Please forgive me if this is a stupid question

Started by Tarabara
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tarabara

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think i know the answer to this but umm is it possible to just be an obstetrician? not an ob/gyn?
 
I think i know the answer to this but umm is it possible to just be an obstetrician? not an ob/gyn?

Yes, it's possible to do only OB. You could do MFM (who are obstetricians for high-risk pregnancies), be a laborist, or just do regular OB.

However, as a resident, you have to do BOTH OB and gyn. You can't avoid that.
 
smq123's post is dead on. The only thing I'd like to add is that the board is considering the possibility of separate obstetrics and gynecology tracks, but this is in its infancy stages and will likely not get far as there is a great deal of opposition to the idea. Many of us in the field, feel that regardless of your subspecialization/career specifics, you should be well versed in both OB and GYN.

Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meanwhile, I wish there was a way to only train in and practice GYN.

Or, UroGyn, to be more specific...without having to do it via residency then fellowship.

I'm afraid the OB (specifically deliveries) part has discouraged me from going into the only field of medicine I truly "liked" during 3rd year.
 
Meanwhile, I wish there was a way to only train in and practice GYN.

Or, UroGyn, to be more specific...without having to do it via residency then fellowship.

I'm afraid the OB (specifically deliveries) part has discouraged me from going into the only field of medicine I truly "liked" during 3rd year.


What about a urology residency and then a urogyn fellowship?