screened secondaries refer to schools sending out secondary apps only to some applicants who submit the primary app to the school, versus other nonscreening schools who send them to all who apply.

Thanks! Is there anyway I can see which schools are rolling/non-rolling and screen for secondaries? I haven't come across this information on any med schools website yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
rehanyazdani said:
Thanks! Is there anyway I can see which schools are rolling/non-rolling and screen for secondaries? I haven't come across this information on any med schools website yet.
Buy the MSAR. They tell you there, and they tell you other stuff in rather gory detail.

jebus said:
Buy the MSAR. They tell you there, and they tell you other stuff in rather gory detail.

Thanks for the help! Any idea when the new MSAR comes out?

Rolling admissions is when they select and notify applicants of their admissions (or rejection) while the admissions process is incomplete and on-going. Non-rolling admissions is when they review all applicants and, at the end of that process, select and notify their admittees and rejectees. With non-selected(ive) secondaries, anyone who indicates an interest in the school on their primary AMCAS application is invited to submit a secondary, with selected(ive, screened) secondaries, the school reviews primary applications and then invites secondaries only from a selected group.