Please give me information about UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wnnr1119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most students have mentioned about a school in WESTERN or EASTERN area. It seems like no one is interesting in choosing a school in SOUTHERN area. Anyway, is there anyone who is studying at "UF PHARM SCHOOL"? If so, please share some information with me about UF, especially pre-reqs. Did UF accept CC pre-reqs when you applied?
P.S Sorry about a grammer thing on my post cuz I'm not an American..@@

Members don't see this ad.

What does UF stand for? Florida??

UF stands for University of Florida.. I guess you have never heard of this school.. By the way, where are you living?? Which school are you going to apply? UF is a good Pharm school in southern area..

Members don't see this ad :)
UF stands for University of Florida.. I guess you have never heard of this school.. By the way, where are you living?? Which school are you going to apply? UF is a good Pharm school in southern area..

I"m from Louisiana, so i'm only applying to schools around here and one state away. :D

We got some statistics during orientation a couple weeks ago. UF received about 2400 pharmcas applications last cycle and 1900 of those apps were complete. I can't remember the exact number, but I think about 150 people were accepted to the Gainesville campus and about 60-80 people for each distant campus in St. Pete, Jacksonville and Orlando. The average PCAT score was 85 and average GPA was 3.6. 90% of everyone accepted were Florida residents. I think there were maybe 10-20 people accepted out of state but they had to have outstanding applications. Oh, and they usually don't give out interviews unless something is weird with your application.. and they accept CC credits.

Prereqs can be found here: http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolFloridapage.htm

If you are an in-state resident of Florida, then just go to UF, it is cheaper, then any other school, even if you are in commuting distance of NOVA or PBA.

My degree was in business so I had to take almost all my preregs when I decided to go back to school. All of them were at CC because of the location and it didn't seem to have matter to the adcom.

We got some statistics during orientation a couple weeks ago. UF received about 2400 pharmcas applications last cycle and 1900 of those apps were complete. I can't remember the exact number, but I think about 150 people were accepted to the Gainesville campus and about 60-80 people for each distant campus in St. Pete, Jacksonville and Orlando. The average PCAT score was 85 and average GPA was 3.6. 90% of everyone accepted were Florida residents. I think there were maybe 10-20 people accepted out of state but they had to have outstanding applications. Oh, and they usually don't give out interviews unless something is weird with your application.. and they accept CC credits.

Prereqs can be found here: http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolFloridapage.htm

Thank you for your information.. Did you mention they don't usually give out interviews... That's a great news.. How about extra activities .. Do they want applicants' numerous working experieces or any specific licenses that relate to pharmacy.. anyway thanks..

My degree was in business so I had to take almost all my preregs when I decided to go back to school. All of them were at CC because of the location and it didn't seem to have matter to the adcom.

Do you have MBA certification or other things..? Just wonder.. So, are you currently studying at UF pharms or still preparing to apply...??? Anyway thank you for your response..

How come you didnt go for an MBA? They usually do pretty good.

Thank you for your information.. Did you mention they don't usually give out interviews... That's a great news.. How about extra activities .. Do they want applicants' numerous working experieces or any specific licenses that relate to pharmacy.. anyway thanks..

High GPA and PCAT seem to be the most important factors for UF. Coming in third would be your personal statement and fourth would be extra curriculars. It doesn't seem like they found working experience or a pharmacy tech license as very important for most applicants...

High GPA and PCAT seem to be the most important factors for UF. Coming in third would be your personal statement and fourth would be extra curriculars. It doesn't seem like they found working experience or a pharmacy tech license as very important for most applicants...

Thank you for your information.. I have read so many threads, and most students have been anxiety and nervous about being invited interview.. I Ironically think that UF doean't care about interview unlike an application is really weird, so applicants can reduce a big burden because if they mess up interview, everything will be gone even though they do their best (high GPA, PACT, a lot of working experience, and extra curriculars). How many cc students can be seleted? At Gainsville campus, around 135 spots= 50~60 (major in pre-pharm at UF), 30~40 ( applicants who have bachelor degrees), less than 30 ( AA degree or equivalent ) - I am in this case..

I think the ratio of accepted students with bachelors vs. 2 years of undergrad was about 50%/50%. I don't think they really care where they take your courses at, whether it's a university or CC. Being a UF student doesn't seem to give you much of an edge either, everyone has equal chances so long as they're floridians.

I know a pharmacist who knows some of the admission commitee members ; he is on the alumni committee and gets students for their retail rotation from UF. I know that he said the following which he had heard from members of the committee.

1. They do not care whether CC or university. IN fact the pharmacy school has a recruiting schedule at different community colleges, even at some community colleges that are considered not as good in the state.

2. Being from UF does not give you an advantage. They just care about in-state.

3. They ONLY AVERAGE THE GRADES IN THE FOLLOWING COURSES, NOTHING ELSE: (Physics I, II, Chemistry I, II, Biology I, II, Organic I, II, Calculus I, Anatomy and Physiology I, II). They require speech but do not average the grade.

The average GPA in ONLY those courses is 3.6 of those who are admitted.
Average COMPOSITE PCAT of those admitted. was 88 two years ago, could be as low as 85 or as high as 90. Do not get a score lower than 50 in any section.

After those two factors are looked at (THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES), then they look at extracurriculars / pharmacy experience. HOwever GPA and PCAT HEAVILY OUTWEIGH the other stuff, that other schools such as Palm Beach Atlantic would put more emphasis on.

I know that it is sometimes more convenient to take these classes at a Florida CC, I have an AA from one of the Florida community colleges, and I was able to get 46 credits and my AA done in only two summers and a spring and a fall semester. And I took a large load because I could adjust my schedule between two different campuses of the CC.

I would just take the courses at CC if I were you, since UF DEFINITELY DOES NOT CARE WHERE THE PREREQS ARE TAKEN FOR THEIR PHARMACY SCHOOL. And I know this as a fact.

Do you have MBA certification or other things..? Just wonder.. So, are you currently studying at UF pharms or still preparing to apply...??? Anyway thank you for your response..

I have my MBA. Just started 3rd year at UF.

I know a pharmacist who knows some of the admission commitee members ; he is on the alumni committee and gets students for their retail rotation from UF. I know that he said the following which he had heard from members of the committee.

1. They do not care whether CC or university. IN fact the pharmacy school has a recruiting schedule at different community colleges, even at some community colleges that are considered not as good in the state.

2. Being from UF does not give you an advantage. They just care about in-state.

3. They ONLY AVERAGE THE GRADES IN THE FOLLOWING COURSES, NOTHING ELSE: (Physics I, II, Chemistry I, II, Biology I, II, Organic I, II, Calculus I, Anatomy and Physiology I, II). They require speech but do not average the grade.

The average GPA in ONLY those courses is 3.6 of those who are admitted.
Average COMPOSITE PCAT of those admitted. was 88 two years ago, could be as low as 85 or as high as 90. Do not get a score lower than 50 in any section.

After those two factors are looked at (THE MOST IMPORTANT ONES), then they look at extracurriculars / pharmacy experience. HOwever GPA and PCAT HEAVILY OUTWEIGH the other stuff, that other schools such as Palm Beach Atlantic would put more emphasis on.

I know that it is sometimes more convenient to take these classes at a Florida CC, I have an AA from one of the Florida community colleges, and I was able to get 46 credits and my AA done in only two summers and a spring and a fall semester. And I took a large load because I could adjust my schedule between two different campuses of the CC.

I would just take the courses at CC if I were you, since UF DEFINITELY DOES NOT CARE WHERE THE PREREQS ARE TAKEN FOR THEIR PHARMACY SCHOOL. And I know this as a fact.

This is very important information.. Thanks million.. How about English classes (English Composion I&2)? Those classes would be my weakness. Are you appling to pharms or already studying at a pharms? What classes were hard to you?? Just wondering....

I am not in pharmacy, but I am PhD in statistics , and the jobs are in the pharmaceutical industry, or at the FDA, in research hospitals such as Duke or the cleveland clinic, or in academia. However, my aunt is a pharmacist and she graduated from the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy in 1981, and she went to pharmacy school directly after high school. She works at Walgreens under this particular pharmacy manager that is on the alumni committee at UF. So I am very, very familiar with the pharmacy field. I am originally from south Florida but now live in North Carolina.

I was just wondering about international students in PharmD programs as well. The composition of the students in my PhD program are 40% China, 40% US, and 20% mostly other Asian countries.

I know that if you get a PhD in pharmaceutics, then there is a very interesting sector called pharmacokinetics, which is a combination of applied mathematics (differential equations), biochemistry, and a lot of physiology. To me this is the most interesting area in pharmacy if perhaps maybe the most difficult as well. The jobs are as highly paid as a pharmacist if not even higher. However, if you look at who is in the PhD program, and NOT the PharmD program there are mostly international students. However, I know that you cannot take out the Stafford loan if you are not at least a green card holder. And that is why you do not see the foreign students in the PharmD program. Simply because of finances.

IN terms of classes that are hard for me. Well, my current classes that are at the PhD level are very difficult. IN terms of pharmacy school, I would think that pharmaceutics would be most difficult and anything that requries a very thorough understanding of biochemistry. Therapeutics I think would also be a very hard class. Organic chemistry is a very important prerequisite course since it is the foundation for biochemistry.

UF is a very difficult pharmacy school in terms of coursework, since they are research based. In many of the classes, you have to do projects. Hence the faculty are hoping that you really try to explore clinical pharmacy and fields outside of retail. Hence, many of the classes go beyond the scope of the minimum. However, retail may not last forever. And there are many other type of positions in academia, as well as the private sector, if you combine the PharmD with either a FELLOWSHIP RESIDENCY, or a PhD, or an MBA.

I have a friend who has PharmD/MBA from UF and she did a fellowship at Novartis, and eventually worked there. However, she decided that industry is not for her and she is back in south Florida as a pharmacy manager at one of the CVS stores.

English is not looked at for UF. But try to do well anyway. You still have the verbal on the PCAT. DO not worry, many Chinese in my class know how to study and got higher than my GRE verbal score which was in the 94th percentile, even though I am a US citizen. So practice with SAT verbal and GRE verbal sections.

Finally, as far as the other two Florida schools. Nova looks at all grades and the science GPA separately, and Palm Beach Atlantic is very, very religious. So in Florida, UF > NOVA > Palm Beach Atlantic > FAMU. I do not know anything about FAMU, but it is impossible to get in there unless you go to their undergrad.

Which country are you from?

Good luck!!!

I am not in pharmacy, but I am PhD in statistics , and the jobs are in the pharmaceutical industry, or at the FDA, in research hospitals such as Duke or the cleveland clinic, or in academia. However, my aunt is a pharmacist and she graduated from the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy in 1981, and she went to pharmacy school directly after high school. She works at Walgreens under this particular pharmacy manager that is on the alumni committee at UF. So I am very, very familiar with the pharmacy field. I am originally from south Florida but now live in North Carolina.

I was just wondering about international students in PharmD programs as well. The composition of the students in my PhD program are 40% China, 40% US, and 20% mostly other Asian countries.

I know that if you get a PhD in pharmaceutics, then there is a very interesting sector called pharmacokinetics, which is a combination of applied mathematics (differential equations), biochemistry, and a lot of physiology. To me this is the most interesting area in pharmacy if perhaps maybe the most difficult as well. The jobs are as highly paid as a pharmacist if not even higher. However, if you look at who is in the PhD program, and NOT the PharmD program there are mostly international students. However, I know that you cannot take out the Stafford loan if you are not at least a green card holder. And that is why you do not see the foreign students in the PharmD program. Simply because of finances.

IN terms of classes that are hard for me. Well, my current classes that are at the PhD level are very difficult. IN terms of pharmacy school, I would think that pharmaceutics would be most difficult and anything that requries a very thorough understanding of biochemistry. Therapeutics I think would also be a very hard class. Organic chemistry is a very important prerequisite course since it is the foundation for biochemistry.

UF is a very difficult pharmacy school in terms of coursework, since they are research based. In many of the classes, you have to do projects. Hence the faculty are hoping that you really try to explore clinical pharmacy and fields outside of retail. Hence, many of the classes go beyond the scope of the minimum. However, retail may not last forever. And there are many other type of positions in academia, as well as the private sector, if you combine the PharmD with either a FELLOWSHIP RESIDENCY, or a PhD, or an MBA.

I have a friend who has PharmD/MBA from UF and she did a fellowship at Novartis, and eventually worked there. However, she decided that industry is not for her and she is back in south Florida as a pharmacy manager at one of the CVS stores.

English is not looked at for UF. But try to do well anyway. You still have the verbal on the PCAT. DO not worry, many Chinese in my class know how to study and got higher than my GRE verbal score which was in the 94th percentile, even though I am a US citizen. So practice with SAT verbal and GRE verbal sections.

Finally, as far as the other two Florida schools. Nova looks at all grades and the science GPA separately, and Palm Beach Atlantic is very, very religious. So in Florida, UF > NOVA > Palm Beach Atlantic > FAMU. I do not know anything about FAMU, but it is impossible to get in there unless you go to their undergrad.

Which country are you from?

Good luck!!!

I come from south korea, and your thread was really encourageous.. Thanks for your infos. As you know, many Asians students are smart and doing well in a class at any college in the U.S. In china, a friend of mine said it is very difficult to get into a professional school unless you are really intelligent. In parms in the U.S, students are more concern math and science classes than others, but in Asia country, students have to get all As' from various classes include music and drawing in a high school. It sounds weird, but it is true. No "B" will be allowed by any professional school in Asia. 99.9 % Applicants usually high school students and directly go to a 4 years pharms program In Korea. People don't much try to go there unless they are young. in society of Korea, people hardly get a job even though they have a good college carrer because whole society is serious considering an age. If you are over 30 years, you might not easily get a job there although you have a college degree.. That's suck.. People in U.S should be happy because there are so many opportunities studying for any field of study.. Science fields such as medicine, pharmacy, dentistry in Asia, people extremely love to persue because of money.. That's why students do work hard in a high school to get into profess school. Studying is on option to have good life in the U.S, but some poor countires, studying is "EVERYTHING" to "Survive" in a unrealstic society. in Japan, I have few friends, and they said that they had to focus on studying everyday. It is a full of suprised facts that high students can take classes whatever they want in the U.S, but I didn't. That is too long story .. I don't know what I will be doing after 10 years, but I am not going to quit studying as long as my financial is o.k. I am wondering what kind of job you are going to have after finishe a school? You are not interesting in being a pharmacist. That would fit you in I guess.. Thanks for your info.. Good luck!!